Umbilicoplasty to Reduce Large Belly Button After Tummy Tuck?

6+ months ago i had a tummy tuck and hoped to keep it between me and my surgeon. The TT was perfect, however, my belly button is now a walking billboard that I've had work done. The scar is actually around the belly button by a far margin, it has 2 "hoods", and the shape is perfectly round and large - very UN-natural and obviously from surgery. 1) Can the scar be hidden? 2) Can the shape be made more natural? 3) Can the extra hood be removed? 4) can it be made at least smaller somehow?

Revise Umbillicus

+1

Yes it can be improved but the issue is that you will need an incision and you cannot garantee you wil like the way you heal that incision. I would wait before making a decision to have surgery because scar do fad overtime. Best Wishes.

Umbilical Revision after Abdominoplasty

+1

In general you should wait between 12 to 18 months to see the final result of the scar. If after this time the umbilicus appears to big or noticeable, then revision may be required.  These can be quite challenging since it appears that skin from the abdominal flap was already removed to fit the larger umbilical stalk.  An attempt can be made to make the umbilicus smaller and tack it down to the muscle layer with permanent sutures. In time it may relax and widen again, and you need to be prepared for this if a revision is undertaken. Good Luck!

Christian Prada, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Belly Button Scar

+1

Yes, this scar can most likely be improved.  You have to allow for time before considering scar revision (I would recommend 8-12 months - closer to the year mark is best) so that the scar is mature.  Scars fade with time.  This is a potential risk associated with the tummy tuck surgery but it is correctable. Keep in contact with your surgeon and allow him/her to take care of you.

Yes, yes, yes, yes

+1

That is a very bad scar around your umbilicus.  That makes it a bad result.  You need additional surgery to revise your unbilicus.  The scar needs to be excised (cut out) and repositioned deep to the muscles and fascia level so it cant be seen.

E. Anthony Musarra II, MD

Umbilicoplasty can revise a unsightly belly button

+1

You've got a circular scar that appears to be hypertrophic (thickened) arounf the outside of your BB. The ideal is a fine-line scar INSIDE the BB. Wait a few months before doing a revision. Your BB can be revised and made prettier.

Scott C. Sattler, MD, FACS

Belly button can be key great tummy tuck

+1

The belly button is the scar which often cannot be concealed after tummy tuck and planning and care are critical to a best outcome. When the scar and inset are too large, the ring effect can be very hard to correct and most of know more techniques that do not work to fix things. Best advice is to wait a year or more to see if the scar will fade to your satisfaction. Also, conceal with a self tanner to hide the scar, tacky, but summer is short.

peterejohnsonmd

+1

Absolutely!  It will never be as perfect as it could have been if done meticulously at the time of your first surgery, but there are things that can be done to make it look MUCH better.  I agree, talk to your surgeon.  If he/she doensnt sound enthusiastic or tells you that no improvement can be made, find another surgeon who can guide you through your options.  Good luck!

Amy T. Bandy, DO, FACS
Newport Beach Plastic Surgeon

Fixing a belly button

+1

I would say that once the scar is made in this design and outside of the belly button itself, it will not be able to be hidden.  Waiting for it to fade (maybe a year or more) may be the best option.  Once it is lighter than your skin it will be less noticeable.  One thing I would avoid is having a surgeon place a "purse string" suture around it to make it smaller.  A similar operation is done on the breast to reduce the size and lift an areola, but it is a set up for failure in this area.  The two areas don't heal the same and the scar is usually wide and thick. 

One option is closure in a V-Y fashion.  This is plastic surgeon language and your surgeon or another in the your area can explain it best in person, but essentially one would cut out the area between the your too big of a scar and the more appropriately sized scar and then close it with a vertical scar below your belly button and this makes the scar around the belly button get smaller.

Good Luck.

Dr. P

Byron D. Poindexter, MD
Reston Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty

+1

Thanks for the photos.  This can happen sometimes.  An umbilicoplasty can be performed and more than likely improve what you have.  Since you seem to be very happy with the TT, why don't you discuss this with your surgeon and get their opinion as to what they think and what they would do.  Surgeons want their patients to be happy. Open communication is key.

Albert Dabbah, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon