Will Getting a Breast Tattoo Cause my Saline Implants to Deflate?

I recently got saline under the muscle implants a few days ago. I like them. I chose saline so I could get the scarless breast augmentation via TUBA. I scar easily and I did not want any new scars. Anyway, I have a birth mark at the upper part of my boob. I want to get a small butterfly tattoo over it. But, will the tattoo needle cause the implant to develop a hole and deflate? Maybe I am being paranoid but better safe than sorry. Thanks!

The act of placing a tattoo will not damage the implant.

Placement of a tattoo will not damage the breast implant unless the person placing the tattoo is drunk or out of his mind on drugs.

Tattoo After Breast Augmentation

If done by a professional tattoo artist, it should be fine I get a tattoo on your breast. The tattoo needle does not go very deep in the skin, so the implant will not be at risk. Before covering a birthmark with ink, I would recommend that you have the spot evaluated by a Dermatologist. 

Lawrence Iteld, MD

Will be ok

Tattoo should not cause your saline implants to deflate since the needle is small and only the deep layer of the dermis is penetrated.  This means the needle is only introduced about 1-2 mm deep. What is more important may be to be placed on an antibiotic for a couple of days to prevent a capsular contracture which may be caused from a low grade localized infection. Any patient of mine who considers getting a tattoo or piercing, I regularly place them on a five day course of antibiotics.

Best of luck.

Patrick W. Hsu, MD, FACS

Not if tattoo artist knows what they are doing

As always, ask your surgeon first for his/her opinion, but a properly done professional tattoo should not deflate an implant.

Evan Sorokin, MD
Cherry Hill Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo Will Not Deflate Saline Implants

Assuming that you are using a professional tattoo artist, you needn't woory about the tattooing causing a deflation of your implants.  The tattoo pigment is placed in the skin which is far from your implants, especially if they are submuscular.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

Congratulations on having undergone the breast augmentation procedure. No, obtaining a tattoo will not puncture the breast implant.  Best wishes.

Safe but better to wait a bit

It would probably be okay however you should make sure to go to an experienced and reputable tattoo artist whom you can trust. You don't want to compromise your health with a possible infection! The tattoo needle is very short and will not penetrate your skin to the depth of where your implant is located. However, please make sure you wait a few weeks to recover more from your surgery before getting the tattoo.

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Tattoo rupture a saline implant?

Thank you for your question.  No, getting a tattoo will not jeopardize your implants.  The ink is placed within the skin and the needle never goes below this.  It would be nearly impossible to pop the implant.  

Best of luck.

Brian C. Reuben, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Tattoo after a breast augmentation no risk of rupture

A tattoo only goes into the superficial dermis and will have not effect on your implants.  The tattoo should be just fine.  

Breast Implants and Tattooing

A tattoo needle will not go below the level of the skin while your breast implants are much deeper. So you are perfectly safe to get a tattoo on the breast with breast implants.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD