Can Gynecomastia Be Corrected with Chest Exercises?

Can an existing male Gynecomastia be counteracted by massive chest exercises?

Can Gynecomastia be corrected with exercise?

In a word no. If gynecomastia could be corrected with exercise, I would intsruct my patients to do just that.  However, being fit makes the chest look the best it can. In fact, many, if not most of my gynecomastia patients are very fit and work hard to maintain their physique. Take a look at my gynecomastia before and after gallery to get an idea of what changes gynecomastia surgery can provide. 

Gynecomastia can be a life changing procedure for a man. I have performed gynecomastia on males in their teens to men in their seventies. Look for a plastic surgeon who has performed many, ,many gynecomastia surgeries, view many, many before and after photos and speak to previous patients.

In some males with gynecomastia the enlarged breast appearance is primarily dense, glandular breast tissue; in others it is primarily adipose (fatty) tissue. The most common form of gynecomastia involves a combination of firm, fibrous breast tissue immediately behind the areola and excess fatty tissue in the surrounding area. Sometimes there is no significant skin excess, while in other cases redundant skin must be surgically removed. Be sure to see a plastic surgeon who has treated all types of gynecomastia surgery and who can form a surgical plan that works for your specific needs.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

10941 Raven Ridge Rd
Raleigh, NC 27614

Gynecomastia and exercise

Exercise will build muscle and reduce fat.  Is will likely not affect the breast tissue (just as it doesn't in women).  For gynecomastia, surgical excision with chest wall liposuction is the best approach, particularly in someone who works out to give a smooth chest.

Tim Neavin, MD

9615 Brighton Way
Beverly Hills, CA 90210

Unfortunately not

If you have true gynecomastia then exercise will not improve by exercise. Sometimes it can mask small gynecomastia for a period of time but does not take it away nor does diet.  If it is pseudo-gynecomastia, then this is fat and not breast gland and this can be reduced with diet and exercise.

Miguel Delgado, MD

450 Sutter Street
San Francisco, CA 94108

Correction of Gynecomastia?

Unfortunate, gynecomastia cannot be corrected with chest exercises.

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.

8851 Center Drive
San Diego, CA 91942

Gynecomastia Correction

Gynecomastia cannot be corrected with chest exercises.  The only treatment (unless due to medication which is stopped) is surgical (usually a combination of excision and lipo); in fact, many of my gynecomastia patients have been weightlifters or other bodybuilders.

John Whitt, MD (retired)

4001 Kresge Way
Louisville, KY 40207

Gynecomastia and Exercise

Gynecomastia is a medical condition to describe overly large breasts in men. Affecting 40-60% of men, gynecomastia can occur in men of all ages, body types and weights and is generally caused by a hormone imbalance, hereditary predisposition or excess weight. So even with the most diligent workout regimen and eating right, bottom line – massive chest exercises, or any other for that matter, simply won’t work to correct this condition. For men who suffer from gynecomastia, a breast reduction is the ideal procedure to reduce the breast size as it addresses the patient’s underlying issue of excess fat, glandular tissue and skin.

David Whiteman, MD

3855 Pleasant Hill Road
Duluth, GA 30096

Exercise vs. Surgery

Because gynecomastia is marked by excess breast tissue, it is not possible to reverse its effects by pure exercise. At this point, your body has already developed the extra skin. Though exercise can make the area appear slightly more firm because of the production of muscle, surgery is the only effective option. That being said, if you are not committed to having surgery or are still feeling apprehensive for any reason, do not rush into making a final decision.

Jonathan Hall, MD

92 Montvale Ave
Stoneham, MA 02180

True gynecomastia is a glandular tissue that exists under the areola and surrounding tissues. Exercise will not correct it. It might make it more pronounced with loss of fat. Seek a plastic surgeon with specialty training in gynecomastia surgery.

Ron Hazani, MD, FACS

201 North Robertson Blvd.
Beverly Hills, CA 90211

Gynecomastia Correction with Exercise?

Hi Anonymous,

True gynecomastia refers to an excess of glandular tissue which makes the breast look more feminine. Excess fatty tissue, while looking like gynecomastia, is referred to as pseudogynecomastia. True gynecomastia cannot be corrected by chest exercises.Only surgery can correct it.  True pseudogynecomastia may be corrected with diet and exercise. I recommend that you be evaluated by a board-certified plastic surgeon experienced in gynecomastia surgery.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

9201 W. Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90069