Liposuction Without Excising Glandular Tissue for Gynecomastia?

I am not comfortable with excising glandular tissue through an incision. I have a small degree of enlargement and want to know if Liposuction alone would show significant improvement.

I'm not necessarily interested in a fully flat chest but I am concerned with a true "shape" of the chest. Would leaving some glandular tissue behind result in any lumps or a "folding" of the nipple? Thank you

Liposuction for Gynecomastia: Pros and Cons

+1

In the presence of glandular breast tissue liposuction would predictably give an inferior result. Even though you’re interested in a less aggressive procedure, it might not be in your best interest to undergo liposuction. This procedure would probably compromise your result and lead to dissatisfaction.

When gynecomastia is caused by growth of glandular breast tissue surgical excision is usually necessary to correct the problem. In contrast, when breast growth occurs because of fat deposition, liposuction is the treatment of choice.

Glandular tissue tends to be thicker and more fibrous than fatty tissue. When breast tissue is present it can be very difficult to pass a liposuction canula through the tissue. For this reason, liposuction is rarely effective when glandular tissue is present.

Glandular tissue usually requires surgical excision. This can be performed through a peri-areolar incision with minimal scarring. Consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon should help determine what specific option is best for you. 

Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Will Liposuction Alone Remove male breasts?

+1

If you have only fat contributing to the formation of the male breast, then yes liposuction alone will be effective. This condition is referred to "pseudo-gynecomastia". However, very few men have this, in most cases it is a combination of fat and breast tissue. Some breast tissue should remain for the best contour but if no breast tissue is removed for true gynecomastia you will be very unhappy with the result. By removing fat alone the breast my appear even more prominent. At least 30% of my gynecomastia cases are redo surgeries from surgeons who have only removed fat. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

Liposuction vs excision of gland tissue for gynecomastia

+1

The best modality for the correction of gynecomastia depends on the quality and the location of the fat on your chest. If the fat is diffuse and not located in just one area, liposuction may be the best option for you. If you have a small amount of fat and it is located centrally or just below the nipple, a simple excision through an incision around the areola may be the best option. In many of our patients, we performed both of these procedures to treat the centrally located fat as well as the diffuse fat throughout the chest.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Liposuction alone will not correct gynecomastia.

+1

Hi.

1) There is an occasional exception. But you will probably not be happy after an attempt to correct gynecomastia just with liposuction. Believe me, I have tried it.

2) There is almost always a hard disc of breast tissue under the nipples, which CANNOT be removed with any kind of liposuction. If this breast tissue is not removed, you will not have a flat chest.

3) The good news is that male breast reduction is pretty easy surgery with a tiny scar inside the nipples.

George J. Beraka, MD (retired)

Treatment for gynecomastia

+1

The common condition known as gynecomastia is characterized by enlarged breast tissue and affects an astonishing 40 to 60% of men. Fortunately, the condition is easily reversed with liposuction just by making a small incision under the nipple.

Michelle Copeland, MD, DMD

Liposuction only for Gynecomastia treatment

+1

As long as you fully understand that liposuction (REGARDLESS of the technique) can only remove fat and NOT breast gland tissue you can answer your own question.

If your gynecomastia is mostly "fat-based", liposuction alone will get you a GREAT result. If it is largely "gland based" , liposuction alone will result in a sub par result. If, as is commonly the case it is a combination of both, then the result will not be great but acceptable which sounds like the result you are willing to settle for "I'm not necessarily interested in a fully flat chest ".

Personally, I do not think you should settle for anything other than the best possible result since the breast gland tissue remaining after (VASER) liposuction is usually centered like a small cluster of tiny berries right under the areola. The incision used to remove the tissue is a "Smiley Face" incision from 3 O'clock to 7 O'clock on the right breast and the mirror image on the left. These incisions usually heal with GREAT hardly visible scars.

Liposuction only gynecomastia

+1

This depends on the extent of the subcutaneous fatty deposits in your breasts relative to the glandular tissue. IF the bulk of the fullness is due to fat, then you may experience a dramatic improvement with liposuciton alone. Alternatively, laser lipolysis or ultrasound assisted lipoplasty may provide additional benefits for particularly fibrous fat.

Occasionally small amounts of glandular tissue can be removed without excisions after agressive ultrasonic assisance and is known as the "pull -through" technique

Gynecomastia with liposuction alone

+1

Gynecomastia may be due to fatty tissue and / or glandular tissue. If you have all fat it would not be a problem, if you have all gladular tissue liposuction alone would be a waste of time and money.

Jay M. Pensler, MD

Liposuction Alone for Gynecomastia

+1

In my practice, true gynecomastia usually involves both excision and suction.  If you are absolutely opposed to an incision, you can certainly see if you are happy with the results of suction alone.  If not, you can always have the glandular tissue excised secondarily.

John Whitt, MD