Does liposuction make other parts of your body bigger?

What is the truth to all the claims that getting lipo will make fat return in other areas? Are they simply talking if there is significant weight gain after the liposuction? I also read somewhere that our bodies have a "pre-determined" number of fat cells so removing some means they will just read cumulate elsewhere? I've always been pretty proportional before I had kids and don't want to have a TT and lipo only to end up with huge thighs and butt!

Fat gain after lipo

liposuction should be thought of as a lifestyle change rather than a weight loss procedure. Most women I have treated become motivated and continue to lose weight, exercise and watch their calories. Don't let those stories dissuade you and seek out a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Dr Derby

Thank you for your question. It is important to maintain a healthy and fit life style because otherwise you will gain the weight back gradually. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

Fat Distribution after Liposuction

Removing fat by any means results in you needing less calories to maintain your new weight. If there is no change in your lifestyle then you will gradually gain your weight back as the excess calories will be stored as fat. Areas that were previously suctioned will tend to store less fat and therefore other areas of your body will typically get larger. How much larger they become depends upon how much fat was removed and how much weight you gain back. Modest weight gains make little difference. However, large volume liposuctions with subsequent large weight gains can cause fat to appear disproportionately in other areas of your body. The take away is to use liposuction as an aid or adjunct to dieting and exercise and not as a stand alone solution.  Best of Luck   Dr Harell

Liposyuction - will other areas get bigger?

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.
  • The flank liposuction done with a tummy tuck is usually a small amount and does not cause a problem.
  • But - if you have liposuction, some of the fat cells in that area are removed.
  • If you continue to eat the same amount after liposuction the excess fat will be stored in other areas.
  • If you eat less, there is no excess fat to store.
  • If you eat more, fat will appear in all areas including the area of liposuction.
  • Usually the fat moves upward - so flank fat, if removed and fat returns, is likely to show up spread across the lower back, not in the hips or thighs.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Fat distribution after Liposuction

Hi, this is a common myth that surrounds the issue of Liposuction, and has been examined closely in the Plastic Surgery fraternity. If your body weight stays stable overtime then the results of your liposuction also stay stable and you generally don't deposit fat in other areas of your body. The same can't be said for a patient who keeps on putting on weight after the liposuction procedure. hope this helps, Dr Prashant Murugkar

Prashant Murugkar, MD
India Plastic Surgeon