I'd Have Done It Differently Had I Known Everything 'Up Front' - Fleming Island, FL

My 30+ year old implants had failed and needed...

My 30+ year old implants had failed and needed replacement. I told Dr. Fee that I had two different size implants because my original surgery was to correct a significant asymmetry. I made it clear to him that I wanted to remain symmetrical and look he same. He sold me on his services by saying that he had all size implants in the operating room, which I knew was not standard. He then put the same size implants in each breast. He had neglected to tell me in pre-op discussion that he didn't think the way to balance was by using different size implants. I found out in the post-op visit that he proposed to reduce the breast tissue in the larger one in yet another surgery.

After the original surgery, I was perfectly proportionate. Now I have two completely different size breasts, one a D and one a DD. I can't buy bras that fit, my blouses pull to one side constantly and my friends have noticed and asked if I've had 'anything done'. I'm absolutely miserable and I've never been more self-conscience in my life. Now, I don't even want my husband to see me undressed. Had Dr. Fee told me in the consultation that he would use the same size implants, instead of the different sizes which keep me symmetrical all these years, I would have immediately gone elsewhere. PLEASE ASK ALL PERTINENT QUESTIONS IN ADVANCE BEFORE CHOOSING THIS DOCTOR! Also, DO NOT NEGLECT TO GET AT LEAST THREE OPINIONS, as I had originally planned to do before I let Dr. Fee talk me out of it!

Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon

His neglecting to tell me he would not use different size implants has impacted my day to day life in an extremely negative way. As a real estate professional I would lose my license over less than this. I chose him in a consultation because he said all the right things; but when given the opportunity, he omitted to tell me the one thing that would have taken me elsewhere immediately.

I 'm very picky and expect only the best due to having my intial breast augmentation 10 years ago by another PS that did'nt provide the outcome I had seeked-I wanted a size D, he overfiled me with DDD, having overfilled and hard breast for years I was relunctant in seeking another PS, however with age and wanting comfort, I did my extensive research for a great PS- and in knowing people that highly recommended Dr.Fee, I made an appointment with Dr.Fee, starting with the staff making my appointment for consultation I was provided excellent service, kindness. Dr. Fee made me feel comfortable and was very patient with all my questions and concerns. I knew that I had found the PS that I could put my trust in- I am 11 days post op having R&R-( removal of old overfilled saline implants with replacement of memory gels) he and his staff are the BEST :) I 'm in great appreciation in finding Dr. Fee for all my needs . I am planning abdominplasty next- You're never too old to feel your best! Many thanks to Dr. Fee and staff :)
I was getting ready to post my own review when I happen to run across your post. I feel the need to post a response for anyone else that may come across your post. I too had surgery in November 2011. I was made aware of ANY issues that may arise by Dr. Fee and I had not had previous surgery to even know what questions to ask. After my procedure, I had issues with my healing not going accordingly not to any fault of mine nor Dr. Fee...what impressed me was that he was extremely attentive and concerned. I had his cell number if I needed anything, they provided any and all medications and bandages that I may have needed as well as any special request I had. The staff was wonderful during the several months of recovering I ended up having and without even asking, he provided the necessary reconstruction I needed because HE wanted outcome to be what he thought I wanted and had paid for. I am sorry that you do not feel the same. I have recommended Dr. Fee and his staff to many, many people and will continue to do so. Extremely happy with my breast reduction and abdominalplasty!!
Dear Kim, Thank you for the comments and I do take your concerns seriously. Your case was not as simple as you describe on the internet and without all of the facts, you can appear misleading both to doctors who are trying to help you and the public which really does not understand. Having different size implants that are over 30 years old and ruptured is differentnow than when you had your surgery 35 years ago. In the face of rupture with old gel implants, the inflammatory process is significant and the scar tissue (capsule) surrounding the implants requires removing as well. The size you become after the inflammatory process subsides and the scar tissue is removed will take months to decipher. Since the implants were so old we could not read them. Putting in identical implants makes perfect sense despite your previous history. Since I only was able to see you once one week from your surgery (November 2011) I think you are doing yourself a disservice by not following through to see where to go. Hope you are well otherwise. We are available to you should you wish to reconsider your circumstances.
Dear Dr. Fee, I by no means thought my surgery was simple and I provided the same relevant details on the internet that were provided to you prior to surgery. Thank you for acknowledging that I did not have all the facts. You were the professional that was supposed to provide those facts. The very facts that are out now that would have taken me to another surgeon. During the consultation I told you I had thirty three year old implants, they were different sizes to make me symmetrical and that I had been diagnosed with capsular contraction. I asked for two things, that the implants be replaced and that I look the same after surgery as I did in the consultation. You indicated there would be no problem whatsoever. When you discharged me, you said, "Well, I'm happy if you're happy", to which I responded that I would be if I came out even. You said I was probably still swollen. When I came in on 3-6-12 with my husband to show you the difference and to tell you that I wasn't happy, you asked how I was feeling. I told you I was feeling great because I was no longer in pain. You advised me to concentrate on the positive. When I asked you a very straight question, "Is this the best you could do with what I brought you?," you appeared to take offense at the question and you never answered me. Believe me, I meant no offense. I was very aware that I was not twenty-four years old, I didn't have the skin tone I had at that age and that I had capsular contraction when I came to you. When asked why you didn't use different size implants, as that's what I had before, your response was that you didn't consider using different sizes the proper way to compensate for the difference. You had no right to withhold that information from me when I told you in the initial consultation that I currently had, and would need different size implants. You stated, in fact, that not all surgeons in Jacksonville had all different sizes in surgery, but that you did. You now say you saw me only once after the surgery. If you check your sign-in sheets you will see that I was there on 11-23-11 to see you for the first post op; on 11-29-11 for the sutures to be removed, at which time I did not see you; on 12-8-11 when you discharged me; and again on 3-6-12 when I came in to show you the difference in size. A difference by your measurement that is three inches in one breast over another. You say you take my concerns seriously. I came back to you and told you I wasn't happy; I don't remember any discussion of my options for following through to see where to go, as you put it. I would have welcomed getting the outcome I paid for. Simply put, had you told me you would not use different size implants and that it would take months after surgery to decipher my size, which I am just now being told, you would have never seen me again. I would have known at that point that I didn't have a chance of getting what I contracted for. As for options, I can't spend another $6500.00 on cosmetic surgery. I have to live with the way I look now and everything that entails, the worst of which is the self-consciousness I feel every waking moment. The very thing that took me to a cosmetic surgeon the first time. Telling my story is simply aimed at helping others avoid what happened to me. Sincerely, Kimberley Hunley
Hi Kim, I meant know offense to you. I think the situation is quite simple to adjust. I don't think you should live this way. I feel there is more miscommunication than anything. If we can start over, we can make a difference for you. I just didn't realize you were having trouble until I saw your post. Can I call you? I am sure I can help.
Hi Dr. Fee, Of course we can talk. Should I make an appointment?
Sure. See you then
It seems like a very easy solution would be to take you back to the OR and replace one implant with one that matches the other side. I would think you surgeon would be willing to do that if you are willing to let him.
Dear Dr. Sexton, He made it clear to me several months after the surgery that in his opinion using different size implants was not the way to even them, that he used the same size due to the cavity, which made no since to me since I'd spent 33 years with different size implants. He suggested another surgery to reduce the tissue in the larger breast. I would have been happy to allow him to remedy this, he didn't give me the option. Thanks for your suggestion.

I'm sorry you're unhappy with your results. Thank you for sharing on RealSelf!

I had the same experience is Austin Texas with my Dr. I know how you feel. I am in process of finding a Dr to do corrective surgery. If you find anyone you trust well enough let me know! I will travel.
I'm so sorry. I posted this so it might help someone else avoid the same. I'm 58 years old and currently in law school, so it's neither a priority nor something that I feel we can pay for again. At least for the present I'm doing the best I can with it. I wish you the best!
I would recommend Dr. Fee. My breast look wonderful now.