Risks if Umbilical Hernia Not Fixed?

I have a small umbilical hernia and I'm wondering, are there any risks if I don't get it fixed? Also, if I choose not to do the repair, can I train my belly button to go in on its own?

Umbilical Hernia: To operate of not to operate?

+2

How "small" is small?

A hernia becomes dangeous when it is big enough to allow ANY contents to become STUCK in it (ie become INCARCERATED) or worse yet, become stuck and twisted so that blood stops flowing to the organs/tissues in the hernia (ie STRANGULATED).

A large hernia is painful and tiring but things almost never get stuck in and can be pushed back in the belly (REDUCED). A REAL SMALL hernia is a small opening which does not allow things to pooch out. All the in between opening pose a danger at some point in the future.

Just like holes in your home's wall do not seal themselves. neither do hernias. They require a surgical repair. The technique used depends on YOUR particular anatomy and your surgeon's preference.

Good Luck

Memphis, TN

Umbilical hernia

+2

There is no exercise that I know of that will train the belly button to go in on its on. Most general surgeons will tell you to have the umbilical hernia fixed to avoid tissue such as omentum and small bowel, which would require emergency surgery, getting stuck in the hernia. Most patients will require more then a local anesthetic to have an umbilical hernia fixed.

Long Island City Plastic Surgeon

Umbilical hernia

+1

Thank you for your question and photograph.  I am not aware of any non-surgical method to correct an umbilical hernia.  The main concern with any hernia is if the intestines get trapped in the hernia and cannot be reduced back into the abdomen.  I would check with your general surgeon to asses your risk of future problems.  Generally speaking, these types of hernias can be repaired very easily, sometimes under local anesthesia.  Good Luck!

Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Minimal risk with untreated umbilical hernia

+1

There is the remote chance that some tissue could get trapped in your hernia which coulc create a medical condition.  This is very unlikely.

Fixing an umbilical hernia is simple in most cases and can be done with local anesthesia.

If you train your umbilicus to turn in, let me know.

Web reference: http://www.zubowicz.com

Stages of a hernia and the risks: Why repair it?

+1

You may want to try core strengthening exercises but sometimes any strain can make hernia worse.

There are three stages of a hernia:

1. Reducible: contents slide in and out of hernia. Pain comes and goes.
  2. Incarcerated: contents get stuck in hernia and often cause constant ache
  3. Strangulated: contents are constricted and blood supply is compromised causing tissue death and possible bowel rupture.

Because hernias may progress from 1 to 2 to 3, we repair them at an early stage. However, some hernias may never progress.

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/tummy.html