Consequences of Not Wearing the Binder After Tummy Tuck?

I'm 9 days post op Tummy Tuck. I was asked to wear a binder for 6-8 weeks if not my stomach would get bigger. It it is very uncomfortable and caused my cut to bleed. Is this normal? And if I don't wear the binder will my stomach really get bigger?

Review it with your doctor

+3

An abdominoplasty binder is supposed to help, not hinder. We use it to help with swelling and some patients find comfort in its support. It sounds like yours is too tight if it caused bleeding in your incision. A binder that is too tight can cause indentations and affect the circulation. Bring it to your doctor and review the way you are wearing it. Your surgeon may recommend that you discard the abdominal binder, or he/she may want to fit you with one that is looser.

Santa Rosa Plastic Surgeon

Importance of Binder after Tummy Tuck

+2

Hi there-

There are tummy tucks, and then there are tummy tucks... What I mean to say is that the importance of the binder to your particular outcome is going to depend on the details of your surgery.

Because this is the case, really the only person who could give you a responsible answer to your question is going to be your surgeon.

I would give him/her a call and ask if the binder is vital to the achievement of your goals, and if there is anything they can recommend to make the binder less uncomfortable to wear. I'm sure they will have the answers you need.

Congratulations on your new body!

Armando Soto, MD, FACS

Call your surgeon regarding stopping the binder after a tummy tuck

+2

You should contact your surgeon in regards to the limitations and recommendations after your tummy tuck surgery. Only he or she will have the best idea if compression is essential to maintaining your result.

If you have had an aggressive diastasis repair use of external compression may be supportive in the same way a cast is useful after repairing a fracture. This may provide rnecessary reinforcement when you cough, sneeze, etc.

If however, the diastasis was minimal, you could easily forego the use of the binder.

Compression garments after tummy tuck

+1
Please ask your surgeon regarding your compression garment. It may not be fitted properly if it's causing problems with your recovery. A compression garment is designed to help ease swelling and facilitate your recovery. It also helps your body conform to its new sleeker contours. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Binder is mainly for support

+1

Depending on the extent of your tummy tuck, the decision as to how long to wear a binder is determined by your plastic surgeon. If your binder is uncomfortable and causing you to bleed, perhaps it is to tight. If you loosen the binder and still continue to have problems, I would recommend contacting your surgeon to discuss whether you should continue to wear the binder.

A binder should help give you support while you heal not cause you discomfort.

David A. Robinson, MD
Munster Plastic Surgeon