Working out After Male Breast Reduction Surgery

When can I start working out my chest again after male breast reduction surgery?

Work out 3 weeks after male breast reduction.

+2

Hi.

1)  In New York City, we tell our male breast reduction patients to keep their arms by their sides for one week.  They can exercise freely in 3 weeks.

2)  Don't overdo it with the pecs, or your chest will bulge out .  You had the surgery to get rid of that appearance.

Exercising Following Gynecomastia Surgery

+1

It’s not uncommon for patients with gynecomastia to be concerned about when they can resume their normal workout routine. This varies depending on the type of surgical procedure performed.

Each case needs to be considered individually since no two cases are the same. In the vast majority of patients, weight lifting and strenuous activities should be avoided for four to six weeks following surgery.

When gynecomastia is treated with liposuction, patients are frequently able to resume their normal work outs sooner than with excisional treatments.

It’s important to discuss this issue with your surgeon before resuming these types of activities. It’s important to remember that premature resumption of strenuous physical activities may be associated with significant complications. 

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Working out after gynecomastia surgery

+1

A large number of patients in my practice engage in bodybuilding or other vigorous exercise programs, and the majority of those individuals might be considered exercise "junkies," a trait I share with them.  As a result, I work closely with my patients to get them back into their exercise program quickly following surgery.  They are advised to take the first week off completely, but I allow them to resume cardio after a week.  I suggest low impact exercise, and I recommend that they start slowly and work up to a more normal level by the end of the second week. Presuming they have no other issues, I allow them to start resistance training after two weeks, minimizing overhead activities and avoiding all direct chest training for a total of four weeks.  They can resume chest training after four weeks, and most patients are nearly back to normal after six to eight weeks.  Following this regimen, I have had no patients with late complications such as wound problems, bleeding, or fluid collection. 

Although this is my approach, all patients should consult with their own surgeon before engaging in any exercise activity post-operatively. 

Richard Silverman, MD
Newton Plastic Surgeon

Exercise after gynecomastia surgery

+1
The length of time you need to wait before working out would be dependent on the type of procedure performed. Generally, I would permit patients to return to the gym to work out their lower bodies about 3 weeks postoperatively but would recommend abstaining from weight lifting or upper body exercises for another few weeks and, then, using the compression garment for support. You should follow the recommendation of your operating surgeon and begin with lower impact exercise and then build up to a more strenuous regimen.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

Working out after Male Breast Reduction Surgery

+1

I always recommend to my patients that 6 weeks is an appropriate amount of time to wait before working out.  One thing to always consider is easing your way back into working out.  Take it slow! You don't want to strain your body.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Exercise after male breast reduction (gynecomastia)

+1

A male breast reduction usually involves liposuction of the chest and direct removal of breast tissue, and occasionally some skin.  Patients must wear a compressive garment or vest after the surgery for about four weeks to help with contour and swelling.  I advise patients to avoid heavy lifting or strenous upper body exercise for about four to six weeks after surgery. This will help reduce any shearing forces or stress of the chest soft tissue against the pectoral muscle.

You may resume aerobic exercise (running, cycling, etc.) in about one week.

Please consult with a board certified plastic surgeon prior to scheduling a male breast reduction.

Dr. Bruno

William Bruno, MD

When you can exercise after gynecomastia correction surgery will depend on what you had done

+1

For the average gynecomastia patient that we see in NJ who has a combination of liposuction and breast gland removal, we recommend wearing a compression vest for 6 weeks.  They should avoid exercise for 2 weeks.  They can start moderate lower body exercises after 2 weeks and gradually build up their upper body exercises between the 4th and 6th weeks.  After 6 weeks, they can workout without limitations.  Good luck!

Dr. Parham Ganchi - NJ Plastic Surgeon

Parham Ganchi, PhD, MD
Wayne Plastic Surgeon

I allow my patients who have had male breast reduction surgery (gynecomastia) to work out in about a week.

+1

Understanding that every patient is a bit different, most of the time my gynecomastia patients can begin vigorous workouts in about a week.  They can begin even before this provided the chest wall is resting (eg. exercise bike).  If there are unexpected issues, then this would be adjusted by they are infrequent and many young men are into weights and can pursue this in about a week.

Working out after male breast reduction

+1

After liposuction for the correction of gynecomastia, we commonly tell our patients that they should wear a compressive garment in the shape of a vest at all times. They may initiate workouts at approximately 4 weeks. However we start all our patients to wear their garments during these exercise sessions.

Pat Pazmino, MD