Belly Button Revision After Tummy Tuck

I had a full tummy tuck w/ muscle repair, hernia repair and flank lipo 3 months ago. I am dissatisfied with my belly button. There isn't a hole, it looks like a piece of flat skin. Picture attached. Can I get a belly button revision after getting a tummy tuck? I am happy with my results otherwise. Thank you!

Belly Button Revision After Tummy Tuck

+4

Because you are so thin, your belly button is not sufficiently sunken and that appears to be the source of your dissatisfaction. In addition, the classical attractive hooding from 11o'clock to 2 o'clock is missing as well. I would recommend you wait until 8-12 months after surgery and then undergo a belly button revision. It is fairly straight forward and can be done under local anesthesia in some people.

I do not think that revision will help much

+4
Your Tummy tuck worked too well and you are very tight. There is not much of skin to do revision. Leave it alone and later on as your skin stretches, you mat become a candidate.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Give it some time before considering further revision.

+3

Although it may feel like you are completely healed up after just three months, the truth is that the body will still make adjustments over the next few months as well. There are solutions that can help you improve the look of your belly button, but I would recommend giving it a little more time to see how your skin continues stretching before considering additional procedures. By about six full months after surgery, you can schedule a follow-up with your surgeon to address appearance concerns if you still feel the look of your belly button has not improved by that time.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Revision of the umbilicus

+2

The problem with your umbilicus is that there is no depth to it and the margins are everted instead of inverted.  There should be some degree of  hooding at the top and some depth to the stalk.  Since you are early in the post operative recovery phase I would give this time to resolve.  Six months down the road you could consider a revision.  

Belly button revision after tummy tuck

+2

Yes, you can sometimes improve an unsatisfactory belly button after tummy tuck.   Sometimes there is swelling in the stalk that makes the inside of the belly button puffy.  There could be a small umbilical hernia.  If the circular scar shrinks it can make the hole too small.  It is hard to tell from your photo what your specific issue is, but you can try putting a soft ear plug in the navel to help shape it.  If it truly is flat and flush with the surrounding skin, you will need a more involved procedure to attempt and recreate a dimple there.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Falt belly button after tummy tuck

+2

It appears that your scars are still fresh and swelling may make your belly button appear full and flat. Consider using the "marble trick" prior to undergoing additional surgery.

Belly Button Revision After Tummy Tuck

+1
Belly buttons can be revised after tummy tucks, but you are too early in the healing process to do this.  Allow the tissues to settle into the final position over the next several months and look to follow up with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:
WirthPlasticSurgery.com

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

Belly button scar revision after tummy tuck or abdominoplasty to correct a poor belly button scar

+1

Belly button scar revision is an ideal treatment to improve the appearance of the belly button after childbirth or abdominoplasty.  As a plastic surgeon in Los Angeles, I often am asked to fix a belly button after abdominoplasty by another surgeon.  In this case, a new belly button will have to be created to improve the marsupialization of the belly button. 

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS