Yoga, Ab Workout and Stretching After Tummy Tuck?

Im 4 months PO tummy tuck w/ muscle repair. The center of my abs will ache and feel tight while doing stretches or other exercises that use my abs. Ive heard you can go back to strenuous workout after 2 months....Is it normal to get the tight feeling or should i wait longer to work core? Also, when i do get back to yoga will the stretches stretch the skin at all(may sound silly) ive had so much extra skin that ive never had this tight feeling in the skin while doing poses. Thanks

Work out and yoga after tummy tuck

+1

I ask my tummy tuck patients to refrain from any strenuous physical activity and exercises for atleast 2-3 months to prevent any complications. At this point in time, you should be able to participate in strenuous workouts and yoga stretches with no issues. It is normal for you to feel tightness and will get used to being more active. Stretching the abdomen area should not cause the skin to stretch and become loose. Enjoy your workouts!

Tight feeling during exercise after tummy tuck

+1

I tell my patients they can ease back into their usual exercise starting at 6 weeks after surgery, but to listen to their body and ease into the activity gradually (not jumping into your old workout full force as soon as you hit 6 weeks). If something feels tight I'd say take it easy and take more time to get back to your pre-surgery routine. Everyone heals at a different rate, and your body's feedback is your best guide.  I expect the tight feeling will get better with time. Your skin will also relax to a certain degree with time, whether you do yoga or not. However, if you feel the skin pulling at the incision when you do yoga, again take it easy so as not to stretch or widen your scar as it continues to heal.

Anita Patel, MD

Resuming Yoga, Ab Workout and Stretching After Tummy Tuck

+1

It is normal to feel a sense of tihtness for months after a Tummy Tuck and the more tension (IE stretch) you put on the muscle repair and the wound the more you may feel the tightness. My best advice to you is to listen to your body. People heal at differing rates with some healing faster than others. If something feels tight, I would not overdo it. With time, things do ease up and at that time you may be safer pushing things farther.

Peter A Aldea, MD