How Often Can Ultherapy or Thermage Be Applied? Do Repetitive Applications Have Any Side Effects or the Opposite?

Ulthera

+2

I prefer Ulthera for skin tightening over radiofrequency (Thermage) because the energy can more precisely be targeted to the layer where it is most beneficial for tightening and lifting. The targeted ultrasound energy encourages your body to make collagen. The younger you are, the better your body is at producing collagen. For older individulals, a second treatment may be beneficial. The earliest I recommend doing so is 6 months. Ultherapy encourages your body to produce collagen which you bank. You will look better in two years, than if you would if you did not have ultherapy. For most of our patients, they will reconsider repeating the treatment after 2 years.

Ultherapy frequence

+2

All of these procedures can be performed multiple times, but 99% of the time they probably are not needed. Results will occur over time and patients need to wait around 6-9 months to see the final results. But treating a second time at that point is fine if the patient and physician agree. 

Michael Gold, MD
Nashville Dermatologic Surgeon

Ulthera can be repeated in 4-6 months; Don't bother with Thermage

+2

Repeat treatments with Ulthera will help you keep up with the aging process.  There is no exact right answer as to when you should do this.  Getting more treatments will only improve the results and won't be harmful.  I have given up on Thermage 3 years ago when I got the Ulthera because results are so much better and more consistent with Ulthera.  Read my blog about RF devices and see why Thermage doesn't work well.  Infini is a good skin tightener too and it's full ability has yet to be determined.  Steve Weiner, MD, Facial Plastic Surgeon, Panama City Beach, Fl.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Ultherapy

+2

Ultherapy can be done within 6 months of the first treatment. Patients with thick or heavy skin may need a second treatment. Otherwise, most patients will see results lasting from 1 to 2 years before thet need another Ulthera treatment.

Gail Nield, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Ultherapy Treatment Can Be Repeated

+1
I have provided "Ultherapy Touch Up" procedures 2-3 years after the initial treatment. Since it is ultrasound focused energy, it does not harm the skin or the SMAS layers, the two layers that it targets. Consider Ultherapy touch ups if you want more tightening or if there is recurrence of skin laxity in the face/neck. Read the Ultherapy book provided on the link below: 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

+1

There is not really a limit on how many times you can have an Ultherapy treatment performed thought most patients choose to do it just once. Ulthera promotes collagen production so multiple treatments will only improve this.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

Ultherapy

+1

Hi. Ultherapy is a fantastic treatment, but only works best when given plenty of time to fully correct. I would not recommend doing a treatment any sooner that 6 months after your previous treatment. As for side effects, there should not be any, other than the usual side effects seen with the first treatment.

Cheryl A. Hull, MD
Rogers Dermatologist

Can Ulthera and Thermage treatments be repeated?

+1

Both Thermage and Ulthera are safe to use and to reuse, but I would wait 6-10 month before repeating either of them. Both devices result in long term effects (1-2 years)

They can be repeated more than once.

Ulthera uses Ultrasound waves to heat the skin deeply, while at the same time projecting on a screen the area that is being treated, thus giving the operator more control.

Thermage uses radiofrequency to heat the skin deeply.

When performed by an experienced operator, there are no untoward effects.

Eugene Mandrea, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Frequency of Ultherapy

+1

I always recommend that an individual may need more than one treatment to achieve their cosmetic goal and at that point maintenance therapy can be done at around 18 months. I find that the optimal time for repeat Ulthera treatment is 4-6 months to stimulate additional collagen stimulation and contraction, while adhering to a strict sun protection and nicotine avoidance regimen.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Brookline Facial Plastic Surgeon