Belly Button Revision After Tummy Tuck

I had a full tummy tuck w/ muscle repair, hernia repair and flank lipo 3 months ago. I am dissatisfied with my belly button. There isn't a hole, it looks like a piece of flat skin. Picture attached. Can I get a belly button revision after getting a tummy tuck? I am happy with my results otherwise. Thank you!

Belly Button Revision After Tummy Tuck

Because you are so thin, your belly button is not sufficiently sunken and that appears to be the source of your dissatisfaction. In addition, the classical attractive hooding from 11o'clock to 2 o'clock is missing as well. I would recommend you wait until 8-12 months after surgery and then undergo a belly button revision. It is fairly straight forward and can be done under local anesthesia in some people.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Give it some time before considering further revision.

Although it may feel like you are completely healed up after just three months, the truth is that the body will still make adjustments over the next few months as well. There are solutions that can help you improve the look of your belly button, but I would recommend giving it a little more time to see how your skin continues stretching before considering additional procedures. By about six full months after surgery, you can schedule a follow-up with your surgeon to address appearance concerns if you still feel the look of your belly button has not improved by that time.

Frank Campanile, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

425 S. Cherry St.
Denver, CO 80246

I do not think that revision will help much

Your Tummy tuck worked too well and you are very tight. There is not much of skin to do revision. Leave it alone and later on as your skin stretches, you mat become a candidate.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

3901 Veterans Blvd
Metairie, LA 70002

Belly Button Revision After Tummy Tuck

Belly buttons can be revised after tummy tucks, but you are too early in the healing process to do this.  Allow the tissues to settle into the final position over the next several months and look to follow up with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

For more information, please go to my website at:

Garrett A. Wirth, MD, FACS

400 Newport Center Drive
Newport Beach, CA 92660

Revision of the umbilicus

The problem with your umbilicus is that there is no depth to it and the margins are everted instead of inverted.  There should be some degree of  hooding at the top and some depth to the stalk.  Since you are early in the post operative recovery phase I would give this time to resolve.  Six months down the road you could consider a revision.  

3096 Peachtree Industrial Blvd
Duluth, GA 30097

Belly button revision after tummy tuck

Yes, you can sometimes improve an unsatisfactory belly button after tummy tuck.   Sometimes there is swelling in the stalk that makes the inside of the belly button puffy.  There could be a small umbilical hernia.  If the circular scar shrinks it can make the hole too small.  It is hard to tell from your photo what your specific issue is, but you can try putting a soft ear plug in the navel to help shape it.  If it truly is flat and flush with the surrounding skin, you will need a more involved procedure to attempt and recreate a dimple there.

Marialyn Sardo, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

9850 Genesee Ave.
La Jolla, CA 92037

Belly button revision

I would recommend waiting until a year mark and fully allow the abdomen to heal before embarking on a belly button revision.  You plastic surgeon would be the best one to attempt the belly button revision unless you are reluctant to go back.  In addition, you need some mild skin laxity to be able to manipulate the umbilical region.

Young R. Cho, MD, PhD

5061 FM 2920
Spring, TX 77388

BB - Revision

You should discuss this with your surgeon. You can do something with your BB under local anesthesia. In your case I would try to make it a little smaller and more oval. Good Luck, 

Derby Sang, MD

Plastic Clinic, Av. Gustavo Mejía Ricart #196 esq. Av. Abraham Lincoln
Santo Domingo , Distrito Nacional

First allow the area to heal. Your TT looks terrific. Due to your slender frame, the  belly button does not have the hood that is normally seen. Wait  an additional 6 months and  I believe a revision  can be done with a good outcome.

Don Fontana, MD
Waldorf Plastic Surgeon

3500 Old Washington Road
Waldorf, MD 20602

Belly button after surgery

Yes, this can be revised and should look better. However, you are very thin so getting an excellent result will be difficult. 

Kurtis Martin, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

6355 East Kemper Road
Cincinnati, OH 45241