Extensiveness of Activity After Vaser Liposuction?

I spent the first two days after the Vaser Liposuction for my outer thighs (saddle bags) and upper thighs literally resting. However I wonder, when is it acceptable for me to move around more? Will walking around for extensive periods prolong the swelling?

I feel that by not moving around to my usual degree will cause me putting more weight on. I work with children and have taken 4 days away from this job; but it requires a fair bit of activity and I'm due back tomorrow. I want to get the best results as quickly as possible and would hate to think that something I am doing could interfere with this.

Activity after Vaser

+2

We tell our patients that they should be up and walking the day after surgery. However, they will recover faster if they take it easy for the first 48 hours. A good time to read, watch TV, and relax. On days 3 to 7, they can go back to work and do light excercise such as walking. After 3 weeks they can return to normal excercise routines letting pain and discomfort (If there is any) be their guide.

San Ramon Dermatologist

Activity and liposuction

+2

After  a few days it is OK to move around quite a bit. I would probably limit exertional activities for a few more days, but general walking is good for you.

Activity after liposuction

+2

There are a number of things that affect the time to ramp up activity after liposuction, but the technology (VASER, laser, etc) generally isn't one of them. Most significant is the amount that was removed and the number of areas, as well as your level of discomfort. Your surgeon should have given you specific advice on this.

Richard Baxter, MD

It is safe to walk around after liposuction

+1

Most every plastic surgeon will agree that walking after liposuction is important. Not only does it decrease the risk of a blood clot forming in the legs, but it also helps you recover faster.

Moving around with light to moderate walking can help with the sore muscles, aches, and make you feel better faster. In terms of activity other than walking, it is really up to you and your plastic surgeon.

Please check with him/her about what they recommend postoperatively. The VASER part does not change your postoperative protocol from a standard liposuction protocol. Good luck!

Sirish Maddali, MD

Ambulation after liposuction

+1

Light ambulation is actually preferred after liposuction to promote circulation in the lower extremities which is beneficial in reducing edema and minimizing venous stasis (which can result in a higher rate of blood clots).

In any event, it is important to discuss this with your plastic surgeon as they may have differing opinions