It is Going on Three Weeks and I Have a Deep Purple Under my Eye from Sculptra. Help?

I had sculptra done at my temples three weeks ago, two days later I developed a deep purple bruise under my right eye. It is still there. I have done arnica montana gel and moist heat. What else can I do. It is very dark and doesn't appear to have changed hardly at all.

Reducing Bruising after Sculptra

+2

Bruising is a common risk with all injectable treatments, and it is usually resolved within a couple of weeks.  It sounds like you are treating your bruise appropriately.  In addition to your current treatment, be sure to sleep with your head elevated to reduce pressure in affected area.  Your medication may be at play as well.  Remember that aspirin and cortisone medications can promote bruising, so you may consider discontinuing use of those medications.  Always consult your physician before changing your medication.

Austin Facial Plastic Surgeon

Sculptra bruise

+2

Be patient, a bruise from Sculptra or any injectible can sometimes take weeks to disappear especially in the delicate eyelid area.  It will disappear over the next few weeks.  A laser or IPL treatment is a consideration.

Janet M. Neigel, MD
West Orange Oculoplastic Surgeon

Bruising From Sculptra

+2

Bruising is a common problem that can be seen in spite of both the physician and patient doing all the right things. The bad bruises, especially those under the eye, can take weeks to resolve. Unfortunately Arnica Montana has never really been shown to be effective for either preventing bruising or speeding up the healing process. Artful use of makeup is your best option until the bruise fades. IPL is an option but in this area I would recommend simply waiting.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

Options to treat bruising after filler injection.

+2

Unfortunately, no matter how careful the technique, a bruise can occur after filler placement.  Normally, these will resolve after 7-10 days.  When they persist longer than this, we will occasionally treat them with IPL. Check with your physician to see if this is an option for you.

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bruising After Sculptra

+1

Unfortunately, physicians just can't predict every individuals facial vasculature and avoid the micro-vessels with the needle during injection. If a vessel is nicked, it can take up to a month or even more for the body to go through the full process of healing. Bruising will typically go from purple to brown to green then yellow, so as you see it changing through these colors you'll know your'e on your way to healing. The area under the eyes can take longer to heal than you might expect a bruise on, say, your leg. 

Hope this helps! Best of luck. 

Cameron Rokhsar, MD

Bruises can often be treated with vitamin K cream

+1

It may be a bruise.  Bruises can often be treated with vitamin K cream.  It’s very important to stay out of the sun as the sun can cause the bruise to stain the skin.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon