Will Tummy Tuck Really Affect my Waist Size and Curve?

I am scheduled for tummy tuck. I am wondering if my waist will only lose the extra skin or will it actually have an effect on the size and curve.

The nurse said during interview that I won't have lose skin, and it will be all nice and tight. Well, I was all nice and tight during my pregnanies too. So nice and tight doesn't alway work as desired. Can someone answer that for me?

Tummy tuck to tighten waist - look at photos

+3
Some tummy tuck results show a flatter tummy, but not always a smaller waist. It is a high priority to me personally to create a narrow wasit pst tummy tuck.

The permanent sutures that are used to flatten and tighten the abdominal wall are typically placed in the midline. The rectus abdominis muscles, prior to pregnancy, are lined up immediately side-by-side. Expansion of the abdominal wall during pregnancy allows the muscles to stretch apart, leaving a weak layer of fascia (connective tissue) spanning the gap between the two muscles – the medical term for which is diastasis. The midline tightening sutures correct the diastasis and bring the rectus muscles back into a 'side-by-side' configuration, flattening the abdominal wall in the process.
Although this midline tightening dramatically enhances the abdominal profile, it often does adequately address the fact that pregnancy can also wreak havoc on the waist, turning what was formerly an 'hourglass' figure into something that is more cylindrical in shape. For several years now I have been using permanent 'internal corset' sutures, placed laterally in the abdominal wall, that draw the waist inward and restore some of the hourglass effect of abdominal concavity at the waistline in frontal view. The addition of these sutures to midline tightening, and in some cases in place of midline tightening, has allowed me to achieve even more impressive postoperative results.

Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tucks can have a dramatic effect on your waist and curves

+2

Tummy tucks are a very popular and effective technique to contour the abdomen. Patients appreciate the dramatic difference in the size and contour of their abdomen. The most dramatic results are in our larger patients who receive a full or extended tummy tuck. We have had patients who have lost eight dress sizes. Other patients describe losing 2 to 6 inches off their waist. For a beautiful and long-lasting results, work with a board-certified plastic surgeon was a great deal of experience in body contouring surgery, abdominoplasty, and liposuction. Together, you can create a surgical plan that will best meet your needs. Also remember that your surgical results will be complimented by weight loss, participating in a rigorous exercise regimen, and maintaining a balanced low-fat diet.

To learn more about tummy tucks, see photos, and help you decide which one is best for you, please visit us at the link below:

Pat Pazmino, MD

A great tummy tuck result is more than tight skin

+1

Your are absolutely right in your analogy. Tight skin and doesn't always make for a great shape. There are numerous factors that go into a good result. Removing excess skin and fat with muscle approximation is only part of the formula for a great outcome. The amount of intrabdominal fat as well as your bone structure and post-operative exercise regimen will also play a major role in your final appearance.

Tummy tuck and waist

+1

A tummy tuck will tighten the loose skin on your abdomen and will tighten the abdominal musculature to flatten the abdomen.

Lipo and muscle tightening should help your waistline

+1

By tightening the muscles in the midline, your waistline often draws in, although this may be more or less obvious depending on the amount of subcutaneous fat in this area.

If there is extra subcutaneous fat along the waistline, it is safe to have lipo performed to this area at the same time of the tummy tuck.

Good Luck!

Jeffrey Horowitz, MD
Bel Air Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Waist Line

+1

After a tummy tuck you can expect a flatter and tighter abdomen.

You may have the same size waist line you may not.  It is difficult to predict but to decrease your waistline you may need lipo of the hips/flanks during the tummy tuck.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Waist may be larger, smaller, or same after Tummy Tuck

+1

Depending on the style of Tummy Tuck you have, your waist may be larger, smaller, or the same afterward. You may need liposuction of the back of your hips or your abdomen to have a smaller waist. Have that done at the same time.

G. Gregory Gallico III, MD