I pulled a long white string out of my nipple after Breast Augmentation. Will I be okay? (photos)

I am two weeks post op for my breast implants with a lift and I noticed a white string sticking out of my nipple so when I sanitized a tweezers and pulled on it I did not realize it was going to be about 6 inches long. I am sure this must be an internal stitch because none of my outer stitches were this color. I bled a little, put bacitracin and a band aid on it. Am I going to be OK or is this going to cause me any problems it was pulled out? I am worried I might be bleeding on the inside now?

Ask your surgeon

what the white suture was used for... if it was a purse-string like in Benelli lifts, there could be some stretching of the scar.  If it was for something else, your surgeon should be able to let you know if there are any concerns about it.

Stitch from breast surgery

It appears from your photo with the type of scar that is shown that you had a Donut Mastopexy (Bennelli).  The stitch appears to have been a permanent buried stitch  that helps to hold the areola skin edges together and the shape of the areola.  The shape of your areola may change and widen over time.  Please contact your surgeon to discuss this.  Thanks for the question.

Steven Svehlak, MD

Suture removed

You have pulled a suture that was placed during your procedure.  It is not likely to make a difference in the immediate healing, but it could make a difference in the breast shape or scars over time.  If it was sticking out of the incision, it would have to be trimmed or removed anyway. It is best to contact your surgeon and find out what needs to be done next, if anything.

I pulled a long white string out of my nipple after Breast Augmentation. Will I be okay?

See your operative surgeon for follow up care!!! You should NEVER self treat... especially following a surgery... 

Suture spitfourweeks after breast augmentation with a lift

Thank you for your question.  The white thread you pulled out is a suture that was used to close your areola after your breast lift.  This is not uncommon and from your photograph the wound appears not to be infected.  However I would urge you to contact her plastic surgeon for an examination and evaluation.

Pulled out suture

Thank you for your breast implant question.

• It's always worrying when things like this happen.
  • Yes, you almost certainly pulled out a suture from your lift.
  • You should call and let your surgeon know what happened.
  • No, when sutures slide out like this, there is rarely any bleeding.
  • It sounds as though you did things exactly right.
Hope this helps. Best wishes.,

Suture material...

Hello and thanks for your post. It looks like you pulled a suture from your breast incision. It's impossible to tell what type of suture it is simply based on the photos, but it might be made out of Gore-tex?? I suggest you check with your plastic surgeon about what to expect now that the suture has been removed. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD