How Long Do You Have to Wear a Binder if You Have a Seroma? (photo)

I had a tummy tuck 40 days ago. I have been having repeated aspirations to remove the fluid from a seroma since 23 days post-op. I was also told to wear my binder extra tight to reduce the fluid build up. At first, my seroma was draining around 180cc and now its around 35 cc. My PS says I am very swollen in my peri area. I will be 6 weeks post-op in 3 days. I included pictures I took today on day 40. How long do you have to wear a binder after you have had a seroma?

Binder recommendations after a tummy tuck.

+1

Each patient is individualized as to how long they need their binder. From your description, the seroma is improving and seems likely to resolve without further intervention. Your surgeon will dictate how long you need to wear the binder.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Seroma and binder wearing after a tummy tuck

+1

It appears that your seroma is resolving under the care of your plastic surgeon. As he/she is your treating doctor who knows your situation quite well, I would follow his/her recommendations.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

You may need to have drain reinserted

+1

The treatment for the seroma is aspiration and external compression. Your surgeon is taking care of the problem and you will be fine. I would suggest reinsertion of the drain and leaving it for a week . There are special drain that are designed for this.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Seroma/Binder?

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures.

Your plastic surgeon will be able to guide you in regard to the use of binder/garment;  since he/she knows your situation best  I would follow his/her recommendations as opposed to online consultants.

It sounds like you are over the worse part of recovery. Best wishes.