Unhappy with 400cc Implants Post Op 10 Weeks. What To Do?

10 weeks post op with my 400cc silicone high profile implants, and I am unhappy with their size. They are MUCH smaller than I wanted them to be, I am 5'1, 120lbs. After looking at other people with 400cc high profile silicone implants, I'm starting to wonder if that's really what mine are! I am only measuring a B cup, I was an A before surgery. Although they are "fuller" they are not really "bigger". I don't know what to do, they are just not what I expected for $7000, I thought I'd be happier.

Unhappy with breast augmentation results

+3

I previously had this complaint on occasion before I started to use preop sizing in the office. At the first consultation and at the pre-op visit if needed, I now put people in a stretchy bra and have the patient use sizers in front of a mirror to get an idea of the effect of different sized implants. I have also used inflatable sizers and both give a good idea of the effect of volume on the appearance. It is not perfect, as the implants look a bit smaller inside than on the outside, but it is better than looking at photos or talking about it. Not everyone agrees that preop sizing is good, but it has markedly reduced the number of complaints that the size was too small in my office.

That said, 400 cc is quite large for a lady of your stature. Typically we see about a 1 and a half to 2 cup size increase with implants of this size. You should have a card with the implant information on it telling you what volume you have.

One possible reason I see for dissatisfaction is "moving the goal posts": in other words you get used to the implants being there and actually forget how small they were, and the swelling and upper breast fullness settles, then you yearn for larger.   Before getting too upset, especially at the surgeon, you should discuss your concerns calmly with your surgeon, and look at the before and after photos to see the dramatic change you probably have. Good luck!

Chapel Hill Plastic Surgeon

Too small

+1

An implant of that size in your frame is pretty big.I always tell my patients yes you want to be big but I also have to be able to close the wound.the bigger the implant the harder it is to close the wound.So if a patient does not have alot of loose excess skin and laxity the surgeon has a limit as to how big an implant he or she can place.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Unhappy with implant size.

+1

The first person to discuss your concerns with is your surgeon. Unhappiness with implant size is one of the most common reasons for a revision surgery. However, at 10 weeks out from surgery, it would be premature to operate at this time. Give yourself at least 6 months before committing to another operation and another size. Be aware that choosing implants that are oversized for your body may cause problems down the line which are much more difficult to correct.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Size dissatisfaction after breast enlargement

+1

You are still relatively early in the maturation process following your breast augmentation. I surely would wait at least 6 months following surgery before considering an implant exchange. It would, however, be reasonable to mention your concern regarding your size dissatisfaction with your surgeon.

As regards your implants and your stated weight and height, I find it a little hard to believe that this relatively large implant only increased you from an "A" cup to a "B" cup. Photos before and after would be helpful.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Unhappy with implant size

+1
As others have recommended I would talk with your surgeon and share your concerns. While implant size alterations are the most common reason for revisionary breast augmentation surgery I wouldn't rush into anything quite yet. I ask my patients to wait at least 6 months in general before considering a revision. Best of luck, Dr K

Mahlon Kerr, MD, FACS

Implant remorse

+1

At ten weeks, your implants should be settling in pretty well and the swelling should be diminishing or have diminished.  You should give it 4 months or so before considering a revision, and then talk with your surgeon.

Unhappy with Breast Implants?

+1

I'm sorry to hear about your disappointment after breast augmentation surgery.

Given that it is still very early after your surgery, it will be in your best interest to wait several months before evaluating the end results. I ask my patients to wait 6 months to one year to evaluate the results of last augmentation.

Prior to breast augmentation surgery (and possibly revisionary breast augmentation surgery in your case) it is critical for patients to communicate their goals clearly with their plastic surgeons. This communication process should be “fine tuned” to the point where both patient and surgeon feel comfortable that they understand what the patient is trying to achieve.

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. I have found that the use of words such as “bigger”  etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.‚Ä®Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup  size may also be inaccurate.

In some cases, after this communication process, it may be necessary to inform the patient that their goals are not achievable and/or safe given their body type and/or other considerations.

I would suggest that you wait several months, continue to follow-up with your plastic surgeon, and communicate your concerns/goals in a calm, non accusatory fashion.

Going bigger on your breast implants may or may not be a good idea

+1

This first thing you should do is discuss your results with the plastic surgeon who did your surgery.  The number one cause for reoperation for breast augmentation nationally is for size change. That is why it is so important to be very thorough during the sizing process.

Also, before you rush off and get bigger implants, keep the following in mind:

1. As you get older, your breast skin will age, stretch and become thinner even without an implant.  The larger any breast, augmented or not, the worse it will look over time due to skin stretching.

2. Adding any implant to your breast adds weight and will produce stretch and irreversible thinning of your breast tissues over time.

3. The larger the implant, the greater the amount of breast tissue stretch that will occur.

4. Adding excess weight to the breast almost guarantees that it will look worse over time, with increased stretch and sagging.  It is impossible to predict whether or when this will occur in any individual patient.

5. Adding weight to your breast with a large implant may cause you to need further surgery in the future, particularly mastopexy (breast lift) with additional visible scars and risks.  You will incur additional costs, time off work, risks, and trade-offs if additional surgery is necessary.

6. Excessive breast tissue stretch from a large implant can make you more likely to have surgical complications with healing problems if the tissues become very thin.

7. As breast tissues thin, You will definitely be able to feel your implant and portions of the implant may be visible through your skin and visible rippling or wrinkling may occur.

8. If excessive stretch or complications occur (and this is unpredictable), it may even become necessary to remove the implants, with compromise in the appearance of your breasts and probable visible scarring if breast lifting (mastopexy) is necessary when the implants are removed.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS