Can Gynecomastia Be Corrected with Chest Exercises?

Can an existing male Gynecomastia be counteracted by massive chest exercises?

Unfortunately not

+2

If you have true gynecomastia then exercise will not improve by exercise. Sometimes it can mask small gynecomastia for a period of time but does not take it away nor does diet.  If it is pseudo-gynecomastia, then this is fat and not breast gland and this can be reduced with diet and exercise.

Correction of Gynecomastia?

+2

Unfortunate, gynecomastia cannot be corrected with chest exercises.

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.

Gynecomastia Correction

+2

Gynecomastia cannot be corrected with chest exercises.  The only treatment (unless due to medication which is stopped) is surgical (usually a combination of excision and lipo); in fact, many of my gynecomastia patients have been weightlifters or other bodybuilders.

John Whitt, MD

Can Gynecomastia be corrected with exercise?

+1
In a word no. If gynecomastia could be corrected with exercise, I would intruct my patients to do just that. 

Michael Law, MD
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Gynecomastia and Chest Exercise

+1
Although extensive chest and pectoral exercise will not diminish the amount of true glandular breast tissue, improving the tone of the Pectoral muscles, Serratus and shoulder girdle (Deltoids, Trapezius, Latissimus, Biceps and Triceps), will improve the appearance of the chest.  This is much more important AFTER your GYNECOMASTIA is corrected, particularly if you are out of shape or somewhat over weight.  I perform a great deal of gynecomastia surgery and I have routinely seen people tremendously improve their overall result by     working out post surgery.  Remember that, in my opinion, Cardio workouts with chest workouts are essential to improve overall health and appearance.
Samuel N. Pearl, M.D.

Samuel N. Pearl, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Chest Exercises Usually Do Not Help with Male Breast Tissue Growth

+1

In the vast majority of patients with gynecomastia, exercises will not improve the condition. Many of these patients have identifiable causes of gynecomastia. These may include normal imbalances and the ingestion of specific drugs.

Prescription drugs, alcohol, marijuana, and steroids have all been associated with the development of breast enlargement. In these cases, cessation of the offending agent may reverse gynecomastia, but exercise will have no impact.

In rare cases, where gynecomastia is associated with extreme weight gain, exercise and subsequent weight loss might impact breast size. Unfortunately, this weight loss might be associated with the development of secondary problems such as breast sag.

In addition, extreme exercises may actually make gynecomastia more noticeable. Enlargement of the pectoralis muscles and the lowering of body fat percentages can make gynecomastia more apparent. In some cases, rigorous exercise may be accompanied by the use of dietary supplements and steroids, which have been shown to make gynecomastic worse.

In the majority of cases of male breast enlargement, surgery will be necessary.

Exercise may result in minimal changes, which probably won’t address the patients concerns. It’s important to contact a board-certified plastic surgeon and obtain a consultation. This surgeon should be able to make an appropriate recommendation.

Richard J. Bruneteau, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Correction of Gynecomastia with Exercises

+1

I do not think exercise will improve gynecomastia.   Only 3 ways to improve:

1.  If due to medication, steroids, marijuana, alcohol: stop the offending drug

2. Undergo an endocrinology evaluation to determine if it is a hormonal problem

3. Surgical treatment.

Paul S. Gill, MD

+1

No, gynecomastia can only be corrected by surgery. Many young men get gynecomastia and in most it resolves without problems. For those whom persist with enlarged breasts, surgical intervention is the only solution. This involves liposuction and/or excision of the breast gland.

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Gynaecomastia treatment

+1

Massive chest exercises will have no impact on gynaecomastia.  Depending on the size, it would be best addressed by liposuction alone or gland excision with lipo.

Sameer Karkhanis, MD
India Plastic Surgeon