Will Fraxel Re:pair Help a Whole Set of Minor Problems?

I’ve done my research, gone round a number of clinics and been told I need everything from Sculptra, Active FX, Accent XL and even an S-Lift.

I’m a white male, 32, who doesn’t smoke and drinks moderately who has the following issues:

1) Slight volume loss/skin Laxity and the beginnings of some minor jowelling

2) Slightly Loose skin under my eyes (due to slight loss of orbital fat)

3) Hollow Cheeks ( made worse) with shallow depressions/scars from trauma to the face ( only visible in certain light)

4) Very Fine Lines People guess my age to be mid to late 20’s ( so I’m guessing I’m not aging terribly) But I work in an industry where appearance counts and as the majority of my co-workers are 10 or more years younger than I am it’s becoming an issue.

My goal is to:

1) Improve on all of the above in the most natural way possible – By this I mean processes like Fraxel, Sculptra etc that actually stimulate the body to produce more collagen

2) I’m basically looking for the lowest-maintenance procedure to ‘ freshen up and act as a "pre-emptive strike" against wrinkles and aging

I have to admit I love the results I’ve seen from Fraxel Re:pair and TotalFx But don’t know whether they’re too extreme ( i.e overkill) for minimal laxity and volume loss and , therfore, whether Active Fx and Sculptra would be a better way to go.

I know it’s impossible to say for certain without 1st seeing a patient but any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

10 Years Younger

+3

Hi Confused FX,

Right off the bat, at 32 years old let's forget about the S-lift facelift surgery.

Fraxel re:pair would achieve your goals most likely in a single treatment. You may need supplemental fillers, but I'd wait until after you had healed from your re:pair. It is only "overkill" if you want minor correction, but from what you are saying, it sounds like in your industry you want to look "10 Years Younger". I have found that Fraxel re:pair is very effective in both men and women. I have not had any male patients who have had difficulty in their recovery due to shaving issues.

By the way, last month I treated a patient on the US television show "10 Years Younger", and she truly looks about 13 years younger. The show will appear soon in the US on The Learning Channel.

No need for confusion. Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Take your time with healing

+1

You definitely don't need a face lift at your age, but I would recommmend Fraxel re:pair.  You goals can be accomplished with ease.

Right off the bat, at 32 years old let's forget about the S-lift facelift surgery. Fraxel re:pair and supplemental fillers will do what you need.  You want to avoid doing too much at once.  One of the most important factors patients often overlook is taking into consideration a sufficient healing time.   While many doctors will advise against this procedure for men who shave, I would say that the treatment is safe.  Fraxel is best for more pronounced wrinkles, so I would be careful in doing too much for your "minor problems."

Sanusi Umar, MD
Redondo Beach Dermatologic Surgeon

You probably don't need this done at your age.

+1

Males, in general, are terrible candidates for Fraxel re:pair due to shaving issues afterwards and the color of the skin potentially after the procedure. Additionally, Fraxel is a great tool for deeper, crepey wrinkles, but not such a good treatment for minor damage.

When you talk about Sculptra, this is concerning as this treatment is best for people with major loss of fat such as those with HIV, not a typical 32 year old male. If you have seen a doctor and they are recommending Sculptra at your age and if you don't have HIV, you probably need a second opinion PRONTO.

Good luck on your procedures.

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologist