Vertical Skin Bunching After Tummy Tuck

I'm 3 days post Tummy tuck. Will this vertical bunching up of my skin after Tummy tuck go away? Doctor said it happened because he had to pull muscles together so tight due to severe separation of muscles.

Vertical bunching after Tummy Tuck will likely need revision

+3

If this bunching does not completely flatten out over the next few months (I suspect that it will not), you will probably require revision of your tummy tuck. Your surgeon is correct about the bunching resulting from the underlying muscle tightening. Although that was likely corrected very well, the overlying skin and fat is not laying correctly and will likely need to be re-draped, or possible converted to a "Fleur-de-lis" pattern for your incision, which would result in an long vertical incision.

Possible Revision After Recovery

+1
Please wait at least a few months before evaluating your results as you are still early in your recovery. However, this problem may not resolve itself to the extent you would like and you may require a revision. 

Jerome Edelstein, MD

Vertical skin redundancy after tummy tuck

+1

This is very early after surgery, and I believe a significant amount of this redundancy will improve with time through the process of apoptosis. However, there some laxity may persist and may require a vertical incision for correction.

Skin bunching after tummy tuck

+1

The skin bunching that you have may be due to not having wide undermining performed at the time of your urgeyr. This may or may not get better with time.

Skin bunching after tummy tuck

+1

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective technique to contour the abdomen. Immediately after a tummy tuck, it is possible to notice some skin wrinkling around the incision. In your case, it is possible that you may require a small revision surgery to remove the bunching that will not settle on its own.

Be sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon as they may recommend a binder or a garment that will help manage the swelling and provide support for your comfort.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

Probably will need some adjustment to get rid of "Bunching"

+1

It is very important for the surgeon to tighten the muscles as your surgeon has. However, he/she may need to separate the fat and skin from the muscle to the sides more so that the bunching is reduced.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD

Skin bunching after Tummy Tuck will improve with time

+1

I expect that the vertical bunching will improve with time, but it is difficult to say if it will resolve completely. It appears that you have a vertical scar from an old procedure, causing some tethering in the mid-abdomen. I will often revise these scars at the time of surgery to allow the tissues to stretch further and prevent the central tethering.

It will likely take three to four months to know for sure if the problem will resolve. If it does not, then some sort of local revision may be required. I would encourage you to discuss it with your surgeon.

Mitchel Krieger, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon