Swelling in Armpit Area After Breast Implants

I had seline implants behind muscle done 2 weeks ago. Yes,there is a normal swelling that goes with the surgery,however my concern is about the swelling on 1 side. The swelling starts from higher, actually is starts from the armpit area. I went back to the doctor and he said that I should wait 4 weeks to see if the swelling goes down. Then, wait 4 more months to see if it will even out. Of course if it does not, he will have to open it and do something. Is this normal or should I be worried?

Do not worry.

+1

Swelling is not always equal on both sides of the body.  You had an incision and an implant inserted into it.  It takes a few months for swelling to go down and to see your final results.  Sounds like your surgeon is sympathetic to your situation and willing to correct any issues you may possibly have in the future.  You really shouldn't worry at all at this point.

Armpit swelling after breast augmentation

+1

You forgot to mention which approach was used for your augmentation?  If it was transaxillary, then you should expect more swelling in the armpits. But follow closely with your doctor.

Swelling after breast implants

+1

Some swelling is still normally present 2 weeks after breast augmentation, and usually resolves over the following few weeks. If the surgery was performed via a transaxillary approach, there may be additional swelling up towards the armpit. Revision may be deferred for several months after the initial operation to allow for complete healing to occur.

Olivia Hutchinson, MD

Swelling in armpit area after breast implants

+1

Regarding: "Swelling in armpit area after breast implants  I had seline implants behind muscle done 2 weeks ago. Yes,there is a normal swelling that goes with the surgery,however my concern is about the swelling on 1 side. The swelling starts from higher, actually is starts from the armpit area. I went back to the doctor and he said that I should wait 4 weeks to see if the swelling goes down. Then, wait 4 more months to see if it will even out. Of course if it does not, he will have to open it and do something. Is this normal or should I be worried?
"

Unless you had your implants placed through an armpit (Trans-axillary) incision there should not be significant swelling in that area. Your surgeon is the only one who knows what he did and what to expect and I would trust him. If things have not resolved by 3-4 weeks after the surgery you should ask for an explanation or seek a second opinion.

Swelling Takes 2-3 Months To Resolve

+1

At this point, omly being two weeks after the surgery, I would not worry about it.  Be patient and give it time - it can take 2-3 months for all the swelling to go down, the muscles torelax, and the implants to fully settle into position.  If at that  time they have not, then you may need some sort of revision.  I hope this helps.

Christopher V. Pelletiere, MD
Barrington Plastic Surgeon