When my plastic surgeon says he would like to remove 650 grams of breast tissue, is this each breast?

I recently met with a plastic surgeon to discuss breast reduction for medical reasons. During the consultation, he mentioned that when he entered my measurements, he would be looking at removing roughly 650 grams of breast tissues and fat. Is this each breast? I am currently a 38G/GG and would like to go as small as safely possible.

Weight of tissue removed with breast reduction surgery?

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.  Yes, generally when a plastic surgeons states 650 gram removal, he/she is referring to each breast; of course, you will be best off seeking clarification from your own plastic surgeon.

Generally speaking, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly. The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue; if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola) may be compromised. Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible) then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival. 

My best suggestion:  seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. This careful selection of plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso.  I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “B or C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs.   I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps.  Best wishes.

Breast reduction

You will need to ask your surgeon if it is 650 gms/breast or 650 gms total.  You could also check with your insurance company and they should be able to tell who how much is required after entering your height and weight.  Your surgeon should also be able to tell you approximately what size you will be after removing that amount of tissue..

Good luck,

Dr. Luong

Jacqueline Anne Luong, MD, FACS
Edina Plastic Surgeon