Pain Involved and Possible over Scarring with Fraxel Repair/Restore

I have a Fraxel Restore procedure scheduled at the only place in my area (Maine) that does it. They have only been doing it for 6 months. I'm concerned if there is pain involved with this procedure, since they only use a numbing gel and do not recommend any pain pills or anti anxiety meds for it. I have panic attacks anyway and take medication for it already (Klonopin). I also had an experience with a numbing spray (for a painless belly button piercing) which caused me to pass out once it reached my bloodstream. So the possibility of passing out is also a worry of mine. When I asked them about it, they said they have never experienced that. Since I am very concerned about the pain, I was told they would give me the strongest numbing cream which I read here is not very safe.

I would also like to know, can Fraxel Restore/Repair cause over-scarring?

I was wondering if anyone could help me with these concerns as I am about ready to back out of this after wanting it so badly for my acne scars. Thanks.

No Pain, No Gain...Just Kidding

+2

Hi Olivia,

Fraxel re:store is usually very tolerable after one hour of numbing cream. It does help in most patients (sounds like you could use some)to give Xanax 1 mg and Vicodin ES about 30 minutes before the treatment. When performed properly Fraxel re:store should not result in any scarring. With Fraxel re:pair, because it is a fractionated CO2 laser, there is the very small chance of scarring, but when performed properly it is very safe. Good luck.

Dr. P

Pain is minimal for most patients

+1

The pain with Fraxel Restore dual is minimal to most patients. Fraxel restore is a bit more uncomfortable, but a numbing cream is used with the treatment makes it less so. When performed properly, Fraxel restore and fraxel restore dual treatments should not result in any scarring. Fraxel Repair requires more recovery time. During that time, more discomfort may be experienced. There is a small risk of scarring, but making sure to use a qualified dermatologist or plastic surgeon will help to ensure desired results.

Web reference: http://www.finetouchdermatology.com/los-angeles-fraxel-laser/

Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon