How Long After a Tummy Tuck Can U pick Up a 50 Lbs Bag- I Work for the Airline

I'm a smoker I have not smoked after the op but I'm healing well but I'm having pain and brusing on my back and I'm wearing my (faja) grament its been 1month when am I going to feel normal and be able to pick a bag that's 50 lbs or go to the beach ?

Heavy lifting after a tummy tuck

I usually recommend patients wait up to six weeks before lifting anything heavy, especially 50 pounds. Some patients may not be ready even by the six week time, so you should consult with your plastic surgeon for specific guidelines regarding your particular case. In general, if you're lifting something and it hurts, you should stop lifting.

9201 Sunset Boulevard
West Hollywood, CA 90069

Heavy Lifting after Tummy Tuck

Although strenuous activity, and lifting more than ten pounds, must be avoided for 6 weeks, some people can return to work and daily activities as soon as 2 weeks after surgery. Softening of the surgical scars, return of sensation, and loosening of the tight sensation
may take several months to a year or more. Abdominoplasty involves a recovery period of 10 to 14 days longer than most plastic surgical procedures. Initial discomfort and decreased mobility is typical.
You will be encouraged to move and walk regularly starting the day of surgery. Wearing your TED stockings at all times, except while washing, to prevent venous clots (deep vein thrombosis) is mandatory. Light activity is comfortable in 10-20 days. No sports or heavy lifting for 6 weeks or more, such as lifting 50 lbs bags – please discuss with your doctor for specific questions

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

3991 MacArthur Boulevard
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Time off post Tummy Tucj for Airline employee

Each surgeon has his or her own guidelines for postoperative care. Patients generally can return to light activity 7 to 10 post surgery. More strenuous activity can generally begin 2 to 6 months post surgery. Consult your surgeon has he or she understands the scope of the surgery and the specifics about you.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

1501 Forest Hill Boulevard
West Palm Beach, FL 33406

Lifting heavy weights after tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. If muscle repair was done during your tummy Tuck I usually recommend 6-8 weeks before heavy lifting but you must be examined by your plastic surgeon and specifically asked the Dr. for advice. It is important that you follow the guidelines set up by your plastic surgeon.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

195 Commonwealth Avenue
Boston, MA 02116

Heavy lifting after tummy tuck

My protocol is 6-8 weeks and I would recommend you start slow and increase weight over time.

Raj S. Ambay, MD

27716 Cashford Cir
Wesley Chapel, FL 33544

Lifting heavy objects post tummy tuck

It is best to avoid lifting a 50 pound object for at least six weeks post tummy tuck.  Some patients will not be ready at that time, but they should not lift such heavy objects before their deep layer (fascia) is sufficiently healed.

It is very important for patients with professions that require heavy lifting or potential heavy lifting (like law enforcement) request light duty for six weeks if that is an option for them.

Brent Moelleken, MD

120 S Spalding Drive
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Heavy lifting after tummy tuck

At one month post-op tummy tuck surgery it is normal for you to experience some pain. I ask my patient’s to refrain from any heavy lifting or strenuous exercise for atleast 2-3 months to prevent any complications. You are able to go to the beach, but avoid getting into the water for atleast 6-8 weeks.

On this site, I do my best to give advice without a physical examination but I want you to know that a physical examination by a certified physician is always the best way to get the most accurate information. 

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Lifting after tummy tuck

It is always the best to ask your surgeon these questions.  He/she knows the surgery that was performed.  In my patients, I usually ask them not to try any lifting more than 25 pounds for up to 6 weeks following the tummy tuck surgery.  50 pounds is a good amount of weight.  But it is also a question of relativity:   a 160 pound woman would more easily lift 50 pounds than a 120 pound woman.   So, it is a good idea to check with your surgeon!

Jonathan Berman, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

670 Glades Road
Boca Raton, FL 33431

Lifting after tt

i guess i am conservative , but i have people wait 8 weeks before lifting a significant amount of weight.  the best thing you could do is continue with the nonsmoking .  that will give you and others the greatest reward.

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

62 Omega Drive
Newark, DE 19713

Dear sylviasi,

I would check with your surgeon for specific instructions regarding activity after your tummy tuck. In general, I would recommend not lifting anything heavy for at least six weeks following surgery. I would also pay attention to your body. If it hurts when lifting, consider stopping.

Warmest wishes,

Larry Fan, MD

Larry Fan, MD

77 Van Ness Avenue
San Francisco, CA 94102