I tested positive for strep today. Will this be a problem for my scheduled Tummy Tuck?
Can I Take Zithromax Before my Surgery on Monday?
Doctor Answers (9)
Strep Throat and Cosmetic Surgery
For your safety no elective surgery should be done until an active infection as been completely treated. In such cases we allow the infection to resolve before considering a return to the operating room.
Undergoing elective surgery is elective, not an urgency or emergency
Thank you for your question. Contact your doctor's office and inform him/her and the anesthesiologist. There is a good chance that you won't have a choice. If you are sick, then surgery may be canceled and rescheduled to a time that you are not sick. It is not worth the risk of getting much sicker for an elective surgery.
You can take your Zithromax; you should NOT have surgery until your strep throat is completely treated.
Thoguh you have started antibiotic therapy prior to surgery, you will NOT have completed treatment, and will likely still have many more strep bacteria still present, even if you remain asymptomatic. Realize that antibiotics work by first killing the sensitive strains of strep that infect your throat, and hopefully killing at least some of the more resistant strains that are present in any billions-of-bacteria colonies that are multiplying and mutating. Soon, only the resistant strains remain, but by then, in most cases of healthy individuals, your own immune defenses are "cranked-up" and able to kill the remaining nasty bugs.
If you don't give your body time to do its work, along with completing your antibiotic prescription as directed, you are at increased risk for laryngospasm (major anesthesia concern) and a higher risk of infection in your operative site. Throat and airway infections are best completely healed before considering elective surgery. Sure these are "theoretically-increased" risks, but should you be the rare exception that experiences one of them, you are NOT "theoretically" dead; it's the real deal.
I know it's a huge hassle to rearrange time off work, vacation, help with recovery, etc. We all get that. But even a small risk of something terrible happening is too big a risk to take! Talk to your doctor. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.
You might also like...
Delay surgery with an active infection
If you tested positive for strep throat on Friday, it is in your best interest to delay your surgery for a few weeks. Let your surgeon know as soon as possible.
Elective surgery and strep infection
Thnakd for your question. I could not tell when your surgery was scheduled for and I am assuming you have a strep throat infection? I would reccomend if you were my patient to treat the infection and wait at least 10 days - 2weeks prior to elective surgery. Please communicate with your surgeon.
Strep Infection Before Surgery
Cancel the surgery. It is not worth the risk to your health to pursue the surgery with an active infection so close to the procedure date.
Strep contraindicates tummy tuck
Infection prior to Tummy Tuck?
I'm sorry to hear about the infection and its poor timing. Unfortunately, online consultation is not the way to go here; you need to communicate with your plastic surgeon...
Strep and Zithromax
Dear Krismiss10, The first question I would ask is, "For what test was the strep test positive for?" If you are having surgery in the next few days, you need to discuss your test results with your plastic surgeon ASAP! The presence of an infection before your surgery increases your risks for complications and post-operative infections. Usually this requires completing your antibiotic treatment and confirming that your infection is gone before proceeding. Even though a Tummy Tuck is an elective surgery, it is still real surgery. Please contact your plastic surgeon who can advise you on the best time to proceed with your surgery. I know you are disappointed in being possible asked to wait before your surgery but your safety is first. Best of luck.