Capsulectomy - Beverly Hills, CA

I needed to have the implants removed as they had...

I needed to have the implants removed as they had ruptured. I had had a mastectomy in 1994 and every 10 years or so they sometimes have to be replaced. My prior experiences had been awful. Doctors were very cold and uncaring and I felt that they really didn't look closely at my chart. This was the first time I was ever treated so well.

My doctor knew my chart well, was extremely warm and caring and acted professionally and cautiously to be sure to give me the best treatment. The shape of my breast is much improved as well. I felt like I was in great hands with him and his amazing staff.

I was nervous in surgery and he was calming.  I have never had such a great experience with a doctor before. I don't wish to add photos but am happy to talk to anyone on a one to one basis.

I do. I exercise and hike when I can. Still have an awful sweet tooth but always try to get in enough healthy things to eat to counteract it.

That is quite a story Jodi, I am glad you were so proactive with how you handled the cancer so that you could avoid it.  I'm so sorry to hear about your mother and aunt.  That is a really tough time to lose your family, and I'm sure it was really hard to see her going in and out of the hospital fighting it.  With your friend, it is unfortunate to hear that her husband wasn't as supportive with her handling the treatment as she should have and she suffered because of it.  You are very strong!  I am glad that things worked out and you seem to take really good care of yourself and know your body.

Kate

I will. I am really grateful even though I have had to go thru surgeries from time to time. In 1994, I was one of the first to have a double mastectomy so early on before the need for chemo. My son was four at the time. I had tested positive from the brcka test (think I am misspelling it) which showed I carried the cancer gene. They had tested me in my late 30's, since I had abnormal mammograms in my 20's and 30's due to fibrocystic breasts. I was always having biopsies. My mother had died of breast cancer by 53 (I think I was around 17 or 18 when she died) and aunt. My mother's mother died early and the doctors speculate that it was for the same reason. 2 oncologists confirmed that If I should have a double mastectomy or risk getting full blown breast cancer within a year or two. I didn't want to take the risk. My son was 4 at the time. A friend of mine had a similar prognosis. Unfortunately her husband placed alot of importance on her breasts. She didn't do the mastectomy and had dire consequences. I didn't want to end up like my mother, always in and out of hospitals. So, even though I have had to have the implants replaced about every 10 years, I have avoided getting full blown cancer and chemo, and am doing well. Today it's common to do what I did and at a much younger age. I was pro-active and am sure it changed my life.
Beverly Hills Plastic Surgeon

The doctor introduced himself and was very respectful. He knew I had been through prior surgeries for a double mastectomy and had already had an implant removal 10 years ago. The nurse or office staff was always present in the room and were extremely professional.