One Year After Rhinoplasty and my Smile Has Not Returned. Can This Be Fixed? (photo)

I have read up on rhinoplasty procedures and was originally not too worried my smile had not returned. I have been patiently waiting; however it has been almost 13 months since my procedure. It is a noticeable difference to me and bothers me daily. The tops of my teeth are still covered with my lip when I smile normally. I look at pictures before and my smile was much prettier. Is there anything I can do?

Smile After Rhinoplasty

+1

What you are describing has been known be helped by releasing the depressor septi nasi muscle. It's a good idea to speak with an experienced facial plastic surgeon about this. Following another six to twelve months, your smile should return back to normal.

Increased apparent lip length after rhinoplasty

+1

The nasal depressor septi has considerable anatomic variability and its interdigitations with the tip, septum, and orbicularis oris can be complex.  It may be possible to reattach the muscular elements through an intranasal or intraoral approach.

Significant change in smile after rhinoplasty very unusual.

+1

Hi.

I see what you are talking about.  The upper lip gives the illusion of being longer.  I don't think it will self correct after a year, but my advice is to leave it alone.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Buccal Show??

+1

The effect that is noticed before your rhinoplasty is called buccal or labial show. This is where your see the mucosa or lining over your teeth when you smile. This can commonly occur with patients with very large noses. The nose actually pulls on the upper lip causing it to raise up as a patient smiles showing the gums of the teeth. It is not normally considered aesthetically pleasing. Most patients desire significant buccal show with smiling to be corrected.
 Your smile after surgery in my option is much more appealing than before. You could shorten your upper lip but, this could leave a significant scar just below your nostrils. Consider addressing your concerns with your surgeon at your next visit. Best,

Gary R Culbertson, MD, FACS

Gary R. Culbertson, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon

How Rhinoplasty Can Effect Your Smile

+1

I believe alot of people who have had rhinoplasty have slight changes in their smile but don't realize it or ignore it because they are otherwise pleased with their new appearance. This is especially true if work was done in the area of the nasal spine or subnasal grafts are placed to raise the tip of the nose. There are small muscles located at the base of the nose that flare the nostrils and other things that can be effected by surgery in this area. Regardless, I don't think there is a way to reverse this effect and only you probably notice the difference in your quite lovely smile.

Paul S. Howard, MD
Birmingham Plastic Surgeon

Smile after rhinoplasty

+1

In many cases,  removal of a bump on the bridge of the nose can cause the upper lip to lengthen slightly.  In most cases, this is actually a desired effect of the surgery.  From your photos, I would not recommend any further surgery to try to reverse it.  It looks like you ave a nice result.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Rhinoplasty and smile

+1

Dear photjunkie2013,

• Do you feel anything that is preventing you from smiling?
  • Sometimes we place grafts in the columella that can temporarily change the smile, but usually you see a crease just under the nose
  • You should bring it up to your surgeon where you can have an exam

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD