Will Fraxel RePair Help Tighten Loose Neck Skin?

I am a 46-year-old female, very thin (5" 4" 100 lbs) and does not have a lot of subcutaneous fat. I'm concerned about my neck area since I have some loose skin and neck bands. I heard of Fraxel Repair on the "Today Show" and thought it is worth considering. Will it tighten neck skin and eliminate neck bands? I tried Thermage about one and a half years ago, and it was a complete waste of money. Should I try Fraxel Repair, or would it be better if I go for some type of a mini lift for the lower face or neck? I'm looking for real results without wasting any more time and money. Thank you in advance.

Fraxel re:pair and Neck Tightening

+4

Hi Mal,

From your description and expectations it sounds like you should go with a surgical neck tightening procedure.

Fraxel re:pair is good at improving skin laxity in the neck and jaw line, but it will not give a "surgical" result, especially if you have muscular platysmal bands in your anterior neck. Fraxel repair will spare you the 3-4 hour operation under anesthesia and surgical scars, improve your overall skin appearance, and take a few years off your face, but your neck bands will still be present.

Unfortunately we have heard of a majority of patients who share your Thermage experience. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Fraxel Repair can tighten loose skin

+3

Fraxel Restore in conjunction with prescription based skin care will tighten your neck. You may need about 5 treatments using proper skin care products prior and in between your procedures to stimulate collagen production. The best think about Fraxel Restore is that they are safe and recovery is quick.

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Loose neck skin: can Fraxel Re:Pair help

+2

Yes, but probably not as much as you might want.  Loose neck skin can mean simply loose skin or it could indicate loose skin, extra fat, and weakening muscle (platysma banding).  The Fraxel Re:Pair is an ablative laser meaning that it will remove skin versus nonablative lasers which leave the skin intact.  The neck skin is delicate and cannot be resurfaced as aggressively as the face due to a paucity of pilosebaceous units which allow the skin to heal.  

I generally use much less power (fluence) and less density when treating the neck because of the limited ability of the neck to heal as well as the face.  This necessary precaution will not allow as much skin tightening as you can get on the face.  Additionally, the Fraxel Re:Pair won't treat fat deposits in the neck or help with muscle laxity.  In those cases, a facelift and necklift are the best options.

John Burns, MD

Don't treat Neck Bands with Fraxel

+2

Although I have never tried to treat neck bands with fractionated Co2 laser, it does not make sense to do and it may risk scarring and tightening of the bands . It will tighten up the skin to some degree - but surgery sounds like the better option in this case . goo Luck!

Joshua L. Fox, MD
Long Island Dermatologic Surgeon

Fraxel Repair Vs. Neck or Mini Lift

+1

The Fraxel laser is good at improving skin laxity in the neck; however it most likely won't give you the results you desire. If you want a more dramatic and longer lasting result, you will benefit more from a neck lift or mini lift; without pictures it would be hard to determine which would better suit you. I recommend finding a board certified plastic surgeon in your area and scheduling a consultation so you can be fully evaluated. "Dr. D"

Edward E. Dickerson, IV, MD
Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon