After Surgery, Why Can I Tell when the Weather is About to Change?

After surgery I can feel when the weather changes. I had rhinoplasty and chin implant. My face feels different when the weather changes. Especially when it going to rain or its humid. Why is this? Will this go away?

Sensitivity to Weather Changes after Rhinoplasty & Chin Implant

+1

As other surgeons have said, sensitivity to weather changes is probably secondaary to inflammation and the healing process in the surgical field. Before you establish a private weather bureau, the fact that this will probably be temporary should be part of your business plan.

Changes in sensitivity after rhinoplasty and chin implant

+1

Some increased sensitivity such as you are experiencing after rhinoplasty and chin implant surgery may be due to the inflammatory reaction in the areas that were operated on. This should resolve as the inflammation diminishes with time.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Can Tell Weather Changes After Rhinoplasty and Chin Implant

+1

Hi Sharpie,

Good question.  Many patients with inflammatory joints have the same condition. With rhinoplasty and chin implant you may have a bit of inflammation around your nasal bones where the osteotomies were performed, and on your mandibular bone where the implant sits.  When the barometric pressure changes to lower pressure, the inflammed area may slightly expand causing you to notice a sensation.  You may also experience the same sensation when going to higher altitude in the mountains.  If you have recently had your surgery, hopefully as your inflammation resolves, you will not be bothered by the sensation as the weather changes.  If it continues, you can always go into a weather forecasting career.  Good luck and be well.

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD