Fluid and Blood Clot Discharge After Tummy Tuck

It's almost 5 weeks since my Tummy Tuck. 2 weeks ago, fluid started leaking from my incision (a red watery fluid), which my plastic surgeon told me it was seroma and that it needs to come out, it's not harmful, and that I just need to wear my binder tighter. Another 2 weeks have passed and the fluid is still coming out more than before. Now I have a small hole (smaller than a dime) under my belly button and yesterday, a clot came out. Is it normal? Or is there anything that must be done? Please advise. I will say besides this hole, the entire incision is healed.

Persistent drainage after tummy tuck

+1

It is difficult to assess from a message if this is a big or a small clot.

Most likely it sounds as if it was a relatively small clot and is probably of no significance.

It sounds as if things are under control. Occasionally a permanent suture may act as a source of persistent drainage and may need to be removed in order for the drainage to cease.

Alternatively, if a mesh placement or hernia repair was perfromed, this may require other treamtents.

Fluid after Tummy Tuck

+1

This is not normal, bu sounds like you had a seroma like your surgeon said. If there is no fluid draining it could be that the seroma is dried up. The one thing I would like to know is if there hole is begining to close. If not, there may be a permanent suture underneath the area that could be irritating and preventing the hole to not close.

Farbod Esmailian, MD