I Am Considering Upper Eyelid Surgery but Have Vitiligo and Concerned in Case my Eyes Depigment. Has Anyone Done This?

Vitiligo with upper eyelid surgery (blepharoplasty)

+1

Of course, with any procedures requiring trauma to the skin, there exists the risk of unpredictable scarring, and I assume your are referring to the skin (not the iris) becoming depigmented.  I have had several patients over the past 10 years with that condition, and they have healed favorably without complications.  Your risk may be slightly higher than "normal" skin, but not a contraindication to having it done.

Paoli Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery and vitiligo

+1

I have seen several cases of this.  I do not think that the vitiligo poses any increased risk of upper eyelid surgery.  I think you can proceed with confidence!

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

Vitiligo and eyelid surgery

+1

Morning,

I have had a few patients with this but it was else where on their bodies.  I would not expect any issues unless it's on your face or eyelids and even then you need to be sure of the cause.  Was this vitiligo a case from birth or do you have some other autoimmune disease or other skin disease present?  I would review your situation with a dermatologist first and then proceed with surgery with a Facial Plastic Surgeon or Oculoplastic Surgeon.

Best of luck and make sure you get a thorough evaluation before proceeding.

Chase Lay MD

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon