After a Tummy Tuck, I Have a Drain in and Output is 50cc After 20 Days, What Can I Do?

I had a full tummy tuck with a little lipo 20 days ago. I had two drain tubes, after 8 days, one tube was down to 15 a day and that tube was removed. However, I still have the one tube remaining and for the last two weeks every day it is right at 50 cc a day. I am getting concerned about the drain tube being in so long. Is there anything I can do to help fluid decrease?

High drain output after tummy tuck

+2

Although most drains come out after 1-2 weeks, it is not unusual to have the drain for 3 weeks.  If your drain output is not decreasing, you want to make sure that 1) you are not too active and 2) wear compression garment.  If the trend of drain output does not decrease (with decreased activity and wearing compression garment), your plastic surgeon may inject sclerosing agent through the drains to speed up the process.

Web reference: http://www.drkimplasticsurgery.com

Long draining after a tummy tuck

+2

Some patients drain longer than others, especially those with massive weight loss.  Until the drain decreases, the skin and fat have not re-adhered to the muscle and you will get a seroma if you take the drain out too early.  Avoid excessive shearing activity as this increases drainage and stick close with your doctor on this and follow their advice.

Drains after Tummy Tuck

+1

In the majority of cases in my practice, I would never leave a drain in a Tummy Tuck for more than a few days.  I have never left a drain in for 20 days.  Hopefully, you are keeping your post op appointments.  Every patient heals different, but this is unusual.  Be sure you are wearing your compression garment day and night.

Continued drain output after Tummy Tuck.

+1

Every Patient is different in how long they may expect to have drain output after their Tummy Tuck, it just depends on how quickly your body heals.  The surgical drains may be removed in as little as 3-5 days for the first drain and as long as 15 days or more for the second drain.  You should limit any excessive activities, because over doing it will lead to increased drain output.  Wear your binder as much as possible to help reduce fluid and swelling.  If the drain is taken out to soon you might have fluid accumulate (seroma) and have to have fluid aspirated from the abdomen.  As long as there are no signs of infection you should not be concerned about having the drain tube in too long.  Your surgeon will remove the drain when your drain output diminishes, be sure to follow up with your surgeon.

Saint Paul Plastic Surgeon

Drain output

+1

SOmetiems drainage form the tube can last a few weeks especially after a tummy tuck and liposuction.  If taken out too early it could lead to a seroma requiring repeated aspiration.

Prolonged drainage after tummy tuck

+1

After a tummy tuck in most patients, the drains are removed during the course of the first two weeks.  To have persistent drainage for a longer period of time does happen in some patients, particularly in those who have had extensive liposuction or excision of an large apron of skin.  Premature removal of the drain will result in fluid accumilation in the lower abdomen (seroma formation).  Your surgeon will remove your drain when the output diminishes.  Try to be patient.  Good luck.    

Web reference: http://www.josephtogbamd.com

Oakland Plastic Surgeon

Drain Output after Tummy Tuck?

+1

Given the output that  your drain is still having,  I would suggest that you leave the drain in place.  Occasionally, it is necessary to leave drains in  a longer period of time;  it is  rare that doing so causes any problems.

Continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_tummytuck.htm