Dr Austen is Amazing!

In 2007, I had a transumbilical breast...

I couldnt be happier with the results and three weeks
Boston Plastic Surgeon

In 2007, I had a transumbilical breast augmentation by a surgeon in New York. Fast forward three years and both were leaking (I had saline) which ended in one completely rupturing two years ago. I had given my previous surgeon a full deposit to redo the procedure (I dont know what I was thinking, but I later learned transumbilical is a terrible way to go because the implants get overhandled and there is a much greater risk of leak or rupture) but after discussing with a friend/patient of Dr. Austen's, realized I needed to get the deposit back and go elsewhere. It took me almost two years to get the money back. In the meantime, my friend told me to go see Dr. Austen as soon as the deposit was returned to me. I looked up Dr. Austen's profile online and saw that among many other things, he is the Chief of the Plastic Surgery Division at MGH. Why would someone who does the kind of work he does (read about his migraine procedures if you aren't already incredibly impressed, it's amazing) care to fix a disastrous cosmetic breast augmentation by another surgeon, right? Wrong. I was able to get an appointment with him within less than two weeks of my call. He was helpful, patient and not at all offended by my fears, which were pretty considerable after what happened last time. He assured me all would be OK...and then he made sure it was. He fit me into a very busy surgery schedule to accommodate me and his administrative coordinator was answering my emails within 20 minutes of when they were sent. Mass General has always been intimidating for me, not just because it is enormous but also because in my experience, it was where everyone I know has gone for very serious operations and treatments. I couldnt believe how kind and caring every single staff member I interacted with was to me... They went above and beyond. Dr Austen came to talk to me before I went into surgery (I was terrified but only because I'm a wimp, not because of anything they did :)) and I heard him tell the anesthesiologist in the operating room (I was outside of it) that I was really sensitive and to make sure he walked me through everything and made me comfortable. This meant the world to me, as I already knew I was in the best hands possible but that just made it even better. I couldnt be happier with the results and three weeks later, I can tell you I am shocked at how quick and seamless my recovery has been. I'm beyond lucky and grateful for Dr Austen and his staff, I hope anyone who reads this and the many other words of praise realizes they need to look no further - you can't get any better than him, he's nothing short of incredible!

I'm glad you were able to eventually get your deposit back for your revision. That's great your breast implant revision surgery was successful! Just curious, what size were your original saline implants? Did you get silicone this time and what size? Thank you for sharing your story on RealSelf!