Can Gynecomastia Be Corrected with Chest Exercises?

Can an existing male Gynecomastia be counteracted by massive chest exercises?

Can Gynecomastia be corrected with exercise?

+2
In a word no. If gynecomastia could be corrected with exercise, I would intruct my patients to do just that.  However, being fir makes the chest look the best it can. In fact, many, if not ost of my gynecomastia patients are very fit and work hard to maintain their physique.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Unfortunately not

+2

If you have true gynecomastia then exercise will not improve by exercise. Sometimes it can mask small gynecomastia for a period of time but does not take it away nor does diet.  If it is pseudo-gynecomastia, then this is fat and not breast gland and this can be reduced with diet and exercise.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Correction of Gynecomastia?

+2

Unfortunate, gynecomastia cannot be corrected with chest exercises.

Gynecomastia comes from the Greek meaning "gyne" meaning woman and  "mastos"  meaning breasts.  It refers to abnormal development of large mammary glands in males.  The diagnosis can be made by physical examination where relatively firm tissue  (breast gland tissue) can be differentiated from relatively soft tissue (adipose tissue).

Breast prominence due to excessive adipose tissue is called pseudo-gynecomastia or lipomastia.  The differentiation of true  gynecomastia  from adipose tissue is important because the surgical treatment may differ. Usually  physical examination by a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon is sufficient to make the diagnosis  and to determine the best course of treatment.

I have found that gynecomastia is often best treated with  partial excision of the prominent glandular tissue  as well as liposuction surgery of the peripheral chest area.  If the prominence of the chest wall is caused by adipose tissue, then liposculpture surgery alone may suffice.

I would strongly suggest that you make sure you are working with a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon. You will find that this recommendation will be more important than any specific “miracle technology” that you will undoubtedly hear about.

Gynecomastia Correction

+2

Gynecomastia cannot be corrected with chest exercises.  The only treatment (unless due to medication which is stopped) is surgical (usually a combination of excision and lipo); in fact, many of my gynecomastia patients have been weightlifters or other bodybuilders.

John Whitt, MD

Gynecomastia

+1
Typically it is not possible to treat gynecomastia with chat exercise.  The problem is a combination of skin, breast tissue and fat, which is best treated with surgery.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Exercise and Gynecomastia

+1
Exercise will strenthen and elarge the muscle under breast but not the breast tissue itself. Prominence of the male nipple and areola can be reduced by removing some of the breast tissue below the areola in conjunction with gynecomastia reduction.

Larry S. Nichter, MD, MS, FACS

+1
There are no known effective exercises for reducing gynecomastia.  Exercise may diminish the fatty component but unlikely the breast tissue component.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Non-Surgical Gynecomastia Treatment

+1
Yes and no.  General exercise and weight loss can help with enlarged male breasts if they are due to excess fatty tissue, usually associated with obesity and a high Body Mass Index.  In this case, the technical term would actually be "Pseudo-gynecomastia", or "false" gynecomastia which today is probably the most common cause of enlarged male breasts. 

However, I suspect that you actually have what some people call "True" or "Real" gynecomastia, which is associated with an abnormal overgrowth of glandular and fibrous tissue beneath the areola.  Diet and exercise are not effective in improving this condition, and targeted chest exercises would not be helpful either. 

I hope that this is helpful.  Good luck!

David F. Pratt, MD
Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Can exercise help to correct gynecomastia?

+1
Only is select circumstances.  It would only be effective if the person has very small gynecomastia and transforms their chest and pecs to a great degree, so the balance is shifted significantly between the gynecomastia and the pec development.  It would also seem to work if the person became very lean during this transformation and the gynecomastia resolved by way of weight loss.

Gregory Diehl, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon