My Eye Wont Shut Completely After Surgery?

One of my eyes does not shut well after my LSL Blepharoplasty 3 weeks post op and is the only place that is still bruised- will this eventually relax? It actually hurst to try to close my eyes tight and when I am in the shower washing my face with my eyes closed water seeps in and I can not stop it so I know my eyes are not shutting tight. I can not upload a picture at this time-

Problem after Blepharoplasty

I recommend seeing your surgeon right away as your eye not closing is a problem. By not closing properly, your eye can dry out leading to corneal abrasions or even blindness. You need to use artificial tears and keep your eyes moist in the meantime.

Fayetteville Facial Plastic Surgeon

2053 Valleygate Drive
Fayetteville, NC 28304

Tightness will improve with time.

Surgical scar will evolve and soften over a period of months. I would not consider revision surgery on anyone until the 3 month post operative visit, and sometimes even longer than that. So lets put to bed the idea that you need a skin graft right now. No need to get you more anxious than you already are.

First and foremost, this discussion should be had with your surgeon.

But to get you less anxious:  Things will improve with time. Massaging can help accelerate that process [Talk to your surgeon about the technique]. And in the meanwhile, lubricating ointment and drops will help keep your eyes more comfortable.

If after three months things are still bothering you, seek a second opinion.

I would recommend consultation with an ASOPRS trained Oculoplastics surgeon. You can find one close to you on the ASOPRS dot org website.

A.J. Amadi, MD
Seattle Oculoplastic Surgeon

1110 112th Ave NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

Eyelid closure problems after surgery

Since you are only three weeks out of lower eyelid surgery, this condition generally resolves but not always. I would discuss with your surgeon about massaging the lower lid upwards and also the use of eye lubricants to keep the eye moist in the interim. Good luck.

Scott Trimas, MD
Jacksonville Facial Plastic Surgeon

1361 13th Ave South
Jacksonville Beach, FL 32250

Eyelid closure problem after surgery

The eyelid healing process after surgery undergoes various stages.  In the first stage (weeks), the eyelid is swollen and weak and may not close well.  Therefore, your eyes may close after this stage.  However, it may be possible that they won't close even after this peroid, caused by various factors including mechanical eyelid problem, weak muslce, etc.  You should consult an oculoplastic surgeon.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

9735 Wilshire Blvd
Beverly Hills, CA 90212

Eyes don't shut 3 weeks after surgery

One of the dangers of this forum is that you will get conflicting advice.  None of the docs who have replied thus far is an oculofacial specialist so it is likely that they do not do the volume of eyelid procedures done by those in my specialty.  I think that it is very likely that A. Not too much skin was taken  B. That things will get better with additional time  C.  That I agree with the need to protect your corneas while you are healing with over the counter tear drops, gels, and ointment.  See your doctor for reassurance.

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon

6025 4th Street North
St. Petersburg, FL 33703

Inability to close eyes

If at three weeks you are not able to completely close your eyes, then I suggest you see your surgeon for evaluation.  

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Unable to close eyes after blepharoplasty

If you can't close your eyes after a blepharoplasty 3 weeks ago, this is a big problem and you need to see your plastic surgeon right away. You will need to protect your eyes with lubicating ointment or drops, and you may also need a revisional surgery. If too much skin was removed - which is the most common reason for not being able to close your eyes - you may need a skin graft.

Matthew Schulman, MD

950 Park Avenue
New York City, NY 10028

You Need To Start Putting Saline Drops in Your Eyes and See Your Surgeon ASAP

In order for your eyes to lubricate properly, the eyes must completely close.  If your eyes do not close, then the eye can dry out leading to a corneal abrasion or worse, blindness.  You need to place artificial tears in your eyes to keep them moist and see your surgeon immediately.  

Jonathan Kulbersh, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

6849 Fairview Road
Charlotte, NC 28210

Won't Shut

The most important issue for you right now is to protect the eye that will not close.  You could sustain a very painful corneal abrasion, or worse.  Contact your surgeon now or see a Facial Cosmetic Surgeon immediately!

Robert Shumway, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

9834 Genesee Ave
La Jolla, CA 92037