Will Losing Weight in my Face Make my Nose Look Thinner?

I was left with a slightly pinched tip after a rhinoplasty in 2007. Over the 5 years i have put on 2okg. I am seeking to lose the weight slowly and know that i lose fat in my face as a result. I am concerned that losing weight in my face, particulary along the sides of my nose, will make my nostrils appear more pinched and thinner. Is this likely? I realise there is not much fat in the nose, but will losing fat around the sides of my nose, make the nostrils look more pinched in?

Weight Loss and Your Nose

Though gaining and losing weight can change the shape of your face and can thus create the illusion of a difference, losing weight will not change the size or appearance of your nose. If any changes are realized, it is because of the fluctuations that are affecting the way your nose looks compared to the rest of your face (not because of actual changes to the nose). If you are, however, hoping to make substantial, long-term changes to your nose, a rhinoplasty would be your best option. I recommend consulting a few surgeons in your area for a more accurate assessment of whether or not a nose job is a good option for you to explore.

Weight loss and nose shape

Weight gain won't change the shape of your nose after a rhinoplasty, however your nose continues to change in shape slightly with the aging process.

Weight Loss and Reduction in Tip Size in Rhinoplasty

Should not reduce size of tip compared to the rest of the face.  The tip should look larger if the rest of the face loses fat.

Losing weight should make rhinoplasty result look better.

Hi.

Your nose will not actually change, and all the surrounding tissues will shrink.  This should make your nose more in proportion.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Actually the opposite...

Since the nose rarely changes with weight gain or loss, in my experience I would think that it is possible that you may find you have a better proportion between your narrow nose and your new narrow face, making the nose actually look less narrow.

Weight loss effect on rhinoplasty result

In my opinion, losing weight will not make your nose look more pinched or thinner than it already is.  However, if your excess facial fat had previously been drawing attention away from your nose, then the focus may return to your nose after your face becomes slimmer.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD