Fraxel Restore, 4 Treatments - Danville, CA

I had my fourth treatment last week, and although...

I had my fourth treatment last week, and although I know I won't see the final results for months, there has already been a significant improvement. I had acne scars, most significantly around my mouth and chin, and also some lesser scaring on my cheeks. Although there has been an overall difference, the biggest and happiest improvement is around my mouth. I'm not seeing, nor was I expecting, perfection, however now the skin over my entire face appears uniform instead of the very obvious lumpiness I used to have. By the way, the price I listed included four face treatments and two neck treatments so it was a bit more than it would have been had I only done the face.

I will update my post in a few months to review the (hopefully) continued improvement.

Waiting for further improvement

Three weeks after my fourth Fraxel Repair and no significant improvements. I don't notice any difference at all in the fine lines on my upper lip or between my eyebrows. The place I've seen the most improvement is in the orange peel texture of my cheeks, next is the bad acne scarring around my mouth. At this point I'd say the Fraxel Repair is somewhat of a blunt instrument, good for really back texture and scarring, not so effective for the finer lines. I'll continue to monitor and hope for continued improvement. I'd say I've had about a 20% improvement in those two areas, nothing in the others. At this point, ROI would not be worth it but I'm staying optimistic.

Five weeks after fourth Fraxel Restore treatment

Slight worsening, returning to pre-treatment state.

Seven weeks post Fraxel Restore

No changes. The only improvement that seems to be maintaining is to my cheeks. Other than that, the worst scarring around my mouth has at least not worsened further. Unless there is some remarkable change in the next two months, I will have to say this was not worth the expense or the time. I wish I had not let the doctor talk me out of the Repair.
Danville Dermatologic Surgeon

My doctor was very nice, made a good recommendation for treatment and also made sure all of my questions were answered. The RN who performed the procedure, Stachia, couldn't have been nicer or more professional, as were all of the staff.

Oh no....sorry to hear that.
Thanks for taking the time to update your review, sorry you are not seeing much improvement in the fine lines, but I am glad the orange peel texture and scarring has reacted positively...that's good news. Keep us posted.
As recommended for most skin resurfacing procedures including Fraxel one should use topical tretinoin cream for at least two weeks prior to the procedure --with proper instruction and guidance. Of course, adequate sunscreening is a must as you should not be tan prior to any resurfacing procedure. Ask your dermatologist when it would be safe to tan afterwards.
Interesting as it was my understanding to avoid those types of treatments before the procedure and for five days after. Sunscreen is always a big, big deal, thanks.
Thank you so much for sharing your journey with us. What type of acne scarring do you have? Do you have any before and after (progress) photos to share with us?
I had very bad, lumpy scarring around the corners of my mouth from years ago when I took Accutane. Unfortunately during the course of that treatment I had a huge breakout of cystic acne in which cause so much damage I had significant scarring which never resolved. The Fraxel Restore has been the only thing that helped so far.
Fraxel restore was a good choice but need usually 4 sessions but not immediately after finishing Accutane. You should wait one year-minimally. Fraxel restore alone may not totally improve the scars from cystic acne if they were truly scars and not from superficial excoriations. You may need other procedures such as subcisions, punch graft elevation or excisions etc Without examining you and looking at close photos it is too difficult suggest e
At this stage it is too difficult to thoroughly and accurately evaluate your scars. Just wait and have your dermatologist re-evaluate your face and whatever is left after you are healed and some time has gone by.
Accutane was many, many years ago. I actually saw another doctor, a PS, who suggested for my skin a more aggressive laser would be appropriate. Thanks for the information and your time, very helpful.