Ultrasound Therapy After Tummy Tuck?

I am nearly 3 weeks post tummy tuck with lipo. I am thrilled with my results, but the tightness from swelling is bothering me. I went back to work yesterday and although I'm on light duty and am able to sit often I ended up very swollen by the end of the day. I am still wearing my binder but my belly feels just as tight with it on as it is off. I've used ultrasound therapy in the past for muscle pain. Will it help with the healing process and help to reduce my swelling?

Lymphatic Massage may be better and safer than Ultrasound After Tummy Tuck Surgery

+4

Regarding:  "Ultrasound Therapy After Tummy Tuck?
I am nearly 3 weeks post tummy tuck with lipo. I am thrilled with my results, but the tightness from swelling is bothering me
. I went back to work yesterday and although I'm on light duty and am able to sit often I ended up very swollen by the end of the day. I am still wearing my binder but my belly feels just as tight with it on as it is off. I've used ultrasound therapy in the past for muscle pain. Will it help with the healing process and help to reduce my swelling
?"

Congratulation! The worst is over and the swelling you are experiencing will get better with time. Some of it is brought about by sitting and creating a crease across the tummy. This must be avoided by taking care to stand up at least every 45 minutes and walk around the room for 10-15 minutes as well as avoiding tight compression garments which tend to form constricting rolls.

While ultrasound has been beneficial with bone and ligamentous injuries, I would NOT use it with Tummy Tucks because your feeling is impaired and as a result you have a higher chance for burns. Instead, I think you could do MUCH better by having lymphatic massage a few times a week to reduce swelling.

Good Luck.

Dr. Peter Aldea

Ultrasound after tummy tuck

+2

What you are describing is quite common after a tummy tuck, in the early stages of recovery.  Fortunately, it goes away with time, usually within the next month.

I usually recommend lymphatic drainage massage (since this is a lymphatic-related issue) or synergie.  There are some reports that PEMF (pulsed electromagnetic field) devices are helpful for edema, but I have not tried these yet.  Therapeutic ultrasound can get quite hot - and with the typical post-op numbness, that could be a problem.

Thomas Fiala, MD

Ultrasound scar therapy following tummy tuck

+1

I have not used this modality for scar management or mobilization other than for physical therapy but there are proponents fo this. I would first advise you to first  discuss this option with your surgeon if it is available to you.

Ultrasound after tummy tuck

+1

At four weeks post tummy tuck, you will feel tight and often a bit swollen. Usually this goes away on its own. I have not used ultrasound at this point.