Is it unusual for my saline implants to last 35 years?

I had augmentation done in 1975 and, other than some early problems in the first 5 years, they seem to be ok. I am considering removal though as I'm 63 and concerned about mammograms not being accurate.

Saline breast implants lasting 35 years

+1

Are you surge you have saline? Saline implants were relatively uncommon in 1975 and I would first make sure that this is the case. However, implants are remarkably resilient. IT is possible that they are intact or that they have ruptured and yopur native brest tissue has compensated.  

Saline and 35 years

+1

I am glad to hear that you have had no real problems with your implants after the first incident.  It is up to you if you want them exchanged or removed.

35-year old Implants

+1

In my experience, saline implants may indeed last for 20 or 30 years. I do usually recommend removal on an elective basis for most patients whose implants are 20-plus years old simply because the unexpected rupture is frequently more difficult for the patient and physician to deal with. Certainly if your implants are 30-plus years old I'd recommend this. They can either be removed completely or removed and replaced. A board certified plastic surgeon can help you make a the best decision for your body.

Deason Dunagan, MD
Huntsville Plastic Surgeon

35 year old implants

+1

It is not usual.  Most women tend to change implants because of size or just the fact women want them out.  Usually the implants are okay.  So they would probably last a while if just left alone.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

35 year old intact Breast Implants are possible but not common

+1

Regarding: " Is it unusual for my saline implants to last 35 years?
I had augmentation done in 1975 and, other than some early problems in the first 5 years, they seem to be ok. I am considering removal though as I'm 63 and concerned about mammograms not being accurate."

Breast implants do not last forever. Like all man made devices they eventually fail and leak. This happens anywhere from a day after the surgery to over 35 years later. Many leak after 10-15 years. Once they leak, a saline implant will go partially flat in a few days as the saline is absorbed by the body, while a silicone gel implant MAY be associated with vague symptoms but the breast will not change in size.

Interference with mammograms is always a consideration, especially with implants placed over the muscle. a MRI is a MUCH better screening test for breast cancer than a mammogram and while more expensive it will pick tumors much earlier.

Dr. Aldea

Longevity of Saline Implants

+1

Saline implants can indeed last for 35+ years.  I have a retired associate who has several greater than 35 year old implants intact in patients.  You are correct in your assumption that your implants could possibly interfere with your mammagrams.  You, like all women, must weight that possibility with the benefit you derive from the implants.  The other consideration in your situation is that your implants in all likihood were placed above the muscle which could interfere even more with mammagraphy.

John Whitt, MD