Can a 40 year silicon breast implant have micro leaks? They gave me an MRI and can't find leakage.
Doctor Answers 9
Implants might leak
- I am sorry about your illness.
- You should have your implants removed without delay in my opinion.
- You don't need an MRI to know if the old implants leaked.
- All the older implants had gel that clearly leaked through the shell.
- This leak may have nothing to do with your symptoms -
- but with an un-diagnosed illness affecting your lungs, the implants need to be removed.
- It needs to be done with general anesthesia - there may be free silicone in the implant pocket and as much as possible should be removed.
- Discuss with your plastic surgeon and pulmonologist if an attempt should be made to biopsy a lymph node at the time or do a lung biopsy, if one has not already been done.
- Silicone will show up on biopsy - its absence or presence might help answer some questions.
- Hope this helps. Best wishes.
Breast Implant Possible Leak?
Dr Dhaval Patel
Double Board Certified
Breast implants made before the mid nineties can have "microleaks."
Issue 2 - MRI detection of leaks. The best data we have shows that the MRI is 90% accurate in detecting leaks when one is suspected by a plastic surgeon. It is the most accurate test we have short of operating and checking the implant by hand.
Issue 3 - Unknown Illness. While there are been case reports of women feeling better after removing their breast implants, large studies fail to demonstrate an increased incidence of any diseases in women with breast implants. Breast implants do not seem to increase a woman's risk of connective tissue disorders in particular. Removing your breast implants does not have a statistically significant change of curing your illness.
While removing your breast implants may not help you feel better, keeping them is an elective decision. The risks and benefits need to be evaluated with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Removing intact Breast Implants is relatively simple. According to your MRI, you have a 90% of them being intact; however, there is a 10% chance that your breast implants are ruptured, and this can make surgery more complicated. If you did not have the MRI, pre 1985 breast implants probably have a 50/50 chance of being ruptured, and all of them have gel bleed, and this is reason enough to seriously consider having the implants exchanged or removed.
You might also like...
MRI scan is not100% accurate in diagnosing implant rupture.
40 year old silicone imlants
Time to replace Breast Implants
40 year old breast implants
It is time to replace the implants or have them removed and do a lift.
It's uncertain whether that will help your symptoms; hopefully it will, but independent of that issue, it is time to deal with the implants.
40 year old silicone gel implants
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.