Is Two Months After Breastfeeding Long Enough to Wait, Before I Get Breast Augmentation?

I stopped breastfeeding on February 27th 2012, and I would like to get breast augmentation and a tummy tuck on April 24th. I had a mammogram last week and it made my breast leak a little milk, but they do squeeze them into pancakes. Would I be putting myself at risk by having my surgery not quite two months after nursing?

Wait 6 months before breast augmentation after finishing breast-feeding.

+1

I suggest waiting 6 months or preferably a year after finish breast-feeding before you have breast augmentation surgery. It takes time for the breast gland to return to a normal state after breast-feeding. If you have breast augmentation too early many of the glands are still producing milk, and have not atrophied or reduced in size. You want the gland to be in its final state before surgery. If you have breast augmentation while the gland is still enlarged and it reduces in size later this may affect your result.

Be sure to consult a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, experienced in your procedure, and who has an excellent reputation in your community.

Web reference: http://drseckel.com/surgical-procedures/result-oriented-breast-augmentation-breast-enlargement/

How long to wait for breast augmentation after breastfeeding?

+1

Hi!

I usually suggest around a 6 month waiting period in order to begin
considering a breast augmentation after breastfeeding. You want to
make sure your milk production has completely stopped in order to
minimize any chance of infection. I agree with the other doctors, why
risk it if you can wait? If you have any more questions I would
suggest consulting a board certified plastic surgeon.

Good luck!

Dr. Sam Speron

Breast implants after stopping breast feeding

+1

I suggest you wait  at least 4-6 months for the milk to completely stop and for the breasts to involute a bit before undergoing a breast augmentation.

Breast Aug after Breast Feeding

+1

AAs each patient is different, I would advise a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to review your lifestyle, lifestage, goals, and current medical condition to determine the best course of action.

How long to wait after Breast Feeding to have an Augmentation?

+1

I traditionally tell my patients to wait at least 6 months, sometimes a year. I have two reasons behind the wait, one is for your milk to cease production, this can take a while- up to 6 months, secondly most women put on some some amount of "baby" weight that will come off following the birth of your child. I often tell women to be at a weight were they feel comfortable and can maintain. Some woman achieve this in three months, sometimes it can take a year, everyone is different.

Baton Rouge Plastic Surgeon

Augmentaion After Breast Feeding.

+1

Dear UtahSpaBaby,   As my colleagues have said, there is no hard and fast rule about when to proceed with breast augmentation after you stop breast feeding. The drying up of the milk is considered the gold standard for going ahead with surgery. The timing of this varies widely. Some women dry up within a few weeks, especially if they have had multiple children. Others may take months. If you still have a large discharge right before your surgery date, I would suggest postponing your surgery until you are completely dry. No sense increasing your risk of infection.

Web reference: http://www.mpsmn.com/dr-gervais

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation after Breast Feeding?

+1

Although there is no absolute rule  regarding timing of breast augmentation after completion of breast-feeding, I generally ask patients to wait until the breasts have “dried up” and have returned to their  baseline size/shape. Generally, this may take 3 to 6 months after completion of breast-feeding.

Avoidance of complications should be one of your main goals;  waitt on having to breast augmentation until your situation is as ideal as possible.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/Procedure_breastAugmentation.htm

How long to wait after breast feeding before implants

+1
Since breast milk is a good medium for bacteria, it is best to wait until the nipple discharge has resolved and the breasts have returned to their "normal" size. I suggest patients wait at least six months after breast feeding is stopped. Why rush, when the risk of infection is much greater if you are still having more than an occasional drop of discharge with nipple stimulation. I've never seen a problem with infection in patients that have waited at least six months.
Tucson Plastic Surgeon

How long should I wait after breast feeding to have breast augmentation?

+1

While there is no hard and fast rule for how long to wait, most Plastic Surgeons recommend waiting until there is no evidence of milky discharge from your nipples and until you personally feel that your breast engorgement has resolved.  For many women, this can take at least two months if not longer. 

So why wait?  There are a few reasons:

1.  If your breasts are still engorged, then you may not achieve a cup size you are happy with as your overall volume decreases

2.  There is bacteria in the milk ducts and so if you are still leaking around the time of surgery, there potentially may be a slight increased risk for capsular contracture or hardening of the scar tissue around the implants.

These are probably the most common reasons for waiting.  My personal suggestion to my patients is to wait at least 4-5 months following breast feeding to really make sure that everything has resolved. 

Keep in mind that this is a long-term decision and so timing is critical. 

I hope that helps!

Web reference: http://www.beautybybuford.com/breast/augmentation-denver-co/process/

Denver Plastic Surgeon