Visible Grafts After Revision Rhinoplasty

I am two weeks post revision rhinplasty and the surgeon placed two grafts either side of my nose (just above nostrils) to stop nose looking pinched. One was a catilage graft from septum and the other soft tissue.

I can now after two weeks see both grafts quite visibly and I was wondering whether in time they will go down to the point where I will hardly notice them? Will they get softer as at the moment they are quite hard? Is this just swelling? Or will they always show? Thank you for your help.

Visible and palpable cartilage grafts after revision rhinoplasty (nose job)

+1

Septal grafts are the highest quality graft you can use for revision rhinoplasty but this also means that they may persist in longevity as well as palpability and visibility. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon to provide you with the best advice.

Secondary rhinoplasty

+1

Secondary rhinoplasty is very difficult surgery.

Your surgeon was trying to prevent the collapse of the nasal valve by putting the cartilage graft. As the swelling is subsiding your grafts are now starting to show.This especially true in very thin skin.

Wait till all is healed then bring it to the attention of your surgeon, you may require more surgery

Normal revision rhinoplasty healing

+1

Revision rhinoplasty is very complex and intricate so it is impossible to know if what you are seeing is normal or not woithout seeing photos and an operative report. You should discuss this with your surgeon who will be able to tell you if this is normal swelling or not. Best of luck.

Jason B. Diamond, MD

Grafting in revision rhinoplasty

+1

It sounds like your surgeon was trying to place nasal batten grafts to counteract the collapse of your external nasal valves that you sustained as a result of your prior rhinoplasty. The grafts can be tricky to place and occasionally will be palpable and even visible. The firmness that you have around the grafts and the nasal tips will likely soften over time. I would recommend allowing the swelling to resolve for a few more weeks. The grafts may become more palpable and visible as the swelling subsides and then ask your surgeon about the problem if it still persists.

Philip S. Schoenfeld, MD
Chevy Chase Facial Plastic Surgeon