400 Cc Moderate Implant on a 34B, 5'6 150 Lbs. Will That Give Me a Small D?

Going for breast augmentation next week, asked for a small D or full C, ps suggested 400cc left and 405 cc right with cresant lift.. Will I get what I'm looking for? Really hoping for a 32-34 D.

Implant Sizing to Achieve your goals

It is very difficult to predict what cup size you will be after your procedure.  Cup sizes are not standardized.  So a D cup in one designer could be a C cup or B cup in another designer.   This is the approach I use to help guide my patients with their implant size selection:

I consider two factors when selecting implants for my patients:

1.Dimensional planning
2.Gel Implant Sizing system

Dimensional planning – The measurements of your chest wall are taken. Also, the breast dimensions including the height, width, and current dimensions of each breast form the basis of dimensional planning. Based on these measurements, the implant size is recommended. This will give you a unique breast implant that is suited for your body frame. However, there are some limitations of what size we can recommend. For instance, some implants may just be too big for a narrow chest wall. Your surgeon can review this with you during the consultation.

Gel Implant Sizing system – During the preliminary breast implant consultation, you will be provided with an option to “try on” a variety of implant shapes and sizes. You can also visualize the possible outcomes of your surgery which helps you to get that perfect size to give you the shape that you longed for. This way your preferences are known and you can then pick a range of implants that will “fit” just right to give a soft natural fuller look.  If you have decided on saline implants, then based on the gel sizer you select, we can guide you to the saline implant that achieves a similar look.
Hope this helps.
Dr. Basu
Houston, TX

Small implant and simultaneous lift

At size 34 each 100 cc’s of implant corresponds to 1 cup size change.  200 cc implants would take you from a 34 B to a 34 D.  Unfortunately, you have not provided any photographs.  If you require a lift, the crescent lift is usually inadequate.  There is a new technique called Breast Augmentation with Mini Ultimate Breast Lift.  Using only a circumareola incision it is possible to reshape your breast tissue creating upper pole fullness, elevate them higher on the chest wall and more medial to increase your cleavage.  Through the same incision, implants can be placed.  Aligning the areola, breast tissue and implant over the bony prominence of the chest wall maximizes anterior projection with a minimal size implant.  Small silicone gel implants placed retro-pectoral look and feel more natural, are more stable, less likely to ripple or have complications needing revision. 

Best Wishes,

Gary Horndeski, M.D.

Gary M. Horndeski, MD
Texas Plastic Surgeon

Maybe just a little more!

Taking into account your height and weight, and the fact that you are starting at a B cup, I would imagine 400 cc will get you closer to a full C than a small D.  I would probably recommend 450 cc or so for a D.  Having said that, I have not examined you while presumably your surgeon has so I would be inclined to follow his or her advise.

G. Robert Meger, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Size post aug

Without photos it is hard to predict.I always try to maximize size so post op it looks natural and not artificial.You want it to be proportional to your figur.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

400 cc mod plus implant-Will this give me a smallD?

It is diffcult to answer without a photo. In my experience, this size implant, at your small size, may put you in a D or larger. 

Janet Woodyard, MD

Best Breast Implant Size/ Profile for Me?

Thank you for the question and picture. Despite good intentions, online consultants will not be able to provide you with  meaningful specific advice.  Ultimately, in person consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be necessary. Careful measurements, dimensional planning, and careful communication will be key.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering  breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully.  Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you're looking for. Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals  with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining  breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 
In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as  “natural” or "C or small D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.
 Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

3.  Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly,  allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals.  Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery.

I hope this (and the attached link) help.

Implants and Bra Size

I use two methods for sizing patients in my practice, implant sizers and VECTRA 3D imaging. Bra sizes are made up by a company. For example you may be a "D" in Victoria's Secret but something else with a different designer. If you went through one or both of the sizing methods I listed, then it simply comes down to whether or not you liked what you saw. Size is very personal and each patient sees it differently. Best of Luck!

Jeffrey Hartog, MD