Best Scar Treatment After Full Tummy Tuck?

Prescription or non-prescription. I want to be sure to do the right thing to ensure my scars heal properly and are less noticeable. What's best in your professional opinion? Thank you.

BestTummy Tuck Scar Treatment-1540 Fractional Erbium laser

+5

Thank you for your question. Massage and a topical cream like Scar Guard can help improve the Tummy Tuck Scar.

However if the Full Tummy Tuck scar becomes red, irritated or lumpy, Laser Treatments using the 1540 Fractional Non ablative Laser can be very helpful. See link below.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/scar-removal/new-laser-scar-removal-treatment-with-starlux-1540-non-ablative-fractional-laser/

Management of the abdominoplasty scar

+5

There are silicone sheeting strips that are custom made for the abdominoplasty scar and can be searched for online.

I, myself, prefer to recommend paper tape on the wound for about 3 months. It is easy, applied once a week, and cost effective.

Avoiding sun exposure and excessive tension is also important as well as tobacco products.

Proactive scar management after an abdominoplasty

+3

There are several things that can be done in a proactive manner to improve scarring after an abdominoplasty.  It starts in the OR and the techniques used to close the scar without placing tension on the skin but on the deeper tissues.  Next I Like to keep the scar taped for the first 3 weeks this keeps some of the early tension off of the scar.  From the third week to the third month using a silicone product over the scar helps.

Improving Tummy Tuck Scars

+2

I often combine tummy tuck surgery with a very regimented postoperative scar regimen that includes laser treatment with PDL, TAC injection, digital massage, topical creams, and topical applicators.

Best tummy tuck scar treatment

+2

Scar is the glue that binds all wounds regardless of how the wounding took place.

Some wounds heal poorly / insufficiently and the wounds either widen or open up - this is seen in people with systemic diseases, malnutrition, radiated areas or when the wound edges were placed under great tension.

Other wounds heal excessively well and the scar rises out from the divide between the wound edges. This is referred to as SCAR HYPERTROPHY. (THIS IS NOT THE SAME AS A KELOID - which is in a separate sub-class of this category). Scar hypertrophy is usually seen in certain ethnic groups, wounds exposed to UV light or sun and in wounds involving areas under movement (such as knees, shoulders, middle of the chest etc).

Although you cannot change your genetic code and your ethnic background, you can LESSEN factors such as tension, UV light and reduce tension on the wound edges. Moreover, it has been shown that using sunblock, mederma and silicone containing dressings or tape can lower the likelihood of raised scars.

Scar Treatment.

+1

There are manny prescript and non prescript medication, but there are two very effective after any surgical procedure Scarguard and Biocorneum.

Scar Cream

+1

We have found “Scarguard MD” – in the physician prescribed strength- to be the best cream to hasten flattening, softening and decreasing redness in scars after tummy tucks.

Albany Plastic Surgeon

Scar treatment

+1

Silicone sheeting is the "top of the line" treatment for scar therapy, but is hard to use all the time. Scar creams such as Mederma or Scarguard are much easier to use, and might be good enough. I've written a page about scar care - please visit my site to review it. I also have some references as to where obtain the products.

Web reference: http://www.drmichaelbogdan.com/resources/scar_care.cfm