Fraxel Left Tiny Holes All over my Face and Texture Change - Sydney, AU

I am nine months post my fourth Fraxel and my face...

I am nine months post my fourth Fraxel and my face is covered with tiny holes left by the laser, and they seem to getting more prominent as the months go by.The only place where the skin is smooth and normal is around my eyes, where you can see the line of dots following where Fraxel has touched me.
I also have developed a brown blotch in the outside corner of my right eye, I have small brown spots also appearing under both eyes in a line that seems to follow the fraxel. Also a dark area is forming on my upperlip, it kind of looks like a shadow under my skin as someone else mentioned on this site, and is getting also more prominent.

These are not from the sun as I never go outside longer than five minutes when I ride my bike to work or drive to shops and I wear physical sun block everyday. I wash my face first thing in the morning and put sunblock on straight away, even if I'm inside the house all day.

More so I am so pissed off about these bloody holes tattooed all over my face, they are so visible in my bathroom mirror, where the natural light comes from the side. Five months ago the holes were only visible if the sun light came in but now they are visible even on a overcast day. They are hard to see inside with normal lights on, as I suspect they are too soft but daylight reveals the horror. My skin is so porous it looks like I have the skin that has aged ten years, and it is getting worse. I truly believe this laser has accelerated my skin ageing and basically gave me more damage that sun would do in a decade. Ironically I have always shied away from sun, never tanned and always used sunblocks religiously because of the fact that I would always burn so easily.

I am 30 year old and have suffered from acne since I was 18 years old. It left me with scars on the cheeks and for years I struggled with it. I was so embarrassed of my skin. I finally decided to seek more information about laser treatments and googled about Fraxel, how it works and more importantly, is it safe? I finally went to a consultation in Sydney ( Facial Rejuvenation Clinic) to find out more about this procedure. I had the consultation with the doctors assistant, who basically gave me the sales pitch of how wonderful amazing Fraxel is and how safe it is!

I remember being very anxious of any possibility of negative effects on my skin, and asked few times about the safety and possible adverse effects. Her answer to this was that Fraxel is very safe, there might be a slight chance of hyperpigmentation that usually resolves itsel in time and that it just might not work that well on my scars. Not once was I told about the adverse effects such as texture change, fat loss, sagging skin etc. About these I only learned when I was googling skin damage after Fraxel to try and find answer to my own problems and was horrified of the amount of damage this laser causes.

I eventually sent pictures of my skin to the clinic and later met the doctor who armed himself with the assistant who did my treatments and then began the over half an hour arguing on his behalf. I went there to discuss my concerns but he just argued everything I had to say. He first of course claimed he couldn't see any holes, and tried to explain me how it is impossible to Fraxel to cause any holes. Then he contradicted himself first telling me Fraxel works by creating tiny microholes that then coagulates repairing the skin, but when I later asked if it is possible these microholes did not close properly, he then told me Fraxel doesn't cause any holes it only heats the skin.

All this time he kept arguing me, getting cranky and simply ignoring any concerns that I tried to bring across. He knew exactly what I was talking about and did his best to make me feel silly and paranoid and mocked me when I pointed out that my boyfriend also sees the holes in my skin, not just me, saying oh so your boyfriend said something about your skin and now you are just upset. What a douchebag!
I also said to him many times to open the pictures I sent him so I sould show him what I mean, as the light in his office didn't show my skin texture that well. Bizarrely he kept ignoring those request he clearly didn't wan't to open them. I told him that the reason I am so pissed off is that I was never told about this possibility and they should tell people he actually got a bit cranky and said that they don't have to tell people because it's rare!

I asked if it could be possible my skin just heals poorly as scars and blemishes stay behind for long time( once I burned my thigh in the sun and over six months later the line form my shorts was still visible, my partner saw it too pointing it out to me one time in the shower.) I didn't even manage to finish my sentence when he attacked me saying there is nothing wrong whatsoever the way my skin heals it healed from the Fraxel fine and that was the end of it.

I am waiting to see an actual dermatologist to get some help and an opinion what might be going inside my skin, I am fearing the damage is ongoing. I drink water and dring vegetable juices to try and help my skin but I fear it is all in vain. Hate looking at the mirror it is horrible. Never wanted to be a bloody model just wanted a skin I don't have to cover up. Funny before Fraxel I was happy with my face apart the cheek scars but now it is the entire face that is horrible. I can quarantee that if I would've known there might be chance of any ill effect I would have left my skin as it were and waited a better solution to come along.

I'm not surprised if we are all their guinea pigs in these clinical trials, who says they won't want to try something a new setting, a few more passes to just test how the skin reacts and then leave you deal with the effects while the doctors race to there little medical conferences with your file in their hand..

13 months after Fraxel...

Well, the skin is worse. Tiny dots look very noticeable in the sun and the skin texture itself has gone worse, I still have the scars plus my entire face is covered in holes, like a mask. The dark spot under my right eye is changing shape and slowly getting larger. My skin is so porous it is horrible.It kind of looks like a scarred burn, maybe it is. Also lately noticed four indentations on my right cheek, they look like lines going up and down, not very long ones but they look like I scratced my self and left the marks. They are quite unnoticeable unless the light comes from the right angle, and they weren't there before.

Everyone has said that skin gets like that when you age, well my mother is 62 and her skin is smooth apart from few larger pores around her nose, my auntie who is 64 has a smooth skin, my sister who turns 40 has a smooth skin, they all have some wrinkles but skin is so smooth.I met four of my cousins ranging fon 26 to 31 and guess what, they have smooth skin. Some have pimples and acne but the actual skin, is not riddled with massive holes like mine.

Its summer here and so I have had the perfect opportunity to watch people in the sunlight, in town and no-one has the skin like I have now. Pimples yes, few scars yes, but even people in their 50s and 60s has better skin than mine, they might have wrinkles and it might sack a little, but the skin is smooth, where as mine is uneven, wrinkly, leathery and full of holes.It is so noticeable in sun specially when the light comes in an angle behind me or from top.

I went to see my old dermatologist who use to treat me for acne approx and last time I saw her as six years ago. I went in, told her my story. She never even had to come close to me to see the damage, she sat 1.5m from me and saw it from there. She said that nothing will get rid of those holes unfortunately, could try another corrective laser or dermabrasion but other than that, nothing will make my skin better. She does not do lasers herself so it wasn't in her favour in any way to suggest one.

She coudn't tell, if my skin is burned, thinned out, or what has happened exactly but she has seen few people with indentations from lasers and it was refreshing to hear her being so open about it, when in australia Dr Cussell claimed it's impossible and never heard about it.....

I told her how frustrated and angry I was, battling skin issues over ten years and then being lied to and damaged these horrible people. She just said that all you can do unfortunately is to get a new hobby to take my mind off it and don't look in to mirror anymore, she also suggested to use make up that they us in theatre to cover up and that way feel a bit better, and find other things in life.

That didn't make me feel any better I can promise you. How the hell do you get over it, it is my face, everyone sees it, I see it and even if don't it is still there!! I can't believe I asked every question and asked many times can this make my skin worse in anyway, and stressed out I don't want it if it can, and it happened. Just what I feared, it happened. Did they do it on purpose or what, was I a guinea pig? Or did I jinx the universe some how, asking these questions.

My partner just says oh well, it happened, you went there yourself and now just get over it. No one understands how I feel and I can't talk to anyone because they will not understand what it is like to look in the mirror and see that it's not you in the mirror it is the damage and everyone will see it, and look like you are some kind of freak. That's how it honestly feels right now. I am so tired and sad all the time, I don't want to have any social life because I am so embarrassed.

I caught my workmate staring at my skin, and I knew what she saw, my horrible scorched skin. She didn't ask, I didn't explain. I have lost all hope that my skin will ever be the same, I will happily keep the scars just get rid of this horrid skin.
Imagine if my skin is already worse than my mother, what will it look like in ten years time? I can't live like this it is eating me alive.

It's getting worse

Just about hit the rock bottom.. Pores so much more noticeable that before, even at work, the staffroom mirror made my skin look normal, it now is showing the holes. If I tilt my head back and sideways it looks as if I been in a fire, my skin looks like burn scars. I have a weird feeling something is not quite right with looseness of my skin either and that makes me panic big time. I see there is no way out, only worse to come. I never knew such a dark place, I fear what i will do for myself. Even my negative review was knocked back by True Local even if it was accurate , it's feels like in Australia money makers are free to do what they want and no one cares as long as money comes in.

Almost 16 months post and things are getting worse/=

My skin texture is really going down the hill now, no matter how gentle I am with my skin and I have stayed out of sun like an obsessed freak.
The holes are just getting bigger and some of them are turning into little slits. Skin texture is weird, not just holes but orangepeel, and when my face moves these pores turn into thin long lines. It looks as if I have a mix of burn scar tissue and deleted tissue, plus i feel my skin is just ageing fast. I feel like I am trying to stop a heavy train that just keeps going forward and forward even though the breaks are on....

This Dr. Garry Cussell and his assistant Rosita in Sydney have destroyed my young skin entirely and not ones have they contacted me how is my skin after I complained. They are horrible people and know damn well what these lasers do. I can't even be sure that the machine used was real Fraxel, they say what they say and all you can do is take their word for it. Stay away from them. I am now left to deal with a something that I am not sure I can deal with. They said it is normal ageing baha what a joke! I am scandinavian who has always shielded herself from the sun and no ones skin changes this radically naturally, it is all laser caused damage and it ate my healthy collagen and replaced it with scartissue. They call it new collagen and it is but it is not what you are born with, it is scartissue. Anyone who has found help please let me know, I can't deal with this anymore.

HELP!

Oh my God it is just getting worse and worse what the hell did they do to me??!! THis is not natural ageing my old acne scars are nothing compared to these holes! Please have anyone had any improvement at all I can't take this anymore. They ruined my skin and dumped me what am I to do? I was already disterressed and embarrassed about my acne scars and this is what they did to me. Please help me I can't deal with this. It is now a lot worse than it was when I wrote the review, it is eating my skin and scarring like nothing ever could. I could've spend a year with no sunscreen at all and my skin would be gorgeus compared to this! THI IS NOT NORMAL AGEING!!

Looks like the doctors are aware of how unpredictble lasers are!!

Check this out:

Bunch of phycicians duscussing about a case that was posted here in Real Self, and saying how they operate on Fraxel based on faith rather than knolegde.....

Cutaneous Indentations

This is what I and others with holes in their skin have, it's from a study about lasers and adverse effects:

Case 4: Textural changes following long pulsed 1,064 nm
Nd:YAG laser treatment of perinasal vessels. The patient
was a 27-year-old Caucasian male who presented with
perinasal telangiectasia (Fig. 3A). The patient’s perinasal
blood vessels were treated with a Nd:YAG laser using the
following treatment parameters: l, 1,064 nm; F, 380 J/cm2;
tp, 13 milliseconds; SS, 1.5mm;sapphire tip parallel contact
cooling. The treatment was uneventful and resulted in
lesion clearing; however, 2 months post-operatively the
patient developed cutaneous indentations within the
treated areas (Fig. 3B). The complication was managed by
watchful waiting. Spontaneous resolution of these types of
indentations may occur after a period of 6–10 months. Nonablative
dermal remodeling may be attempted to improve
the indentations with infrared or visible light lasers. If the
indentations do not resolve, ablative laser resurfacing also
may be employed.
The complication occurred as a result of heat diffusion
and thermal injury to tissue surrounding vessels. This
complication may have been avoided by using lower
fluences, however, even with the appropriate selection of
laser treatment parameters, as in this case, patients can
develop cutaneous indentations

At 17 months after laser my skin is worse than it has ever been.

It's pretty gruesome to look at , holes are very large and its obvious they are permanent damage.

I can't sleep I can barely go to work nowadays. Anyone who wants to see photos before deciding to do this treatment contact me privately and I'll send you some.

For life of me I cannot understand why the laser technician at Facial Rejuvenation Clinic in Sydney had to go so deep I only had shallow acne scarring on my cheeks.I am pale virtually no sun damage and this bright spark decided to blast my face go figure...

I'm not the only person they have damaged and I kick myself everyday for being so naive to trust these people.

I also believe my setting were much stronger than I was led to believe, every treatment was agony the moment laser touched my face, but I was warned it will be painful so I thought it was normal .I have read that real fraxel restore should not be so painful specially on those setting that apparently I had.

No decent aftercare instructions were provided apart use sunscreen and don't use retin a based lotions for a while.

This clinic took no responsibility and told me fraxel drills holes in skin, then changed their story and claimed fraxel only heats the skin, it doesn't drill holes and therefor my damage cannot be from fraxel.

The medical records also claimed I had fraxel dual every time but that wasn't true either, I had first two with Fraxel 1550.

Why change my medical records?

I have a sick feeling the laser I received might have been completely different altogether, the painlevel and the handheld cooling hose makes me believe this laser machine could be a cheaper version or something else entirely. I can handle pain but I was amazed when others with great results from fraxel said they barely felt any pain.

Either machine was different or the treatment levels were way too high. On normal healthy skin only gentle way is the way to go, yet I was blasted every time pretty much same setting all over the face , lasers are for scar remodelling not to be used on normal healthy skin.

My entire life has been on hold , I don't want to see people anymore, I wash my face in kitchen sink to avoid mirror if I'm to function that day.

I made it clear to the woman I won't do anything that can potentially harm my skin and she swore it was safe and it would not harm me. I have panick attacks and severe depression and I dread waking up every day, I never felt this anxiety before . I was happy backpacker , enjoyed life and even if I didn t like my scars I never felt like this before , laser damage destroyed me completely, while they go on about their lives happy and carefree without giving a second thought
for the women they scarred for life.

Skin is just not right it is clear laser destroyed a lot of the healthy collagen and elastin and left me with icepick scarring all over my face. You can see the holes stop on one bit between nostrils, that's the one part she missed . I remember this because she said she is very thorough and will do even between nostrils, so I remember thinking we she did missed that bit, it was the only part in my face not pink from treatment.

Yep , stay away from this clinic find a doctor who is not in it just for the money and knows what they are doing.

At 22 months..

No improvement , quite the opposite. Facial skin severely damaged, deep holes from laser covering entire face like icepick scarring. Skin looks leathery and scarred, burned.

I only have acne scarring in my cheeks , but entire face was done with levels to treat scarring , not suitable for healthy skin.

I have had to stop working due to immense anxiety and depression due to damaged face. I no longer socialise and I cannot leave the house without a panic attack. All this is direct result of botched laser treatment, my life is robbed from me. All for a treatment that was marketed to me by he clinic as safe, mild lunch time procedure that would not harm my skin. Suffering acne is hard but suffering laser damage destroys your life, your dreams, future plans and relationships. Laser providers should be held accountable for negative results like this, lying about safety and then washing their hands off you when you end up damaged. I told the clinic I will not do anything that might harm my skin more, so they said it was safe to just make a sale. Nothing can heal your burned dermis it's for life, stay away from lasers and save your life.

Picture

Picture2

Dr.Garry Cussell

Singlemindedly sellling everything.I was not told about possible adverse effects or what could go wrong, and when it went wrong I felt I was treated like it was my fault, no compassion towards patient's concerns. As long as they get your money that seems to be the main consern.Staff is very friendly and they prob only do what they are being told by their employer. I felt the Doctor was very cold, had four treatments and he only saw me briefly before the first two.

Have you ever heard about recell? I think tje company that makes it is Australien. It is not possible to get it here in the Usa, where I am. It is some spray they spray onto damaged skin, and it is suppose to fill in and heal faster. They take cells from your body and make some kind of mix. Sorry my poor language, I am not English speaking. Anyhow, I will see if I can find out more about it myself. And maybe in the future try, if I can truly verify it is effectful. I will let you know if I have any success, ever with anything!!
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-

Very disturbing to read that link. They know the risks.
I don't know about you, but it did not warn about permanent textural changes on the consent form I signed. If it is a known risk, patients should be informed! You should report you complication to Fraxel and the FDA.
I had a VBeam and I did file a complaint with the FDA. They seen me a letter saying they'd look into it. Doesn't matter though. The FDA is corrupt.
Medium resurfacing does not work well on a significant fraction of the population and can make their skin appearance much worse. Even if penetration is not excessive, in some people, particularly those with large pores and a lot of skin oil, the epidermis may not regenerate well, resulting in a much worse surface texture than before the procedure. This is due to variations in the way new epidermal cells grow outward from the pores and sweat gland openings. Also, the basal or bottom layer of the epidermis, which forms new skin cells, may not return to it's normal pre-operative state. Even though wrinkles may be reduced, up close the resulting epidermis may be thin and have an uneven, orange-peel appearance. The pore openings may appear larger than before with tiny fissures around them, particularly in the center of the face. Loss of pigment can also make large pores appear more prominent. If you have any healed abrasions or chemical and thermal burns, you may see a similar difference in texture compared to your normal skin.
Hi there, I'm just looking for some support. I want to start off by saying I'm so sorry for what you have been going through. I fear I am going to have the same problem as you, I'm on day 10 of healing. I have the holes, they look almost fully healed but haven't closed. Do you think I still have a chance at it healing more? I'm petrified. It's all I can think about, I feel sick to my stomach. I'm hoping more healing will take place and a new layer of skin will fill it out. My skin is also shiney but dull. It's like I have over done it with tx's. Have you had any more progress with this issue?
Hi chapters , dont put anything with chemicals on your skin and gave it some time, you are do fresh From your treatment. Get plenty of vitamin c internally and let it heal, they might fill in. Good luck!
By the way, could it be an idea to report this- tje estetician did obviously not know w she was doing- If y can prove that her setting was to high!! And I was also thinking about those Poor people who gets violated by acid- they get new skin (grafts). I know their situation is even worse, but if all y say is true (which i of course don't dout), y actually need new skin... Sorry if this seem crazy to say..
The "doctors" who put laser beams on peoples faces and disfigure them should be taken away in hand cuffs and thrown in jail and become somebody's new boyfriend or girlfriend. They know the risks but they'll gamble with YOUR face anyway for money. It took me all of 10 minutes to Google lasers and find out the risks after the fact. The key word is "LASER DAMAGE" though. If you just type in "laser" it's all glowing stuff about these nasty devices.
I can't prove it, the treaments and treatment levels don't exactly match ( they claim I had dual laser each time but infact I had old laser so they have manufactured treatment levels claiming I had dual every time which is impossible as I had old laser for the first two treatments. I can't prove it in any way just my word against theirs. Skin craft I can't see it looking any better plus it's too drastic no way it would end up good, skin grafts are for severely injured patients not for uneven skin texture.
Yes, it is too drastic, carried away..! You seem so reflected and I hope y feel better as time goes by! Hang on to all the good things in life!!
Hi, Mandy12, I am experiencing the same textural changes as you are, as well as chronic superficial bleeding from my skin that no one seems to have ever heard of as being a side-effect. Every day of my life since the IPL, save about 11 days in the 3 months since, my face has had small amounts of light red blood coming out of what looks like a pore, an indent, or nothing at all, in random treated areas of my face. I had one Sciton Profile BBL tx (IPL). It is terribly distressing to see these holes and indents, and makeup looks like a horror show over it. I have spent $100's of dollars buying new makeup. It is ironic that my goal in getting the IPL done was just to improve some hyperpigmentation and some broken blood vessels. I wasn't expecting perfection - just some improvement so I could wear a little less makeup. Now I am buying primers, heavy mu, researching Dermablend, etc. I used to be able to cover my problems with a normal amt of drugstore mu. Now nothing covers it so far. There are a lot of people out there who end up w/ these holes and indents everywhere, yet the industry doesn't acknowledge it, and it seems while some people get good results, there are definitely thousands of us who get BAD results, and there does not seem to be any understanding or acknowledgement of why this happens. I know that if my consent to tx form stated that there is a risk that I would end up with indentations, larger pores, depressions, more broken blood vessels, and chronic bleeding from the skin, I NEVER would've had this godforsaken procedure done! The doctor who did this says she cannot understand why this happened. She says she thought the tx settings were appropriate, and that the energies used should not target anything other than the pigment and the blood vessels. WTF? This needs to stop. Laws need to changed. Regulations need to be issued. These devices need to be subjected be to more testing, and all info about them should be publicly available.
This is god awful thing to happen to anyone I'm so sorry. I read a comment here on realself , it was something about using a device to target cellulite , and the doctors answer included that they can cause the skin to die among other issues, I'm sure he was talking about ipl or laser, I need to dig it up. It's incredible how they say that but then deny it can happen to the faces . Have you googled persistent oozing after dermal burn? Your skin is prob really thin inside the holes and it keeps cracking and let tissue fluid seep out? Its very scary sounding I hope it will repair itself in time! My skin is so hideoys i cant look in The mirror at all it's like a monster looking back. I see older people and while not perfect skin, they don't have holes all over like I do . They resemble pores but are much deeper. I'm struggling depression really badly because of laser , I was happy and bubbly girl before this. I also asked every question regarding side-effects and safety and made it clear I could not handle more scarring to my skin and would not take any risks. I was told it was safe and it simply cannot damage skin because " it targets only damaged cells". What a big fat lie lol the laser doesn't know healthy cell from a damaged on it just pokes holes in the skin regardless where it hits. These people need to pay dearly of the suffering that they cause. I can't imagine how many victims struggle because of this. We weren't ignorant we asked questions and were lied to about it to make money. They are meant to be doctors but they knowingly cause harm.
I don't feel there is any compensation that can make up for the damage they caused. I'm so sorry for us both Mandy!
Hi Mandy12, Thank you for your post -- I know what youre going through because I'm going through and have experience THE EXACT SAME results. The depression, fear, anger, sadness, and regret have been plaguing me as well as I have been trying in vain for the past year to reverse the pinholes, hyperpigmentation, facial fat loss, enlarged pores, track marks, broken capillaries, etc... it's all so devastating, and even more difficult when people around you don't quite understand what youre going through, and even worse when victims of the fraxel industry don't speak out for fear of seeming vain to get the procedure in the first place. So thank you for speaking out -- I read your post and felt understood. It's almost like rape victims who don't speak out because theyre afraid they brought it upon themselves for drinking too much and not having been firmer; so many laser victims don't want to step forward because we did something voluntarily and signed those waivers. The truth is that we were lied to by an entire industry of doctors/assistants/Fraxel that are all in bed with one another to make money. These doctors hawking Fraxel have abused their positions and our trust --- the ultimate tenet of doctors is supposedly "first, do no harm." They have betrayed our trust and harmed us to line their pockets. Evil people, and karma will get them somehow. Regardless, our damage has been done, and all we can do is go forward. I pray that you view this challenge as a way to grow. I know that sounds dumb and trite, and I struggle with that every day also regretting what I did to myself a year ago every time I look in the mirror, but honestly, first and foremost you need to forgive yourself. It is not our faults, we we lied to and misled. IT IS NOT OUR FAULTS! We were lied to and taken advantage of. The truth will come out soon. Going forward, strongly consider therapy to possibly help gain a different perspective. I have turned to yoga to try to stay centered and calm accepting this new space of re-engineering my identity; like yourself I've tried to protect my beauty and stayed out of the sun, ate right, cared for myself - I just had a few acne spots that I wanted to get rid of and the doctor said restore would help; I now curse the day the woman was born that did this to me. She changed my life and has tested my relationship to myself in a huge way... Anyhow, please have faith. Yes, like yourself, my skin has gotten worse as time has gone on and it's devastating, however i believe it's finally leveling out instead of the rapid deterioration there initially was for the first 9 months. I do fillers to compensate for the facial loss (my entire right cheek disappeared!); I've done 2 peels which significantly helped with the orange peel texture (make sure to get one safe for your skin type - I'm asian/spanish so had a mild glycolic light peel); have been obagi w retin-a (mixed results, makes my skin even redder and sore but has helped with the texture); taking vitamin e, c, fish oil; eat lots of avocado, fish, nuts; drink lots of water; emu oil; special makeup like primers and mineral powder. I wish you luck and please hang in there -- it'll get better! It's also a matter of accepting that our skin will never be quite the same, but at the same time it'll get better -- we just have to know that fillers, special vitamins, proper (aka expensive) skincare, and some solid, sound psychological routines to ground us (via friends, yoga, therapy, exercise, faith, volunteering - whatever gives you perspective) will be a large part of going forward. Please don't lose faith -- it'll be ok!! And I'm sure youre still beautiful anyway (even though I know what you mean -- my friends tell me they can't tell but it's how we feel about ourselves that matters). Good luck again and god bless!!
Pixigreen- I have also problem w my skin- I really feel almost embarrassed to go out in daylight- would y mind giving me some of your daily routine w vitamin etc and where to get it! I really need a mentor also! Why should our feelings about ourself be so tied up to this skin?!! Thanks
Oh my goodness you really said it so perfectly, Thankyou for your kind words and support and I wish you the same, strength and forgiving yourself. Like you said it, it is not our fault medical professionals ignore the values of medicine for money. They destroy people physically and mentally for life, they don't tell about side- effects because no-one would do it . I asked so many times and still was lied and now my entire life has gone upside down, like so many others. I paid nearly 7000 aud for ruining my life and my face, thank you Sydney facial rejuvenation clinic for "rejuvenating" my life.I wish you all the best and lots of strength, you are a trooper(:
Hi Una and Mandy, Yes, I am self conscious too about my skin, but it has gotten better as the damage seems to have leveled out. Like I'd said before, the texture of my skin has the orange peel texture, darkened w hyperpigmentation and rubbery and dry. I think the laser killed off all of my oil glands because my skin used to be oily and i would break out often (which is annoying to have zits all the time but good because it keeps skin looking younger); after the laser for my skin became the opposite -- dry, crepey, flaky. I literally had to change all my skin care products regiment because my skin so drastically changed!! I used to get a zit if I went to sleep with the smallest amt of makeup on my face, but after fraxel I could sleep with a full face of makeup caked on and wouldn't get a single pimple since all my oil glands were vaporized! (so i guess that could maybe be considered the single silver lining to this whole nightmare). Unfortunately it still had all that other horrible damage, but at least no zits for the first nine months out. But I have been noticing recently, maybe 10-11 months post fraxel, that I am starting to break out again, so I'm taking that as a sign that maybe my skin is finally healing and some of my oil glands are producing again. Never thought I say that I'm actually kind of happy to have a few zits since hopefully its a sign that my skin is trying to get back to how it had been from the rubbery, deadened skinned, meat-mask face it's been for the past year. (i know, gross description but that's what it looks like to me when I look at my face with the fraxel damage... a meat mask! UGH!!!) I also went to a dermatologist and she said that skin regenerates every 28 days, and that while she can see the damage, the textural change/hyperpigmentation should resolve itself eventually (she put me on retin-A .1% and hydroquinone 6%). I asked about the facial fat loss/cheek deflation, but she said unfortunately that won't come back. :( As for the retin-a, i think it may be too strong for me since I get really raw and red, so I only use it once or twice a week, and then used half the jar of hydroquinone but stopped because it was making my face really red. I actually think it may be too high of a concentration also so am going to try a vitamin C serum. My daily routine has been on the natural, gentle side lately because my skin has been extra irritable (along with a few pimples) -- i think it may be because my skin is finally trying to get back to its normal oily self, and also the weather has fluctuated wildly in the past few weeks. It's warmed up significantly in new york city in the span of a few wks from a long polar vortex winter straight to basically summer, so my skin is going a little crazy. I can feel that weird tingle from the impending breakouts, something I hadn't felt since the fraxel procedure a year ago. Hopefully my skin won't turn into some frankenstein monster with the worst of post/and pre (zits) fraxel! Aaaah!! Anyhow, I wash with cetaphil in the morning, sometimes do obagi or skinceuticals A+E depending how sensitive my skin feels, and then have been using Coola sunscreen because it's got a smoothing primer effect to it. I then use a tinted BB cream to even out the redness. (I hate traditional foundations since they've always clogged my pores and made me break out, but i am considering going back since they would give better coverage). As far as vitamins, I find them all so confusing so do a simple multivitamin, fish oil, and flaxseed. I dont know if they do anything but i through the past year ive tried all other sorts but I couldnt tell if they were working, and it was getting expensive i streamlined it. In the evenings I alternate w retin-a/obagi or just simple emu oil to keep it natural. I've tried so many things through the past year - TNS serum, psoria gold (and yes, Siana is wonderful -- shes a godsend customer service rep/counselor), skinmedica, obagi, all kinds of supplements ... i can't even remember. Just so many things. Nightmare, and very, very expensive. Oh, and I now do fillers - radiesse and juvederm - to even out my cheeks. That horrible witch technician that did the fraxel seemed to have had it out for my right cheek and did a number more passes on that side and - Poof! - right cheek gone within a few weeks. Wicked witch. Anyway, I really would have to say the biggest thing is to connecting to your spirit and connecting with your inner strength. I know it sounds hokey, but it's so important. I've struggled every day for the past year regretting walking into that office for the fraxel treatment that aged me in ten years in that one sitting, but it's been a humbling experience and it's really made me reprioritize and re-evaluate who and what I had been to who i am now, what's important, and how i want to move forward. It's such a devastating experience, which is why i am grateful to come across those who have gone through the same thing and shared their stories. Anyhow, as before, i wish you both luck and if you have more questions let me know!
Hi Mandy, just fyi i posted a response to you and una under her post! And btw, I had some luck with a peel I'd done last thanksgiving. I posted a review about it, which I've cut and pasted below: Got the vi peel last week -- planned it over the Thanksgiving break. Had the peel applied Wednesday afternoon, went to Thanksgiving dinner Thursday with a bit of a bronzed look and skin was a little tight but not too uncomfortable, then started peeling Friday through Monday. I would say the worst peeling was Saturday and Sunday, but by Monday was looking much better. Overall I am so glad I did the peel. I am half asian half spanish and am a 3 on the Fitzpatrick scale so have sensitive, naturally tannish skin, and was extremely nervous it would further aggravate the hyper-pigmentation and orange-peel texture from a botched laser debaucle six months ago. The esthetician assured me it'd be fine for my skin, and she was right. After the peel the texture of my skin seems to be going back to what it had been before the laser, and the hyperpigmentation has gotten better (my face and neck still dont match but instead of being 5-6 shades darker than my neck, it's more like 2-3 darker now which is progress). Before this I should mention that I tried a number of things to reverse the laser damage: obagi nu derm, vitamin C masks, retin-A, psoria gold, facials, scrubs, nothing to let skin heal - but nothing really worked. My skin still looked like it had a permanent windburn with goggles, and the actual skin turned darker, dull, and dead-looking like a tan rubber eraser at the end of pencil. My original skin texture had always been smooth, but after this Fraxel episode it had taken on an orange peel/golf ball texture with visibly rough surface -- so bizarre and distressing! And no matter what topical stuff I put on, it didn't seem to help; i think the top layers of my skin were literally dead and wouldn't absorb anything since it was essentially one large dark-ish scab stretched across my face. Really, really terrible. Anyway, and obviously, I've been nervous ever since to do anything else remotely invasive, but the esthecian was great and told me it's safe for my skin type, and that it's even ok to do once every four weeks (which seems aggressive bc it does take off a few layers of skin), but I'm definitely going to do it again in 3 months to continue to try to reverse the orange peel texture, enlarged pores, and hyperpigmentation damage of the fraxel. The acne scars I had are still there too and look pretty much the same, but that wasn't my goal anyway -- I was trying to improve the texture, which it really did. Can't wait to do the next one! I got a pretty good deal but normally the peel at the medi spa costs $350. I would pay that now knowing how much it helped the texture of my skin. Hope it helps and good luck!
Your experience sounds a lot like mine. I've recently started breaking out 9 months out but I have a feeling mine is hormone related since I stopped breastfeeding and got my period back after almost 3 years. I wonder if my skins new found ability to produce oil is going to help it or hurt it. I'm also breaking out in hives like crazy, but I tend to do that when I'm stressed. It could also be an environmental allergy it's pollen city around here (I'm in upstate NY so I know what you mean about the fluctuating weather!). There are so many factors to consider it's so freaking confusing!
Hi Janey! Wow, a 3 year reprieve from periods sounds great. lol. Anyhow, yes, maybe since we're both getting our oil glands back perhaps it is just our regular skin making a comeback (I hope!). And yes, it's definitely crossed my mind that it'll just become an even bigger mess between a face full of burnt skin with returning glands creating oil fissures all over, but I have faith that our bodies will eventually figure it out and level off. I have noticed that the few pimples that have appeared tend to last a lot longer than the ones I used to get pre-fraxel, and that theyre only the large ones now (whereas I used to get all sizes including teeny ones that would go away in a day or two). Another thing is that I keep trying different things to "fix" it, but it only in turn gets worse and more inflamed which in turn makes me more depressed and anxious, so I'm trying to reel in my type A tendencies. I really do recommend a mediation/yoga practice to help alleviate some of the anxiety. I know I need it. Plus our bodies heal better when we are calm. And yes, I bet allergies are contributing to your hives since my friends' allergies in the city are going crazy!
Mandy, I had the same results from a microdermabrasion. No one knows why it happened and the plastic surgeon skin center in Portsmouth NH, USA took no responsibility or offered any help. I have been going to doctors all over New England trying to find someone who can help my damaged skin. Nothing helps, no doctors know why it happened with such a benign process. The only thing we have figured out is that my body, and perhaps yours, had some kind of an auto immune reaction to the procedure. The retin A or retinal products make it much worse as it is burning very fragile already damaged skin. I hope that you can find some relief because the depression and anxiety from having your face damaged like this is life changing. Sending prayers for you today.
Hi Goldie, how long after your procedure did this start, and how did it start? I am freaking out after I had a fat grafting procedure, and some small areas lasered. Will never ever do anything w my skin again.. My skin just starting to look soo old!
Or Mandy, how did it start- I think it's my turn-