Best Scar Treatment After Full Tummy Tuck?

Prescription or non-prescription. I want to be sure to do the right thing to ensure my scars heal properly and are less noticeable. What's best in your professional opinion? Thank you.

BestTummy Tuck Scar Treatment-1540 Fractional Erbium laser

+5

Thank you for your question. Massage and a topical cream like Scar Guard can help improve the Tummy Tuck Scar.

However if the Full Tummy Tuck scar becomes red, irritated or lumpy, Laser Treatments using the 1540 Fractional Non ablative Laser can be very helpful. See link below.

Management of the abdominoplasty scar

+3

There are silicone sheeting strips that are custom made for the abdominoplasty scar and can be searched for online.

I, myself, prefer to recommend paper tape on the wound for about 3 months. It is easy, applied once a week, and cost effective.

Avoiding sun exposure and excessive tension is also important as well as tobacco products.

+2

Your plastic surgeon will have his/her preference when it comes to incision line “care”.  For example, some plastic surgeons prefer the use of tape ( applying pressure) along the incision line. The use of silicone-based products (creams or sheeting)  may also be helpful in achieving the best scars possible.

Proactive scar management after an abdominoplasty

+2

There are several things that can be done in a proactive manner to improve scarring after an abdominoplasty.  It starts in the OR and the techniques used to close the scar without placing tension on the skin but on the deeper tissues.  Next I Like to keep the scar taped for the first 3 weeks this keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  From the third week to the third month using a silicone product over the scar helps.

Improving Tummy Tuck Scars

+2

I often combine tummy tuck surgery with a very regimented postoperative scar regimen that includes laser treatment with PDL, TAC injection, digital massage, topical creams, and topical applicators.

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Best tummy tuck scar treatment

+2

Scar is the glue that binds all wounds regardless of how the wounding took place.

Some wounds heal poorly / insufficiently and the wounds either widen or open up - this is seen in people with systemic diseases, malnutrition, radiated areas or when the wound edges were placed under great tension.

Other wounds heal excessively well and the scar rises out from the divide between the wound edges. This is referred to as SCAR HYPERTROPHY. (THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A KELOID - which is in a separate sub-class of this category). Scar hypertrophy is usually seen in certain ethnic groups, wounds exposed to UV light or sun and in wounds involving areas under movement (such as knees, shoulders, middle of the chest etc).

Although you cannot change your genetic code and your ethnic background, you can LESSEN factors such as tension, UV light and reduce tension on the wound edges. Moreover, it has been shown that using sunblock, mederma and silicone containing dressings or tape can lower the likelihood of raised scars.

Scar gels

+1
There are some new scar gels which contain growth factors, which we have found to be very helpful in fading the scar.

Gary Lawton, MD, FACS
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Scar care after tummy tuck

+1
Thank you for your post. In tummy tuck and other lift/tightening surgeries, tension is the enemy. The scar is healing gradually over 12 weeks or so, and until it is strong, it is the weakest link. As there is a great deal of tension in tummy tucks, body lifts, breast lifts, etc., the scar is at high risk of 'stretching' or widening. Silicone sheeting, although having the ability to make a scar flat, does nothing to prevent stretching of the scar. Creams or steroids also do not have the ability to prevent stretching of the scar. Only tension reduction has the ability to keep the scar as thin as possible. You may notice in a lot of tummy tuck scars that the center portion of the scar is the widest with the sides toward the hips being the thinnest. This is because the maximum tension is at the center, and least amount on the sides. Embrace removes a lot of the tension by putting more tension on the skin on either side of the incision and drawing the incision together. It is expensive though at about $100 per week for 12 weeks. When patients do not want to spend the money for embrace, I tape the incision trying to remove as much tension as possible for 12 weeks and recommend no stretching back and to sit most of the time, keeping tension off the scar.
Pablo Prichard, MD

Pablo Prichard, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon

Best scar treatment after full tummy tuck?

+1
Hello! Thank you for the question! It is common for scars to fully mature for up to a year. In the meantime, there are a few things that may help to ameliorate your incision/scar. The most proven (as well as cheapest) modality is simple scar massage. Applying pressure and massaging the well-healed scar has been shown to improve the appearance as it breaks up the scar tissue, hopefully producing the finest scar as possible. Other things that have been shown to add some benefit, albeit controversial, are silicone sheets, hydration, and topical steroids. These can usually be started at approximately 3-4 weeks postop and when incisions healed. In addition, avoidance of direct sunlight to the incision will significantly help the appearance as they tend to discolor with UV light during the healing process. Scars will never disappear, but attempt is made to make the finest scar in a concealed location.

If unsightly scars are still present after approximately a year's time, other things that your surgeon may consider are intralesional steroid injections, laser, or just surgical revision of the scar itself.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Minimizing tummy tuck scars

+1
I recommend my patients start scar treatment after the Steri-Strips have fallen off. A good silicone cream that is applied topically and silicone sheeting can help. In fact these products can help with old scars as well. I have found that microneedling can also help. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD