Can an Ultherapy Side Effect Be Burning and Tingling on Scalp?

I had Ultherapy last week. I had facial swelling and some bruising. This week the center part of my scalp has been burning. Are they related? The burning and tingling sensation is on the top center of my scalp.

Ultherapy side effects

+2

Yes,  your scalp burning is due to the Ultherapy energy that heated up a little nerve root.

This is temporary and will usually resolve after 6 weeks.  However usually patients note that any nerve symptoms such as numbness, tingling, or weakness start improving the week following therapy and improve daily.  There have been no world-wide reports of any permanent nerve damage with Ultherapy to date and all cases have resolved within 6 weeks.  (per communication with Ulthera, spring 2013)

We have treated hundreds of patients and a few have experienced some nerve symptoms such as numbness, tingling, and one patient with weak smile muscles, but all symptoms resolved within 4 weeks.

Chicago Dermatologist

Ulthera and Scalp symptoms

+2

Thank you for your question and this is a common one.  The ultrasonic treatment goes below the skin.  Therefore, if treatment is perform over a major nerve root like the  supra-orbital nerves, then there may be some inflammation of the nerves.  This will cause a burning sensation. The good news is that it will resolve completely.

Miguel Delgado, Jr., MD

After Ulthera there is some burning and tingling of scalp, this can be related and will go away quickly

+2

There are nerves in the forehead which travel to the scalp. During Ultherapy, it is possible to bruise these nerves and the result can give you abnormal sensations of the scalp and forehead.  To my knowledge, there have been no reported long term issues with Ulthera.  This should go away within a few weeks I suspect.  

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Tingling of the Scalp Following Ultherapy

+1
Burning or tingling of the scalp rarely occurs with Ultherapy and one can predict this if there is too much pain, burning or tingling DURING the procedure. If this occurs, treatment should stop and the energy level delivered should be reduced. Nevertheless, this sensation should subside within 3 months. 

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Ultherapy Side Effect of Temporary Tingling of the Scalp

+1

Hi Pasadena,   When treating the forehead to lift the eyebrows during an Ultherapy treatment, the supra-orbital nerves (they supply sensation to the forehead) should be avoided.  If the nerve is hit with the Ulthera handpiece transducer then usually the patient will experience a shooting nerve sensation for a micro-second with sometimes a tingling sensation that may last from a few hours to a few days.  The good news is that it always goes away.  In fact the great news about Ulthera is that I am not aware of any permanent adverse events in any of my patients over the past 3 years (or my colleague on the other side of the country, Dr. Steve Weiner's patients).  Not only is Ulthera effective (it is the best non-invasive lifting and tightening treatment of the face and neck), but it is very safe....the combination that we look for when using state of the art aesthetic technologies.  Enjoy the results of your Ultherapy!  Good luck and be well.     Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD