Could High Altitude Be Causing Changes in Breast Implants Like Popping Sounds?

I have had silicone breast implants for 6 years. I have lived at sea level and at an altitude of 9000 feet and have not had any issues. I have experienced crepitus, popping sensations, and gurgling sounds at the suture lines under my breasts for 2 days when lifting my arms or moving my breasts. I drove from sea level to altitude but this is nothing new for me in the past 6 years.

Altitude and Breast Implant “Popping” Sounds?

+2

I do not think that the “sound effects” that you are experiencing are related to the breast implants or silicone material itself.  It is more likely that the noises are created by  movement/cracking of the breast implant capsule. Crepitus, at this stage, would be a very unusual ( and potentially concerning) finding;  this is usually seen immediately postoperatively caused by air tracking in the subcutaneous tissues. There is no breast implant related reason why you should have this phenomenon occurring at this time.  If there is air escaping your respiratory system and being trapped in the subcutaneous tissues,  causing the crepitus, you should be evaluated by a physician ASAP.  Chest x-ray may also be indicated.

High altitudes

+1

Crepitus is often felt /heard initially after surgery when you go from low altitude to high altitude.  It should not occur at 6 years after surgery. This could be something else, and without an exam it is hard to say.