Bumpy Breast Augmentation Line

The other day in the bath, I felt along the breast augmentation incision line (under my breasts), and the right one is fine, but the left one seems kind of bumpy along the line. It almost feels like little lumps. should i be concerned or is it possible that is just some of my breast tissue that has not yet settled?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Probably need time

+1

It's very common for the deeper stitches to create scarring and inflammation around them resulting in a lumpy bumpy feel.  This will resolve over time.  In fact most scars take at least a year to mature.  So relax, continue to massage and take heart knowing it will turn out well.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Your inicision line will smooth out with time

+1

Dear babeinutah,

Some bumpiness along the incision line is not usual. Sometimes it will be worse on one side vs the other, as in your case. In the great majority of cases, the bumpiness will smooth out as the scar matures. It usually takes a few months but may take up to one year for the scar to mature. I wouldn't worry about to much at this time. Good luck.

Best regards,

Lawrence Tong MD FACS FRCSC 

Uneven scarring after Breast Augmentation

+1

It is not uncommon to have differences in the healing of two incisions.  The bumpiness usually indicates a little more reaction on that side.  Early massage of both incisions, with an emphasis on the "bumpy" incision, several times a day with Mederma or other "anti-scar" creams may be very helpful.  The nightly applying of a small silicone patch over the "bumpy" incision may be helpful as well.  Mederma, silicone pads, and other "anti-scar" creams are typically sold in most drugstores and are widely available.  It would also be important to followup with your surgeon.  Low-dose steroid injections can be an option, if the scarring is more raised than average.  The good news is that scarring does tend to improve with time.  Best wishes.

Michael Vincent, MD, FACS

Rockville Plastic Surgeon

Lumpy bumpy breast implant augmentation incision scar

+1

There are a variety of reasons for this: sutures, fat necrosis, retracted/resected pectoralis muscle origin, Mondor's disease, etc. Discuss this with your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/breast-surgery-chicago/

Healing after breast augmentation

+1

Healing is a process very specific to you. It is possible that you have some stitches that are causing you some discomfort, but that is completely normal. If you are unhappy with you results or you are concerned about the way you incision is healing you should speak with you surgeon.

Alpharetta Plastic Surgeon

Probably just dissolving sutures after breast augmentation

+1

This is probably just sutures under the skin dissolving. Sometimes they form little bumps as they dissolve. These almost always go away in time, usually in several months. See your surgeon to make sure he is happy with how things are going.

Orange Plastic Surgeon

Most likely a healing scar

+1

When the tissues are sewn together underneath, there can aftentimes be a perception of a firm or lumpy line which should soften as you heal over the course of time.

Dr Edwards

Probably just buried stitches which will dissolve.

+1

Hi!

You don't tell us when you had your surgery.  If it was in the last couple of months, don't worry.

In breast augmentation surgery in New York City, we always use absorbable buried stitches that don't have to be removed.  But you can feel them for several weeks.

Scar maturation takes months

+1

Smaturation may take months during which time the scar can be firm, raised, or irregular. Certainly have you surgeon look at it if you are concern, if not to just reassure you. There are also products like silicone gel sheeting that may help soften and flatten the scar. You should also be sure that there are not buried stitches that might be trying to spit out.

See what your doctor has to say!

+1

Dr. Lee Malan is a great doctor and a wonderful person.  I'd call him or talk to him at your next visit.

I bet he'll tell you that everything is normal, and if not, he'll know precisely what to do.

Good luck and congratulations on a wonderful experience!

Ogden Plastic Surgeon