Difference Between Vaser Lipo, Smart Lipo, and Slim Lipo?

I'm confused with Vaser Lipo, Smart Lipo, and Slim Lipo! Is it more of a doctor's preference? I have had several estimates for lipo and each doctor uses something different.

Yes there are many differences between Vaser, Slim Lipo and Smart Lipo

+4

I agree with many surgeons that say it is the surgeon who is the most important factor in the outcome of liposuction. However, many surgeons do not have the knowledge or experience with much of the newer technology, and therefore may not be providing the best advice. SmartLipo Triplex utilizes three separate wavelengths, 1440 nm which liquefies fat (40 times more affinity to fat  than other laser on the market ) by what is called the photo-acoustic effect (without heat ). The second is 1320 nm which is primarily absorbed by water and is used to heat the dermal collagen for better skin tightening. The third wavelength is 1640 nm and is mostly for hemostasis ( to seal the blood vessels ) so there is minimal bleeding and bruising afterwards. Although the end result may be similar with a good plastic surgeon, I can tell you from my experience using traditional tumescent liposuction and the SmartLipo Triplex, that for the patient, their experience and recovery is significantly different using the SmartLipo Triplex.   Vaser is older technology ( 8 years old ) and utilizes ultrasonic energy to liquefy the fat (not radio-frequency ) before liposuction. It generates quite a bit of heat and can damage the skin if the surgeon is not careful. Slim Lipo, basically utilizes a single wavelength ( actually 2 wave lengths that are very close together ) to liquefy the fat, and is comparable to the older forms of SmartLipo ( about 6 years ago ). In addition, there are other devices like Body-Jet ( water assisted lipo ) that are excellent for treating larger volumes of fat. Look for a board certified plastic surgeon with extensive experience in liposuction and knowledge of newer technology and devices.

Grand Rapids Plastic Surgeon

Vaser lipo, Smart lipo, and Slim lipo what are the differences?

+2

Vaser, Smart, and Slim liposuction all add a power source to traditional liposuction.  For Vaser lipo it is ultrasound energy and in the case of Smart and Slim lipo it is laser light energy.  All three can aid a surgeon in removing more fat with less trauma.  They also can aid in tightening or improving skin tone to some degree, but they should not be considered a subsitute for an abdominoplasty or neck lift when skin laxity is more severe.  I do use Vaser and Smart lipo in my practice on those patients where the tissues are more dense (male chest, flanks, back) and where the energy suce may help skin tone (abdomen, neck, and arms). 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

VASER vs. Smartlipo

+2

VASER, Smartlipo, Slimlipo are all newer machines to do liposuction.  All of these machines melt fat before removal.  If you visit three different doctors you will get 3 different opinions on which machine is used and better.  Which technology is used is not as important as the doctors skill, experience and previous results.  I would suggest you use a board certified Plastic Surgeon with experience in performing all types of liposuction

Stanley Castor, MD

You are asking the wrong question

+2

You are asking about the tool your surgeon will use. What you are getting is LIPOSUCTION, and the differences between these techniques will affect your result less than will the surgeon performing it.

Smartlipo in particular is widely recognized to be a powerful marketing tool and little else. I've never seen a shred of data on SlimLipo. Vaser is a recognized method of doing liposuction and there are good published papers on it, but again, it is less important than the surgeon who does it.

Find someone certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who is also a member of The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Interview them. See their pictures. Examine their credentials. When everything makes sense, select your surgeon. And pay no attention to the method of liposuction that your selected surgeon prefers to use, because in the end it makes no difference.

Steven Teitelbaum, MD

Lipo techniques

+2

For the most part, lipo techniques are like different cars they all get you to where you want to go. I am not sure how much skin retraction you get with the Laser lipolysis machines, but I am not convinced that the results are any better than more traditional techniques.

Vaser Lipo uses Ultrasound, SlimLipo and Smartlipo use laser to liquefy fat before removal

+2

The Vaser Lipo uses ultrasound to break up the fat and liquefy the fat for easy removal. SlimLipo and SmartLipo use a laser to liquefy the fat before removal.

All three technologies work--the MOST IMPOTANT THING IS THE SKILL OF YOUR SURGEON. A highly skilled and experienced board certified plastic surgeon can get a good result with any sysytem.

There are very significant technical differences between the machines which are important to the surgeon.

The vaser using radiofrequency is more powerful and uses a stiff metal probe placed beneath the skin. If not used properly skin burns can occur. Because of the rigidity of the probe treating around curved body contours and in thin skin can be difficult if not dangerous. Generally, Vaser is most useful for very high volume fat removal in more obese people.

Smart Lipo also uses a stiff metal guide to hold the laser fiber and is thus also difficult to use around corners in curved body areas. Smart Lipo uses a 1064nm laser which specifically targets water in the fat, removing fat by first boiling the water in the fat.

I use Slim Lipo laser Assisted liposuction for several reasons. First, the SlimLipo uses a 924nm laser which is specifically absorbed by fat. Fat liquefication using this laser wavelength releases 3-5 times more fat per unit of laser energy than Smartlipo and Cool Lipo.

Secondly, the Slim Lipo laser fiber is inside a flexible quartz crystal and thus can be easily used around the corners of body curves.

You need to find an excellent, experienced board certified plastic surgeon and trust him/her to use the best technology suited for your case.

See before and after photos of Slim Lipo.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS