Fraxel Left Tiny Holes All over my Face and Texture Change - Sydney, AU

I am nine months post my fourth Fraxel and my face...

I am nine months post my fourth Fraxel and my face is covered with tiny holes left by the laser, and they seem to getting more prominent as the months go by.The only place where the skin is smooth and normal is around my eyes, where you can see the line of dots following where Fraxel has touched me.
I also have developed a brown blotch in the outside corner of my right eye, I have small brown spots also appearing under both eyes in a line that seems to follow the fraxel. Also a dark area is forming on my upperlip, it kind of looks like a shadow under my skin as someone else mentioned on this site, and is getting also more prominent.

These are not from the sun as I never go outside longer than five minutes when I ride my bike to work or drive to shops and I wear physical sun block everyday. I wash my face first thing in the morning and put sunblock on straight away, even if I'm inside the house all day.

More so I am so pissed off about these bloody holes tattooed all over my face, they are so visible in my bathroom mirror, where the natural light comes from the side. Five months ago the holes were only visible if the sun light came in but now they are visible even on a overcast day. They are hard to see inside with normal lights on, as I suspect they are too soft but daylight reveals the horror. My skin is so porous it looks like I have the skin that has aged ten years, and it is getting worse. I truly believe this laser has accelerated my skin ageing and basically gave me more damage that sun would do in a decade. Ironically I have always shied away from sun, never tanned and always used sunblocks religiously because of the fact that I would always burn so easily.

I am 30 year old and have suffered from acne since I was 18 years old. It left me with scars on the cheeks and for years I struggled with it. I was so embarrassed of my skin. I finally decided to seek more information about laser treatments and googled about Fraxel, how it works and more importantly, is it safe? I finally went to a consultation in Sydney ( Facial Rejuvenation Clinic) to find out more about this procedure. I had the consultation with the doctors assistant, who basically gave me the sales pitch of how wonderful amazing Fraxel is and how safe it is!

I remember being very anxious of any possibility of negative effects on my skin, and asked few times about the safety and possible adverse effects. Her answer to this was that Fraxel is very safe, there might be a slight chance of hyperpigmentation that usually resolves itsel in time and that it just might not work that well on my scars. Not once was I told about the adverse effects such as texture change, fat loss, sagging skin etc. About these I only learned when I was googling skin damage after Fraxel to try and find answer to my own problems and was horrified of the amount of damage this laser causes.

I eventually sent pictures of my skin to the clinic and later met the doctor who armed himself with the assistant who did my treatments and then began the over half an hour arguing on his behalf. I went there to discuss my concerns but he just argued everything I had to say. He first of course claimed he couldn't see any holes, and tried to explain me how it is impossible to Fraxel to cause any holes. Then he contradicted himself first telling me Fraxel works by creating tiny microholes that then coagulates repairing the skin, but when I later asked if it is possible these microholes did not close properly, he then told me Fraxel doesn't cause any holes it only heats the skin.

All this time he kept arguing me, getting cranky and simply ignoring any concerns that I tried to bring across. He knew exactly what I was talking about and did his best to make me feel silly and paranoid and mocked me when I pointed out that my boyfriend also sees the holes in my skin, not just me, saying oh so your boyfriend said something about your skin and now you are just upset. What a douchebag!
I also said to him many times to open the pictures I sent him so I sould show him what I mean, as the light in his office didn't show my skin texture that well. Bizarrely he kept ignoring those request he clearly didn't wan't to open them. I told him that the reason I am so pissed off is that I was never told about this possibility and they should tell people he actually got a bit cranky and said that they don't have to tell people because it's rare!

I asked if it could be possible my skin just heals poorly as scars and blemishes stay behind for long time( once I burned my thigh in the sun and over six months later the line form my shorts was still visible, my partner saw it too pointing it out to me one time in the shower.) I didn't even manage to finish my sentence when he attacked me saying there is nothing wrong whatsoever the way my skin heals it healed from the Fraxel fine and that was the end of it.

I am waiting to see an actual dermatologist to get some help and an opinion what might be going inside my skin, I am fearing the damage is ongoing. I drink water and dring vegetable juices to try and help my skin but I fear it is all in vain. Hate looking at the mirror it is horrible. Never wanted to be a bloody model just wanted a skin I don't have to cover up. Funny before Fraxel I was happy with my face apart the cheek scars but now it is the entire face that is horrible. I can quarantee that if I would've known there might be chance of any ill effect I would have left my skin as it were and waited a better solution to come along.

I'm not surprised if we are all their guinea pigs in these clinical trials, who says they won't want to try something a new setting, a few more passes to just test how the skin reacts and then leave you deal with the effects while the doctors race to there little medical conferences with your file in their hand..

13 months after Fraxel...

Well, the skin is worse. Tiny dots look very noticeable in the sun and the skin texture itself has gone worse, I still have the scars plus my entire face is covered in holes, like a mask. The dark spot under my right eye is changing shape and slowly getting larger. My skin is so porous it is horrible.It kind of looks like a scarred burn, maybe it is. Also lately noticed four indentations on my right cheek, they look like lines going up and down, not very long ones but they look like I scratced my self and left the marks. They are quite unnoticeable unless the light comes from the right angle, and they weren't there before.

Everyone has said that skin gets like that when you age, well my mother is 62 and her skin is smooth apart from few larger pores around her nose, my auntie who is 64 has a smooth skin, my sister who turns 40 has a smooth skin, they all have some wrinkles but skin is so smooth.I met four of my cousins ranging fon 26 to 31 and guess what, they have smooth skin. Some have pimples and acne but the actual skin, is not riddled with massive holes like mine.

Its summer here and so I have had the perfect opportunity to watch people in the sunlight, in town and no-one has the skin like I have now. Pimples yes, few scars yes, but even people in their 50s and 60s has better skin than mine, they might have wrinkles and it might sack a little, but the skin is smooth, where as mine is uneven, wrinkly, leathery and full of holes.It is so noticeable in sun specially when the light comes in an angle behind me or from top.

I went to see my old dermatologist who use to treat me for acne approx and last time I saw her as six years ago. I went in, told her my story. She never even had to come close to me to see the damage, she sat 1.5m from me and saw it from there. She said that nothing will get rid of those holes unfortunately, could try another corrective laser or dermabrasion but other than that, nothing will make my skin better. She does not do lasers herself so it wasn't in her favour in any way to suggest one.

She coudn't tell, if my skin is burned, thinned out, or what has happened exactly but she has seen few people with indentations from lasers and it was refreshing to hear her being so open about it, when in australia Dr Cussell claimed it's impossible and never heard about it.....

I told her how frustrated and angry I was, battling skin issues over ten years and then being lied to and damaged these horrible people. She just said that all you can do unfortunately is to get a new hobby to take my mind off it and don't look in to mirror anymore, she also suggested to use make up that they us in theatre to cover up and that way feel a bit better, and find other things in life.

That didn't make me feel any better I can promise you. How the hell do you get over it, it is my face, everyone sees it, I see it and even if don't it is still there!! I can't believe I asked every question and asked many times can this make my skin worse in anyway, and stressed out I don't want it if it can, and it happened. Just what I feared, it happened. Did they do it on purpose or what, was I a guinea pig? Or did I jinx the universe some how, asking these questions.

My partner just says oh well, it happened, you went there yourself and now just get over it. No one understands how I feel and I can't talk to anyone because they will not understand what it is like to look in the mirror and see that it's not you in the mirror it is the damage and everyone will see it, and look like you are some kind of freak. That's how it honestly feels right now. I am so tired and sad all the time, I don't want to have any social life because I am so embarrassed.

I caught my workmate staring at my skin, and I knew what she saw, my horrible scorched skin. She didn't ask, I didn't explain. I have lost all hope that my skin will ever be the same, I will happily keep the scars just get rid of this horrid skin.
Imagine if my skin is already worse than my mother, what will it look like in ten years time? I can't live like this it is eating me alive.

It's getting worse

Just about hit the rock bottom.. Pores so much more noticeable that before, even at work, the staffroom mirror made my skin look normal, it now is showing the holes. If I tilt my head back and sideways it looks as if I been in a fire, my skin looks like burn scars. I have a weird feeling something is not quite right with looseness of my skin either and that makes me panic big time. I see there is no way out, only worse to come. I never knew such a dark place, I fear what i will do for myself. Even my negative review was knocked back by True Local even if it was accurate , it's feels like in Australia money makers are free to do what they want and no one cares as long as money comes in.

Almost 16 months post and things are getting worse/=

My skin texture is really going down the hill now, no matter how gentle I am with my skin and I have stayed out of sun like an obsessed freak.
The holes are just getting bigger and some of them are turning into little slits. Skin texture is weird, not just holes but orangepeel, and when my face moves these pores turn into thin long lines. It looks as if I have a mix of burn scar tissue and deleted tissue, plus i feel my skin is just ageing fast. I feel like I am trying to stop a heavy train that just keeps going forward and forward even though the breaks are on....

This Dr. Garry Cussell and his assistant Rosita in Sydney have destroyed my young skin entirely and not ones have they contacted me how is my skin after I complained. They are horrible people and know damn well what these lasers do. I can't even be sure that the machine used was real Fraxel, they say what they say and all you can do is take their word for it. Stay away from them. I am now left to deal with a something that I am not sure I can deal with. They said it is normal ageing baha what a joke! I am scandinavian who has always shielded herself from the sun and no ones skin changes this radically naturally, it is all laser caused damage and it ate my healthy collagen and replaced it with scartissue. They call it new collagen and it is but it is not what you are born with, it is scartissue. Anyone who has found help please let me know, I can't deal with this anymore.

HELP!

Oh my God it is just getting worse and worse what the hell did they do to me??!! THis is not natural ageing my old acne scars are nothing compared to these holes! Please have anyone had any improvement at all I can't take this anymore. They ruined my skin and dumped me what am I to do? I was already disterressed and embarrassed about my acne scars and this is what they did to me. Please help me I can't deal with this. It is now a lot worse than it was when I wrote the review, it is eating my skin and scarring like nothing ever could. I could've spend a year with no sunscreen at all and my skin would be gorgeus compared to this! THI IS NOT NORMAL AGEING!!

Looks like the doctors are aware of how unpredictble lasers are!!

Check this out:

Bunch of phycicians duscussing about a case that was posted here in Real Self, and saying how they operate on Fraxel based on faith rather than knolegde.....

Cutaneous Indentations

This is what I and others with holes in their skin have, it's from a study about lasers and adverse effects:

Case 4: Textural changes following long pulsed 1,064 nm
Nd:YAG laser treatment of perinasal vessels. The patient
was a 27-year-old Caucasian male who presented with
perinasal telangiectasia (Fig. 3A). The patient’s perinasal
blood vessels were treated with a Nd:YAG laser using the
following treatment parameters: l, 1,064 nm; F, 380 J/cm2;
tp, 13 milliseconds; SS, 1.5mm;sapphire tip parallel contact
cooling. The treatment was uneventful and resulted in
lesion clearing; however, 2 months post-operatively the
patient developed cutaneous indentations within the
treated areas (Fig. 3B). The complication was managed by
watchful waiting. Spontaneous resolution of these types of
indentations may occur after a period of 6–10 months. Nonablative
dermal remodeling may be attempted to improve
the indentations with infrared or visible light lasers. If the
indentations do not resolve, ablative laser resurfacing also
may be employed.
The complication occurred as a result of heat diffusion
and thermal injury to tissue surrounding vessels. This
complication may have been avoided by using lower
fluences, however, even with the appropriate selection of
laser treatment parameters, as in this case, patients can
develop cutaneous indentations

At 17 months after laser my skin is worse than it has ever been.

It's pretty gruesome to look at , holes are very large and its obvious they are permanent damage.

I can't sleep I can barely go to work nowadays. Anyone who wants to see photos before deciding to do this treatment contact me privately and I'll send you some.

For life of me I cannot understand why the laser technician at Facial Rejuvenation Clinic in Sydney had to go so deep I only had shallow acne scarring on my cheeks.I am pale virtually no sun damage and this bright spark decided to blast my face go figure...

I'm not the only person they have damaged and I kick myself everyday for being so naive to trust these people.

I also believe my setting were much stronger than I was led to believe, every treatment was agony the moment laser touched my face, but I was warned it will be painful so I thought it was normal .I have read that real fraxel restore should not be so painful specially on those setting that apparently I had.

No decent aftercare instructions were provided apart use sunscreen and don't use retin a based lotions for a while.

This clinic took no responsibility and told me fraxel drills holes in skin, then changed their story and claimed fraxel only heats the skin, it doesn't drill holes and therefor my damage cannot be from fraxel.

The medical records also claimed I had fraxel dual every time but that wasn't true either, I had first two with Fraxel 1550.

Why change my medical records?

I have a sick feeling the laser I received might have been completely different altogether, the painlevel and the handheld cooling hose makes me believe this laser machine could be a cheaper version or something else entirely. I can handle pain but I was amazed when others with great results from fraxel said they barely felt any pain.

Either machine was different or the treatment levels were way too high. On normal healthy skin only gentle way is the way to go, yet I was blasted every time pretty much same setting all over the face , lasers are for scar remodelling not to be used on normal healthy skin.

My entire life has been on hold , I don't want to see people anymore, I wash my face in kitchen sink to avoid mirror if I'm to function that day.

I made it clear to the woman I won't do anything that can potentially harm my skin and she swore it was safe and it would not harm me. I have panick attacks and severe depression and I dread waking up every day, I never felt this anxiety before . I was happy backpacker , enjoyed life and even if I didn t like my scars I never felt like this before , laser damage destroyed me completely, while they go on about their lives happy and carefree without giving a second thought
for the women they scarred for life.

Skin is just not right it is clear laser destroyed a lot of the healthy collagen and elastin and left me with icepick scarring all over my face. You can see the holes stop on one bit between nostrils, that's the one part she missed . I remember this because she said she is very thorough and will do even between nostrils, so I remember thinking we she did missed that bit, it was the only part in my face not pink from treatment.

Yep , stay away from this clinic find a doctor who is not in it just for the money and knows what they are doing.

At 22 months..

No improvement , quite the opposite. Facial skin severely damaged, deep holes from laser covering entire face like icepick scarring. Skin looks leathery and scarred, burned.

I only have acne scarring in my cheeks , but entire face was done with levels to treat scarring , not suitable for healthy skin.

I have had to stop working due to immense anxiety and depression due to damaged face. I no longer socialise and I cannot leave the house without a panic attack. All this is direct result of botched laser treatment, my life is robbed from me. All for a treatment that was marketed to me by he clinic as safe, mild lunch time procedure that would not harm my skin. Suffering acne is hard but suffering laser damage destroys your life, your dreams, future plans and relationships. Laser providers should be held accountable for negative results like this, lying about safety and then washing their hands off you when you end up damaged. I told the clinic I will not do anything that might harm my skin more, so they said it was safe to just make a sale. Nothing can heal your burned dermis it's for life, stay away from lasers and save your life.

Picture

Picture2

Dr.Garry Cussell

Singlemindedly sellling everything.I was not told about possible adverse effects or what could go wrong, and when it went wrong I felt I was treated like it was my fault, no compassion towards patient's concerns. As long as they get your money that seems to be the main consern.Staff is very friendly and they prob only do what they are being told by their employer. I felt the Doctor was very cold, had four treatments and he only saw me briefly before the first two.

So I found my consent form the other day about fraxel-didn't even realize I still had it. It does list some risks like increased pigmentation and scarring, the scarring being possible due to "the disruption of the skin's surface" but I guess I just brushed it off at the time as one of those many risks that are listed with every treatment/medicine where they have to list every risk even if only one person has a bad reaction. It does say a "small" chance of scarring, however doesn't mention the weird "orange-peel" texture but maybe they are grouping that in with the scarring.
I remember signing a form but I don't think I ever got a copy. I asked so many times about the chance of scarring so I didn't even really read it I just asked what's this for? She said of it's just if you get an allergic reaction to the numbing cream or happy gas. I'm so stupid and naive I know but they have no right to lie to you if you ask questions about risks. I'm Scandinavian so I had very trusting relationship towards medical personnel and it didn't dawn on me at all this clinic would withhold critical information from me in a hope of a sale. I realise lot of things were done wrong, no written after care sheet, I was told to put on paw paw ointment which locks the heat in, they said I can put make up on straight away and when I asked about running a half marathon two days later I was told it's fine. I now know you should not vigorously exercise in a month after your treatment and certainly not put Vaseline or paw paw ointment it locks in the heat and causes more thermal trauma. Sigh of all the places that's where i went paid over 6600 for four treatments and bad advice.
You're not stupid or naive, you're supposed to be able to trust people in their position! It sounds like I got better advice and after care than you-got a sheet about it- don't go in sun, use special sun lotion they gave me everyday for so long etc. But still when I mentioned bad reviews I'd read on here I was told it must've been another laser I was reading-but then some of the risks were on the consent form I was given so how could they deny the risks and bad reviews?! All they seem to do is contradict themselves and make up the answers as they go along just to shut you up!
Thats interesting the after care "cream" i was given was very much like vaseline. i noticed when i applied it my skin felt hotter
Mandy you ask in an other thread what brand of mineral make -up i use, its Synergie.
They really should give burn creams like Biafine, I don't know why they don't when it could potentially save people from complications or have less complications than not using a burn cream. I suppose it's bad advertising, people would prob freak out. Lot of issues could be avoided if laser treatments were treated as a burn injury, as that's what they essentially are.
Oh thanks! I have been looking into dr hauschka and 100%pure - cosmetic lines as I feel less chemicals is better. I google that and have a look, I need to find a decent makeup.
Hi. I'm in the States. Anyone know how or if it's possible to find out if there were any negative complaints that were filed against a doctor, PA, or business ? I'd like to see if there were any complaints filed before I had a VBeam procedure done that resulted in damage.
Hi Mandy, Sorry I've already posted two comments but I don't know where they went? I read people suggesting skin needling to you but didn't see you reply? Have you heard or PRP injections? I had it done recently however I had my own plasma from my blood injected into my face using the new dermapen. I loved it, however the quality of your blood is really important. If you smoke or are unhealthy the plasma in your blood won't be as good quality, it might be worth being really healthy for a while and then having the skin needling and PRP therapy? I have little holes in my skin like yours but they are from black head scarring which I'm now trying to remove. I've had my 3rd fraxel dual, which fortunately I've not had a bad reaction as yet. I've also done the dermapen with PRP and it was great. Even the at home skin needling works on skin texture and the scarring and I'll be doing it for my blackhead scars, I've seen really good results from it so I'd suggest you try it.
Where did you get the prp done?
I had it done at a place called ICCM in the city CBD, I want to do it again once I have given up smoking and try to get a bit more healthy with my diet.
Hi Mandy, Have you heard of PRP therapy on your face and skin needling?? Hanna
Hi yes I have there are few who are trying it, I don't think my skin is strong enough yet for me to try it, but I have been looking into it.
Hey forgot to ask about PRP, can you do it without needling? My skin is not filling in properly so I don't want to risk needling just yet, I have written with bloke who had quite bad outcome from needling , so if I got bad reaction from laser then needling might do the same for me, just being precautios.
They can inject PRP into your face, it requires a few session & works best when you have injured yourself as your body creates more plasma then. I've had skin needling done infused with my own plasma, it was the dermapen & I healed a few days later. Scars are better treated the fresher they are, so it's a tricky 1. I found the procedure pretty tame & I'll be looking to do that in a few weeks to try & even out my texture. Read up about skin needling with dermapen it's really good not many horror stories unless performed by dodgy ppl!!
Great can you keep me posted how it goes for you? Good luck!
Hi Mandy. What kind of bad outcome did the guy have from needling? I'm afraid of anyone or anything going near my face now. And I've read good and bad about peels and needling. So it seems like just about everything is a gamble and a risk.
Hi I think he has basically lost all firmness underneath, holes and generally similar to laser or ipl damage, he wrote about his story I'll get the link if you'd like? I think he is very rare case and if I'm correct he said the needles weren't clean and the doc used too long needles, and went too hard basically. I think needling is so much more safer than lasers but again nothing that breaks your skin and has potential to reach into the dermis can cause terrible damage. I think this doc caused similar trouble for someone else according to James , if I remember correctly, so if you get needling make sure you are aware of how long needles are safe and the make sure your doc is on the same page, plus of course sterile needles, quality roller. Some cheap rollers cause damage because needle ends bend a little and rip instead of clean cut hole. But if you go slowly, good doc with decent rollers, you should be fine. It seems that people with auto immune issues specially eds are getting negative outcomes , just an observation might be wrong. But if you have eds or any autoimmune disease be aware that it can possibly cause bad outcomes.
I've had needling done guys, it is called a derma pen and it is fast & much better than the roller. You can infuse vitamins in it or PRP & you need a few treatments to see results. I was a little bruised after mine but it healed really quickly & I was a smoker then. The needles are really fine & your not burning your skin or applying heat. I would recommend the pen & they can go lightly on it. At home rollers are a more subtle way of doing it & it will help to absord your products. I don't think emu oil + needling would be a good combo though because you need something really anti bacterial on e your skin is broken. I used mild non active serums after mine. I want to do more but they are $400 +. Mainly because a new head is used 4 each patient. I am determined to fix my skin. Human beings are amazing, every cell in our body has been completely regenerated after 7 years, our skin peels and they can reconstruct peoples faces after burns or disfigurement. In the next few years who knows what technology will come out! STAY POSITIVE I will fix my damage cause I believe it, the power of positive thinking is enormous, act and think that you will fix it & find a way & it will happen. Sorry for the war & peace answer lol but I'm going through the same thing & I will fix my skin.
Also check out DMK Skin peel... I saw it online last night & then went to my Botox lady & she has it at her clinic... I took it as a sign ;) I'm going to do it & do the omnilux light therapy straight after it every 2nd day
HI Rocket,you are 100% right about being an optimist. i wanted to to let you guys know about Tanaka massage( you can find it on youtube). i have started doing the massage and my face DOES look better and fresher in just few weeks while it costs no money at all, just 10-15 min a day. It is so called bone massage, it is a bit harder than lymph massage and stimulates collagen production.My post fraxel holes do not look better yet but some people on various forums claim it did help to heal the skin after lasers.
Hi Mandy, I'm so sorry to hear about your experience. I've had fraxel 3 times now, the first time I loved it, the second time wasn't very strong and now I've done it for the 3rd time with the dual and I do it because I have enlarged pores and wrinkles around my eyes. I'm wondering if you have heard of needling?? I had dermapen done with PRP and what it does is correct scarring and induce collagen production. PRP is the plasma from your own blood that is re-injected back into your skin and the results are quiet amazing, there is different ways to do it, either through injections of the dermawand/ dermapen. If you aren't a smoker and you eat really well, you would have better quality blood than me as a smoker. it might be worth getting your health in tip top shape so your blood is rich and healthy and then try the skin needling… at least this way it isn't a laser and you can start with shallow needling and work deeper.
Yes I have looked into it actually someone else is doing the similar thing, feeding skin with vitamins months before needling. I am still letting my skin be it heals so slowly and it's just not the same resilience as it was before. It may be something I might consider in the future.
-:- Message from RealSelf staff -:-