Liposuction Without Excising Glandular Tissue for Gynecomastia?

I am not comfortable with excising glandular tissue through an incision. I have a small degree of enlargement and want to know if Liposuction alone would show significant improvement.

I'm not necessarily interested in a fully flat chest but I am concerned with a true "shape" of the chest. Would leaving some glandular tissue behind result in any lumps or a "folding" of the nipple? Thank you

The goal of gynecomastia is to remove as much unwanted tissue as possible and leave scars that are inisible or close to invisible. Please view my gynecomastia videos to learn more about my approach

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Hi gynohelp,

Thank you for the post. It would have been helpful if you provided a photograph. That being said, If there is glandular excess that is causing a protrusion then it needs to be addressed with excision. In my experience, liposuction is not an accurate or effective method to treat the gland. It is understandable to be concerned with the incision. However, these incisions tend to heal extremely well.

Dr. Dadvand

Babak Dadvand, MD

Excision for glandular tissue

Liposuction will remove the excess fatty tissue, but it excision is required if you have glandular tissue for a better result. 

Liposuction is a great option for addressing mild to moderate gynecomastia.  It does not address any loose or sagging skin of the breast though.  See a board certified plastic surgeon for more details.  Good luck and be safe.

John T. Nguyen, MD, FACS, FICS
Double Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

John Nguyen, MD, FACS

Liposuction alone can be a very effective treatment for gynecomastia

I treat the majority of my gynecomastia patients with specially sharpened "gynecomastia cannulas", as well as diamond rasps, and miniature endoscopic tissue "biters" which together allow me to remove the tough glandular tissue without having to perform direct excision through a periareolar incision.  I make a 1/4 inch incision in the armpit, which heals essentially "scar-less". Full correction of the gynecomastia or "puffy nipples" can be accomplished using this method in most patients.

No matter what method you use to perform male breast reduction, one of the most important surgical principals is that a small amount of "retro-areolar" breast tissue must be preserved in order to avoid a "sunken in" nipple areolar complex, which is very unnatural looking and a dead giveaway that you have had surgery.

Liposuction male breast reduction

If you have excess fat, then you can have liposuction performed to treat your gynecomastia. However, if you have excess skin and/or glandular tissue, then excision would be better.

However, a physical examination by an experienced plastic surgeon can determine if this technique will help achieve the results you want.

Liposuction for Gynecomastia: Pros and Cons

In the presence of glandular breast tissue liposuction would predictably give an inferior result. Even though you’re interested in a less aggressive procedure, it might not be in your best interest to undergo liposuction. This procedure would probably compromise your result and lead to dissatisfaction.

When gynecomastia is caused by growth of glandular breast tissue surgical excision is usually necessary to correct the problem. In contrast, when breast growth occurs because of fat deposition, liposuction is the treatment of choice.

Glandular tissue tends to be thicker and more fibrous than fatty tissue. When breast tissue is present it can be very difficult to pass a liposuction canula through the tissue. For this reason, liposuction is rarely effective when glandular tissue is present.

Glandular tissue usually requires surgical excision. This can be performed through a peri-areolar incision with minimal scarring. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should help determine what specific option is best for you. 

Will Liposuction Alone Remove male breasts?

If you have only fat contributing to the formation of the male breast, then yes liposuction alone will be effective. This condition is referred to "pseudo-gynecomastia". However, very few men have this, in most cases it is a combination of fat and breast tissue. Some breast tissue should remain for the best contour but if no breast tissue is removed for true gynecomastia you will be very unhappy with the result. By removing fat alone the breast my appear even more prominent. At least 30% of my gynecomastia cases are redo surgeries from surgeons who have only removed fat. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

Most of my patients need excision to improved their results

Most patients need excision to improved their results.Only very few of my patients will end with liposuction alone (Pseudo-gynecomastia).The incision from the excision is usually minimal and therefore it is recommended.

Mordcai Blau, MD

Liposuction vs excision of gland tissue for gynecomastia

The best modality for the correction of gynecomastia depends on the quality and the location of the fat on your chest. If the fat is diffuse and not located in just one area, liposuction may be the best option for you. If you have a small amount of fat and it is located centrally or just below the nipple, a simple excision through an incision around the areola may be the best option. In many of our patients, we performed both of these procedures to treat the centrally located fat as well as the diffuse fat throughout the chest.

Pat Pazmino, MD