How Does One Find the Right Doctor to Inject Filler?

I've been getting Restylane once or twice a year but not where I live. I'm looking to establish a relationship with someone where I live now and it's been challenging. I'm mostly concerned with the artistry of the doctor, as I really liked the one who used to do my face and trusted no one else. Not interested in jumping from doctor to doctor and I'm used to paying no more than $550 a syringe (I only use one cc around mouth). How do you find someone who's not only qualified but really good?

Restylane and choosing the right injector

+1

Based on your comments, it sounds like you aren't comfortable with anyone other than a doctor doing your injections? If you were open to researching injectors, I would go on various websites in your area, (Real Self, Yelp, City Search, etc.) to read reviews on injectors and verify their credentials. Often you will find highly trained injectors/providers having more experience than some MD's and are experts!

Finding the right Restylane injector

+1

Dear Jane,

1. Realself is a great website to find local physicians
  2. From there, you should read reviews, and find reviews about Restylane injections, specifically
  3. You can interview a couple of doctors and find the best fit for you

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD

I want a filler but how do I choose the right doctor?

+1

Great question about WHO you really trust with injecting something into your face!      In today's competitive medical/surgical world we find not only specialty physicians but also spas/salons/non-core physicians who advertise their "expertise" in injecting.....buyer beware!   Injecting fillers such as Restylane, Radiesse & Sculptra, for example, is a medical procedure not a spa service. It is not a casual 'hobby' to make a quick buck when things are slow.  It requires careful technique, attention to detail, and an artist's skill. It also requires a physician who not only knows how to best avoid complications, but knows how to manage the unfortunate complication when it does occur.  Find out as much as possible about the person doing the injecting. Is it the physician or a nurse or other?  How long have they been doing it & how much of it do  they currently do?  What are the risks & possible complications?  What happens if there is a problem?  Do they have a patient you can speak with prior ?  What do the on-line reviews say about this particular practice?     So...be careful, ask questions & trust both your brain & gut!   

Donn R. Chatham, MD
Louisville Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding the right doctor to inject filler

+1

When seeking a physician to inject your fillers (e.g. juvederm, restylane, perlane, radiesse) or botulinum toxin (e.g. Botox, Dysport, Xeomin), make sure that the physician has specialist qualifications like a dermatologist or plastic surgeon. This will ensure optimal results and safety. As always, best to meet the physician to make sure you have a good rapport and are on the same page as far as what you're looking for. Asking friends or family who have seen the doctor and have been pleased with their results is always good too. ~ Dr. Benjamin Barankin, Toronto Dermatology Centre.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

+1

$550 per syringe of Restylane is not a huge amount to pay, but there are reasonable plastic surgeons with perfectionistic tendencies who will do a more than adequate job for that amount.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

How does one find the right doctor to inject filler?

+1

When choosing a physician to perform your treatment with filler, it is best to seek the advice of a board certified plastic surgeon, facial plastic surgeon, or dermatologist. They are all great choices. Look for credentials and board certification, and before and after photos that showcase the physician's results. Experience is essential, as it will help ensure you obtain the best possible result. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.

Paul S. Nassif, MD

+1

The best way is to ask for personal recommendations from friends or co-workers. If that is not possible, you can do an online search in your area. I would recommend you seek a consultation with a plastic surgeon or dermatologist who does ALOT of fillers. One the day of your consult, you will want to review your injector's before and after photos or patients with concerns similar to yours. You will also want to discuss your concerns and how your physician injector plans to achieve your goals with you. I hope this information is helpful.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS

Weber Facial Plastic Surgery

Stephen Weber, MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Finding a great dermatologist for your fillers

+1

Finding the right dermatologist to do you fillers is not as simple as some might think. Yes, injecting filler   is technically simple. However, getting the results that you want is an art that requires talent and not just technical skill. A happy patient also has to be able to communicate well with their doctor. I would ask friends and then go and talk to a few doctors. I disagree with those that say that the most skilled charge the most. In fact, those that do a huge volume pay much less for their supplies and can sometimes offer an equal or better price while actually doing quite well financially. Maybe start with a small procedure and try someone out. If you gain their trust you can do more. 

Jo Herzog, MD
Birmingham Dermatologist

FInding an expert on fillers

+1
For a board certified plastic surgeon, filler injection is artistically and technically very basic. My impression is that you are hoping to establish a rapport. I recommend that you visit several doctors for consultations to see if you can find a good fit personally. Limit yourself to physicians who are board certified in dermatology and plastic surgery rather than local internists, etc. looking to supplement their incomes. It takes a lot more than a weekend course to make someone expert in these matters.

Robert L. Kraft, MD

How to find the right doctor to inject filler

+1

Albert Einstein is quoted as saying, “The only source of knowledge is experience”. The effectiveness of your treatment depends on your physician’s ability to visualize the desired changes and to select and skillfully administer the best treatments alone or in combination. Since every face is different, the experience and technique of your physician injector is the most critical part to your achieving a beautiful, natural result. Always ask to see before and after pictures of patients they have personally injected. If possible, look for someone who is on the medical education faculty for one of the facial fillers. If they have been selected to train other physicians how to treat the aging face they are likely to be good, experienced injectors.

Mitchell Schwartz, MD
South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon