Rhinoplasty Sutures Are Bleeding After Cleaning

I just got rhinoplasty 5 days ago and Ive been reading online about cleaning the nose with Q tips.. Unfortunately, I think I may have damaged my nose. there is no excessive bleeding but while I was cleaning my nose with Q tips along the side of my nostrils with warm water, I noticed red blood on the cotton bud. It is not excessive and it didn't trickle or anything - its still in place but I'm scared that I may have damaged my nose Any help is really appreciated !

Care of Incisions after Rhinoplasty

+2

Alicia,

The incisions early in the healing process are not completely sealed and will often leak/bleed slightly spontaneous or during cleaning.  The important thing is that you clean your incisions.  You have not done any damage to your incisions or surgery.  keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon to avoid any problems.

Dr. ES

+2

I always tell my patients that if they have any concerns to call me and I will be happy to see them in the office.  Patients tend to worry themselves over issues that their surgeon may be able to provide quick reassurance.  That said, it does not sound like you have caused any damage.  Just be careful.  I always tell patients to use lots of antibiotic ointment on incisions.  This will help reduce crusting and therefore the need for aggressive cleaning.

Richmond Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding after Rhinoplasty

+2

It does not sound as though you have damaged anything. Just be gentle when you cleanse.  Occasionally I suggest to my patients to dip the Q tip into hydrogen peroxide and pat the area gently. This will "bubble up" if there is a little bit of blood. Then just pat it dry or cleanse gently with a moist and then dry Q tip. 

Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding After Rhinoplasty

+2

Alicia, from what you describe I would not be worried if one of my rhinoplasty patients had called me with this same story. As long as you don't see any separation of the incision line and there is no persistent bleeding between cleanings, you will probably be fine. I would certainly inform your rhinoplasty surgeon so he/she is in the loop. Happy healing.

Web reference: http://www.drhilinski.com/procedures/rhinoplasty-san-diego-ca/

San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Bleeding Secnary to Cleaning Nose after Rhinoplasty

+1

It is unlikely you did any harm cleaning your nose with a Q-tip after your rhinoplasty. However, 5 days after your rhinoplasty don't get post-op instructions online; ask the surgeon you trusted to do your operation. Consult with him/her now.

Your surgeon probably knows best!

+1

I would discuss the problem with your surgeon and go in for an examination. It is difficult to assess the consequences of the bleeding such as wound separation or dehiscence or widened scar, etc.